Help Needed! Adopted a puppy and need some health!

breaw1982

Jun 8, 2014
SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully
We adopted a 11 moth old English Bulldog a few weeks after our precious Bulldog Harley died. The new puppy's name is Sully and he is a sweet love bug. However he came from a home where they didn't know how to care for a bulldog so they left him in the kennel ALL THE TIME. He came to us with a terrible skin infection that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear up. He uses the bathroom in his kennel constantly and I'm sure it's because he was raised not ever knowing when and if he was getting out. So how do I fix this?? I appreciate all advise.

Last edited:

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Love patience walks over the top praise when he does go outside I mean throw a party treats loves praise!!!

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agree with Jennifer , he's also still in a potty training stage so he will make loads of mistakes , watch for usual signs sniffing floor ,circling , after eating,chewing or playtime
Again agree with Jennifer praise and reward when pup went potty into designated area , we used to takeour girls every 2 hours (sometimes earlier -like mentioned before playing ,chewing etc) And once they done potty praise and treats , at that age they cant hold it in yet properly but with patience and consistence they will learn x

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You must think as if he is still a little pup. If he has not been house trained, as was stated, when he goes pee or poop outside, praise him and tell him how good he is, and give him a treat.Make a big happy deal of it!! If he doesn't go-no treat. Food is a motivator for a Bulldog-something special for going potty outside and lots of praise. Keep an eye on him in the house when he is loose-or keep a leash on him and keep him with you-watch for any signs that he might have to go. If he poops in crate-don't punish him-just say no poop in crate-poop outside, and take him out. He will eventually learn-it is not his fault-no one ever taught him.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
You've gotten great advise. Thank you so much for adopting Sully and giving him a chance at a life full of happiness and love!!!

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
I would bring him back to puppy basics of keeping him on a strict schedule of eating play and potty. Schedule feedings has a lot to do with training and letting you know when is a good time to go out. I would try and tire him out psychically with walks and play but also his mind with training commands so by the time he goes into crate it's just to sleep as soon as he wakes it's straight outside for potty. Hope you find what works for both of you.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

OP
B

breaw1982

Jun 8, 2014
SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully
Re: Adopted a puppy and need some help!

I would bring him back to puppy basics of keeping him on a strict schedule of eating play and potty. Schedule feedings has a lot to do with training and letting you know when is a good time to go out. I would try and tire him out psychically with walks and play but also his mind with training commands so by the time he goes into crate it's just to sleep as soon as he wakes it's straight outside for potty. Hope you find what works for both of you.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

All great advise! I am thinking about a class they offer at pet smart. We are so glad that he is part of the family.

OP
B

breaw1982

Jun 8, 2014
SC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sully
Everyone is offering great advise. He's such a precious and adorable baby.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Adopted a puppy and need some help!

All great advise! I am thinking about a class they offer at pet smart. We are so glad that he is part of the family.

Thats a great class, Buster graduated the first 2. Money well spent. :2thumbs:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, so great that you rescued Sully, it will take time and patience. You have been given great advice already by everyone above. Going back to puppy training basics, and praise is the best way to retrain him. Good luck, and I'm sure with your love and time he will catch on soon.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Can tell already that it will go well, so much love and caring how could it not. Chance and my husband and I plus our afternoon walker will be taking Tuesday night puppy classes at pet smart cant wait to learn a trick or two. Sully is in great hands and huge hearts congrats and bless you for taking him in.

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I agree with everyone. Patience and consistency are your two best friends with an EB puppy!!!!!! Since he was never trained I would treat him as you would a puppy and go back to the very basics. Keeping them on a schedule helps and treats, treats and more treats!!! Mine will be 5 months on Monday, we got him when he was 7 weeks. When he was small he couldn't go 20 minutes in between peeing. You have to watch them like a hawk and look for their "signs" until they are trained!

We have a behaviorist that comes to our house often for private lessons and we also attend weekly obedience classes with our puppy and they both say to reward with treats WHILE they are doing their business outside that way they also know why they are being rewarded. I try to think of Patton's brain as a goldfish lol anything after a few seconds and forget it, they forget! Hence why our trainers said to give the treats (and praise) while they are in the act. I also would praise him verbally as well, I'm sure my neighbors thought I was the town looney from my happy dance!

But you'll find what works for you, of course all our babies are different and respond to different techniques. My best advise is an unlimited amount of patience and consistency and you'll see progress before you know it.

Best of luck to you!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you for rescuing..... great advice from the gang!! Best of luck and please keep us posted --- pictures too!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.