Idea for those of us who cant put bedding in crate...?

• Thread starter Baxter Tiberius
  • Start date
B

Baxter Tiberius

I was just sitting here watching baxter trying to get comfortable on that *solid* plastic crate bottom he has to sleep on. I feel really bad. The kid can't get comfortable when he's laying on a plush pillow. Let alone a rock solid plastic. He's got to lose circulation to his paws laying on that hard surface.

But if I put bedding in there, he will pee all over it.

So Im thinking. What if there was some sort of padded base, that has plastic on top? Its the texture that makes him do it. Not the fact that its comfortable. Some thick, flexible plastic around the bedding would give him the sensation of a "solid" floor and he wont pee on it. But he'll also sleep better as can kind of "sink in" to his foundation. He wont be sleeping on a slab of rock hard plastic.

Any thoughts on this?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sounds interesting

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION].... any thng on the horizon from your creations?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Exactly! LOL

I could totally put something together ghetto-like LOL

I was thinking like that plastic that they wrap a mattress in. When you first buy one. Kinda thick. Not comfortable at all.

But not a garbage bag. Something more sturdy.

I bet it stays COOL and .... anything is better than that hard-*** surface he has to lay on now.

I actually started filling his crate with stuffed animals. So he at least has something to rest his head on. :(

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I think they even make slip covers (like the mattress kind) for pillows... probably for people with lots of allergies or something. You could totally just get a pillow with a slip cover on it for him to sleep on!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I just got a new bed and i purchased a mattress protector that would be perfect for what you are trying to invent. it's plasticy, but smooth, doesn't crinkle too much but it also resists water, sweat, so it doesn't seep through and stain the mattress. Check into one of those.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
After Ace chewed up about 3 beds, and I think its the foam stuffing inside a bed cover that brings out the chewing, but after three no goes and for awhile sleeping on a beach towel, I purchased an anti-fatigue kitchen mat. My idea was al least some padding was better than none. It seemed to be going well for about a month or so and then he chewed it up as well. So back to the beach towel we went

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Don't they sell mattress covers for incontinent kids/people? I bet that would work too.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I've seen plastic lined crate mats but no way would I use them, they will eat that up in a heartbeat.

I have blankets now in most of my crates. They do kinda outgrown this problem after age 3. But you know what? They just push it all to the side and lay on the plastic. It's just cooler for them. Now that summer has rolled around, even Molly has given up her spot on the couch. She's been sleeping on the laminate floors !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I have some friends that their pup would pee only on his bed as well. They bought a small crib matress and cut the tags off and haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use Primo Vinyl Crate Pads, and they work great, plus none of ours have chewed them up either. You can order them with tie downs so they can't get the edge up to chew on it.

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
We had to take the bedding out. I even tried rotating bedding but Canelo would pee on it, then sleep in the mess, which led to a nightly bath and clean up. I hated it so we took it out. He out grew it but it took a while. I felt bad for him but he tends to lay straight on tile to nap too. He still goes in his kennel to nap, all on his own, door open. We call it his room. One thing he does all the time is cock a leg up to hold himself at an angle, even using a human foot, leg, anything, lol.

pe5ubu9y.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We use Prino Vinyl Crate Pads, and they work great, plus none of ours have chewed them up either. You can order them with tie downs so they can't get the edge up to chew on it.

Thanks for the tip David, these look perfect!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.