General Question Is it time to say good bye to his crate?!

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
so I have been thinking about removing Bentley's apartment (crate) -
1. He randomly will sit in there from time to time
2. Little booger hides in there in the morning when he hears the jingling of his tags on his collar- he runs and hides in the wayyyyy back and I won't go in there to grab him , mind you this is at 6 am and he is not ready to be awake
3. He does not touch and or play with anything that isn't his
4. He has not chewed up anything since he was 4 months old
5. He does have 3 other options to rest/sleep on

I'm a little nervous in doing this, I don't think I have ever actually "taken" anything away from him but I really feel like he does not need his apartment any longer.

has anyone ever done this? What was the outcome?

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Diesel doesn't sleep in the crate, he hasn't done so for ages. His crate is still there and sometimes when he just wants to chillax he goes to his haven.
You loose nothing by trying it for a few days ( as long as your baby don't chew )
😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Erica, I unfortunately aren't able to do this because I have both chewers and eaters of anything not nailed down. Lol If Bentley doesn't use it very often, and you said he's proven that he is trustworthy, as he doesn't chew or eat things, then your house and Bentley are both safe. Has he been left alone in the house uncrated? If he has and he's never done anything, then it should be fine to take it down. He has other places he can sleep. You're lucky that he can be free when you're not home. I would probably come home to no furniture, and Dozer would all the soft things in the house, all our socks, towels, and blankets wouldn't have a chance. Plus I've caught him a few times trying to chew electrical cords, especially on my floor lamp, so he wouldn't be safe.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
don't take it away... what I do is leave the door open and Banks comes and goes as she pleases. It is her safe zone, when she goes in we know she does not want to be bothered and we do not touch or acknowledge she is there, so she just chills out. Even, Cheli, our Frenchie knows not to go near her when she does this.... it is a great way from them to know they can go somewhere and just relax.

Annabella

May 16, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella
I took Annabella's crate out 2 weeks ago, she rarely if ever goes in it. When she is troubled or scared she goes under the coffee table. I have a cardboard box that I place her toys in and she pulled a chair pad in there and made it her bed . At 5 am she goes out and does her business, comes in and we give her her big doggie pillow, can't let her have it all night cause she will pee on it. She is having surgery on her knee next Tuesday and I am debating whether or not to bring the crate back in.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd leave it too, its his safe zone and you may need it for one reason or another. Before you take him out close the door so he wont run and hide.

OP
msericathatcher

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
[MENTION=6047]jimmyjj[/MENTION] that's exactly what it is now - open door all the time... Thank goodness he isn't a chewer!
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] bentley has been left uncreated since he was 6 months old - I do bulldog gate him off from the living room during "work hours" only because he has a lobe affair with out white leather couch that he loves to sleep on. Lol oh Dozer... He needs to learn soft things are for snuggling and not eating. I know this one bully who ripped off all the trim in someone's apartment in 2 hours. Furniture is always good to still have after coming home from a long day. Lol
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=9403]Lokismom[/MENTION] see that's what I have always used it for as his relax place. He never gets placed in there or told to go in there, verrrry rarely will he lay in there unless it's time to put his collar or harness on. Which I feel like he is being spiteful cause he just wants to be naked and to go outside he needs his gear on. He knows I won't reach in there for him, I always wanted him to feel safe in there.
[MENTION=8872]Annabella[/MENTION] bentley hides under the coffee table too!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Honestly I put Rocco's crate in the garage months ago and he has been fine ever since. I keep a bed for him in the kitchen (which is the area I lock him in when not home) and leave him a couple of nylabones should he get bored. At night, if he's not in the bed with us he is on his other bed in my room. He is fully potty trained and is not a destructive chewer like he was as a puppy. (Although he did chew up a sandal last week but we usually keep all footwear in the closet. Our mistake) I say it's really up to you. My parent's dog is 13 (Chihuahua) and she gets very aggressive/protective of her crate that has not been closed in years and if you look like you are getting to close she will try and snap at you. I didn't want this to happen with Rocco so once I didn't need the crate for training anymore I removed it.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.