Idea for those of us who cant put bedding in crate...?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8322]baxter[/MENTION] Tiberous What [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] has recommended looks like the perfect solution!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Thanks everyone!

I actually was going to ask - someone here makes crate "bottoms" i recall - i figured if you could make a pad just like those, only make the surface a slick / plastic / silicone surface (instead of fabric), and maybe even make them extra thick, that would probably work.

I will definitely check out these David has suggested though.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thanks everyone!

I actually was going to ask - someone here makes crate "bottoms" i recall - i figured if you could make a pad just like those, only make the surface a slick / plastic / silicone surface (instead of fabric), and maybe even make them extra thick, that would probably work.

I will definitely check out these David has suggested though.

Check with [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

karlajgee

Jun 13, 2014
Buffalo, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy
You know whats funny? I think my bully likes sleeping on the hard plastic rather than having anything else in there. I know what you mean though, cant help but feel bad!!!!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] - I got the crate pads in the mail today. They are hard as a rock! I even laid on it myself, then slid onto my tile to see if I could tell a difference, and there wasn't much difference at all.

I was kind of thinking of something a little softer. I realize soft = short lifespan, but can always buy more.

Do these things soften up over time? Im really shocked how rock hard they are.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
@Baxter Tiberius the ones we got from Primo were kind of hard, but not rock hard. You can squeeze these with your hand. Give them a call and see what they say, maybe they changed the foam inside.

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Ended up going to Target and the placemat /door mat aisle. There are a bunch of door mats / placemats that are cushiony but still not "fabric" feeling. It worked out great for him. Put a thick towel at the base then the door mat on top of that. So he still has the sensation of a slick surface (therefore no peeing) and the comfort of a towel, which he can't actually touch.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ended up going to Target and the placemat /door mat aisle. There are a bunch of door mats / placemats that are cushiony but still not "fabric" feeling. It worked out great for him. Put a thick towel at the base then the door mat on top of that. So he still has the sensation of a slick surface (therefore no peeing) and the comfort of a towel, which he can't actually touch.

I would have never thought of that.... great idea!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I feel and for my guys too, they can't have anything in their crates, no pillows, no blankets, towels, stuffed animals, or pads, as they eat them.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Jeffers pet has beds that are called "prison beds". They look like they are plastic covered ,and like they use in prison-but dog sized.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I was just sitting here watching baxter trying to get comfortable on that *solid* plastic crate bottom he has to sleep on. I feel really bad. The kid can't get comfortable when he's laying on a plush pillow. Let alone a rock solid plastic. He's got to lose circulation to his paws laying on that hard surface.

But if I put bedding in there, he will pee all over it.

So Im thinking. What if there was some sort of padded base, that has plastic on top? Its the texture that makes him do it. Not the fact that its comfortable. Some thick, flexible plastic around the bedding would give him the sensation of a "solid" floor and he wont pee on it. But he'll also sleep better as can kind of "sink in" to his foundation. He wont be sleeping on a slab of rock hard plastic.

Any thoughts on this?

I have the same issues and was turned on to primo pads. They are completely indestructible and are guaranteed as much. All the bulldog breeders I have seen at dog shows use them as well. I ordered them for each crate I have. Leo and Lola have torn up everything else but these have lasted and are super easy to clean. Here is the link:
http://www.primopads.com

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
I was just sitting here watching baxter trying to get comfortable on that *solid* plastic crate bottom he has to sleep on. I feel really bad. The kid can't get comfortable when he's laying on a plush pillow. Let alone a rock solid plastic. He's got to lose circulation to his paws laying on that hard surface.

But if I put bedding in there, he will pee all over it.

So Im thinking. What if there was some sort of padded base, that has plastic on top? Its the texture that makes him do it. Not the fact that its comfortable. Some thick, flexible plastic around the bedding would give him the sensation of a "solid" floor and he wont pee on it. But he'll also sleep better as can kind of "sink in" to his foundation. He wont be sleeping on a slab of rock hard plastic.

Any thoughts on this?

http://www.baxterboo.com/p.cfm/slumber-pet-digital-camo-dog-mat
I bought the bed on the link above for Goob. Its KIND OF cloth like BUT it is water resistant AND I wipe it down with soap and water...If he pees on it...you can wipe it up or throw it in the washing machine. I got it so Goob could lay on something cooler than our carpet...I'm not sure if it will work for you but just thought I'd throw it out there.

20140425_113550.jpg

OpieRay

Aug 19, 2014
Nevada
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Opie
I was having the same problem with Opie. The only thing he likes is a Kong brand crate pad. It's pretty thin and very durable. Everything else he either peed on or chew up. I feel much better with him sleeping on that than nothing at all. We will move it to the living room with us sometimes and he chooses to lay on that now instead of the kitchen floor.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I've seen plastic lined crate mats but no way would I use them, they will eat that up in a heartbeat.

I have blankets now in most of my crates. They do kinda outgrown this problem after age 3. But you know what? They just push it all to the side and lay on the plastic. It's just cooler for them. Now that summer has rolled around, even Molly has given up her spot on the couch. She's been sleeping on the laminate floors !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bullies have always loved sleeping on my ceramic tile floors. We live in Texas where it's hot and the tiles are always cool. Maybe because we wouldn't want to sleep on something hard, we assume they're the same--maybe not!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.