Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adopted a puppy and need some health!

Real Name
    Brea Wright
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sully
    Likes (Received)

Default Adopted a puppy and need some health!

We adopted a 11 moth old English Bulldog a few weeks after our precious Bulldog Harley died. The new puppy's name is Sully and he is a sweet love bug. However he came from a home where they didn't know how to care for a bulldog so they left him in the kennel ALL THE TIME. He came to us with a terrible skin infection that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear up. He uses the bathroom in his kennel constantly and I'm sure it's because he was raised not ever knowing when and if he was getting out. So how do I fix this?? I appreciate all advise.
    Last edited by breaw1982; 06-08-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Sorry for the typo in the title.

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Adopted a puppy and need some health!

Love patience walks over the top praise when he does go outside I mean throw a party treats loves praise!!!

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person? Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Pati
    Country
    UK-Cardiff
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Agree with Jennifer , he's also still in a potty training stage so he will make loads of mistakes , watch for usual signs sniffing floor ,circling , after eating,chewing or playtime
    Again agree with Jennifer praise and reward when pup went potty into designated area , we used to takeour girls every 2 hours (sometimes earlier -like mentioned before playing ,chewing etc) And once they done potty praise and treats , at that age they cant hold it in yet properly but with patience and consistence they will learn x
    "I use search option before posting new thread "
    Rest In Peace Winston xxx

Shy & Lilly

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

You must think as if he is still a little pup. If he has not been house trained, as was stated, when he goes pee or poop outside, praise him and tell him how good he is, and give him a treat.Make a big happy deal of it!! If he doesn't go-no treat. Food is a motivator for a Bulldog-something special for going potty outside and lots of praise. Keep an eye on him in the house when he is loose-or keep a leash on him and keep him with you-watch for any signs that he might have to go. If he poops in crate-don't punish him-just say no poop in crate-poop outside, and take him out. He will eventually learn-it is not his fault-no one ever taught him.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)

You've gotten great advise. Thank you so much for adopting Sully and giving him a chance at a life full of happiness and love!!!
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

James Hond, My Sunshine

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Clark View Post
    Love patience walks over the top praise when he does go outside I mean throw a party treats loves praise!!!

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"
    Well said

Real Name
    Yvette
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
    Likes (Received)

I would bring him back to puppy basics of keeping him on a strict schedule of eating play and potty. Schedule feedings has a lot to do with training and letting you know when is a good time to go out. I would try and tire him out psychically with walks and play but also his mind with training commands so by the time he goes into crate it's just to sleep as soon as he wakes it's straight outside for potty. Hope you find what works for both of you.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Real Name
    Brea Wright
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sully
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Adopted a puppy and need some help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mia Amor View Post
    I would bring him back to puppy basics of keeping him on a strict schedule of eating play and potty. Schedule feedings has a lot to do with training and letting you know when is a good time to go out. I would try and tire him out psychically with walks and play but also his mind with training commands so by the time he goes into crate it's just to sleep as soon as he wakes it's straight outside for potty. Hope you find what works for both of you.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)
    All great advise! I am thinking about a class they offer at pet smart. We are so glad that he is part of the family.

Real Name
    Brea Wright
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sully
    Likes (Received)

Everyone is offering great advise. He's such a precious and adorable baby.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Adopted a puppy and need some help!

Quote Originally Posted by breaw1982 View Post
    All great advise! I am thinking about a class they offer at pet smart. We are so glad that he is part of the family.
    Thats a great class, Buster graduated the first 2. Money well spent.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, so great that you rescued Sully, it will take time and patience. You have been given great advice already by everyone above. Going back to puppy training basics, and praise is the best way to retrain him. Good luck, and I'm sure with your love and time he will catch on soon.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Can tell already that it will go well, so much love and caring how could it not. Chance and my husband and I plus our afternoon walker will be taking Tuesday night puppy classes at pet smart cant wait to learn a trick or two. Sully is in great hands and huge hearts congrats and bless you for taking him in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads