I need help - my 8 month old bulldog is pooing in house and isn't even bothered !

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Please do not humanize your dogs behavior. I took my dog outside one time and he peed and pooped. He came back in, jumped up on the recliner, and pooped again. I assume the act of jumping up made his bowels loose more and he wasn't finished outside like I thought he was. Perhaps the same thing happened with your boy trying to get up on the couch. It had nothing to do with sulking and getting back at your wife. Those are human emotions, not animal emotions - if you think about it.
You and your wife are going to interpret his actions with whatever colored glasses you are wearing. All I'm asking is that you step back and look at this from a different angle.
My intention isn't to offend or upset anyone, but to try to help the situation. As I asked before, what has changed in the house? These dogs have high levels of OCD and perhaps he is reacting to changes he doesn't understand. Others have given you great advise as well. Take what you want and good luck.

:goodpost:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
At the age he's at it's not uncommon for them to start testing their boundaries. One of the most common problems, being potty trained and then going potty in the house.

As far as any changes are concerned, there is likely one really big change going on. Testosterone.

The good news is this usually only goes on for a short period of time, as they learn quickly once you get them back to basics again.

Just keep in mind that maybe there is another reason for the behavior, like too much food, not the right food, parasites, ect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
homeriscool

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
At the age he's at it's not uncommon for them to start testing their boundaries. One of the most common problems, being potty trained and then going potty in the house.

As far as any changes are concerned, there is likely one really big change going on. Testosterone.

The good news is this usually only goes on for a short period of time, as they learn quickly once you get them back to basics again.

Just keep in mind that maybe there is another reason for the behavior, like too much food, not the right food, parasites, ect.

good call, he has had to have his testicles removed as they didnt drop. they up near his kidneys. So is testosterone out of the equation now?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
good call, he has had to have his testicles removed as they didnt drop. they up near his kidneys. So is testosterone out of the equation now?

No, testosterone is still present even if neutered , just at much lower levels. Just like teenagers, older puppies go through hormonal stages regardless if they are altered. I call that age the teen years because this is usually when your sweet pup starts being a well defined brat, and seems like every thing you taught them isn't working. They may start fighting with other pets in the house they cuddled with yesterday.

Like I said, if you stick to pretending they are a pup once again, go back to basics on training, and support them during this very emotional time, they will get back on track. :up:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No, testosterone is still present even if neutered , just at much lower levels. Just like teenagers, older puppies go through hormonal stages regardless if they are altered. I call that age the teen years because this is usually when your sweet pup starts being a well defined brat, and seems like every thing you taught them isn't working. They may start fighting with other pets in the house they cuddled with yesterday.

Like I said, if you stick to pretending they are a pup once again, go back to basics on training, and support them during this very emotional time, they will get back on track. :up:

EXCELLENT advice!!

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Hi there,
I'm a new user, and newer bully owner as well. You've gotten a lot of solid advice so far, but I'd like to reaffirm a few bits. I'm not an experienced vet like some of the others here, and am learning bullydom just as you are, so please don't take these as items from an expert :D

First, please try not to use a crate as "punishment". While isolation can work, in short doses, as punishment for an undesired behavior, leaving him crated for long times while the family is at home, can lead to other behaviour issues. Bullies particularly are very pack oriented and even if they are just in the same room as you, seem to want to be close and part of the group.

Second, as others have mentioned, consistency is key. Try to make sure he gets his food at relatively stable times, and his walks at stable times. Depriving him of walks/exercise due to this behaviour seems a bit counter productive. Whatever excess energy he has won't have an outlet. Also, walks can provide a lot of mental stimulation for him as well.

Last, hang in there! I know it can seem frustrating, but patience and maintaining a calm demeanor is very important here. You don't want this to constantly be a stressful experience for him. You want it to be calm and easy, and then praise him effusively, even with high value treats after a "good potty".

Cheers,
Jay and LordNelson

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have two bulldogs and I find that sometimes they have to go outside to do their business separately. They forget what they went out to do because they are playing and if i'm not watching they could have an accident. Usually I can tell when they haven't pooped and I will send them back out. Is he getting distracted outside and you aren't realizing it? I know when it rains also my guys refuse to go out to even pee. I have to pick up all 62lbs of them and shove them out. So I know on those days to make them go out more often as they are so busy trying to go as fast as possible, that sometimes they don't finish and an accident can occur.

Most Reactions