Help! Bad puppy on the loose

dudleyjones

May 30, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley
Hello,
In december my mom and I went halfers on an adorable bulldog puppy. He is very sweet and loves everyone. But we having an unbelievable amount of issues with him right now. For starters, he got very sick with pneumonia in February and had fluid in his lungs. He was on lots of medication, one of which was to help clear the fluid out of his lungs, this made him unable to control his bladder and it was also -50 degrees out and he was unable to go outside. This meant that we had to let him pee in the house on puppy pads, now that he is better and the summer is here we cannot get him to stop peeing in the house. He is aware that what he is doing is bad, but he will not stop. We can have him outside for several hours goes to the washroom outside and then as soon as he gets in the house he will pee. At first we thought he was marking, but when we got him fixed it seemed it got a lot worse.
Also, although we have a bunch of toys for him and the past few times we have the left the house he has destroyed something. First,it was just pulling the laces of our shoes, but then he chewed my moms brand new kitchen chair, then after that it was the brand new rug she bought. We leave our dogs locked in the kitchen when we are gone, as Kane (our mastiff) cannot be crated due to anxiety, and Dudley(our bulldog) throws up every time we try. My mom is a stay at home Mom and is home almost all of the time. We have never had an issue like this with any of our dogs and have exhausted all of our knowledge on what to do here.
Thank you for taking the time to read this, and any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
(Also thought I should mention that we have a 3 year old fixed, male mastiff, who Dudley is always trying to be dominant over.)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well with the peeing in the house, that's all he knows for now and it will take a long time getting him used to going outside. I would put one of his pee pads outside and see if he will go on it. If he does then slowly move it to the grass and after awhile he should get the message. As far as him chewing things up, he is bored and if they are not crated when you are gone, they will find things to entertain themselves with. They will eventually grow out of it, but it is a long time before they do. I would try to crate train him again. Just do it a little at a time until he gets used to it.

OP
D

dudleyjones

May 30, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley
He was crated before but when he got sick with pneumonia, he started throwing up in the crate. Now every time we put him in there, he gets sick. I leave toys and he has the other dog in there with him, but that doesnt stop him either. We are not gone for usually more than 2 hours. I am scared that if i crate him and he throws up, that he will aspirate and we will have the pneumonia again. It was so scary to watch him struggle to breathe like that and we almost lost him from it.

OP
D

dudleyjones

May 30, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley
Ok heres a prime example of today. He was outside all day with us, he has peed many times, and also pooped. When we come inside, he runs into the livingroom and pees on the carpet the he runs to the door. We let him outside, he pees, we praise him. he comes back inside and plays a little bit, and pees again. We take him outside, he pees, i praise him for peeing outside, he comes back in, 15 minutes later, i go down the stairs to grab my phone, he has peed at the top of the stairs. I just dont get it.
When he gets up in the morning he runs to the door, he goes outside for about an hour. He has peed one big pee and a few small pees, and pooped. My mom takes the kids to school and leaves the dogs in the house for the 15 minutes it takes, and he has peed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He is one stinky little bugger.... it took me three years to get my French Bulldog on a schedule and to stop peeing in the house... hence, his nickname "Stinker". We had to really watch him and give a firm NO, when he would show signs of going.

also, have you set boundaries with him on other things in the home? if not... may be try the Nothing in Life is Free technique with him to get him in line and know you mean business and you are boss

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Maybe with the crate leave it open toss a treat in the every so often with out him seeing you do it so he discovers it on his own and goes in there by himself. I am doing that now with my 10wk old and it's working I want her to know it's her little room when she need time to lay or get away. As for the pee do you have him on a schedule? They work let me tell you so you know when to take them out. Pls let us know what works. Good luck.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
Hi there. We got our first Bully 3years ago, his name I Canelo and he was ROTTEN!!! We have two pugs too, but Canelo, OMG, we kept him in a crate and he did pretty good, but it am not lying when I say this he would stop, stare me in the eye, squat and PEE, looking at me the whole time. My husband loves to tell the story of me yelling, "He's staring at me and peeing!" I thought he was being defiant, but he was less than a year old. We were in an apartment with hard floors. I would take all three dogs out every three hours but he would just pee. One night I got up, couldn't sleep, let him out of his crate. He gets on the couch with me and he just peed all over me and the couch. Thankfully the couch is leather.

To add to that, we replaced our dining furniture and people were cracking up while we were shopping "nope Canelo will eat the legs." We found nice furniture wood top, metal legs, Canelo proof. I'm proud to say he's our best dog now but it was tough with him. For peeing, I would say "no, you go outside." When he went outside and did his biz, lots of praise and love. I did restrict him from rooms and he had to stay in the room I was in. Now we don't crate him but he'll go hang out in it, even nap with the door wide open. Keep up the good work, it's a long haul but worth it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I know bullies are harder to housetrain-especially in his case-having been sick. Have you had him checked to make sure that he does not have a UTI? I would make sure of that first. If no UTI, Then I would leash him to me, when I was home-so I could watch him every minute. As mentioned, try bringing one of his used pads outside. It will take a lot of work, but it can be done. Good luck! Also-yes you need to re train him that his crate is a pleasant place-and no blankets or pads in the crate.

OP
D

dudleyjones

May 30, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley
Thank you so much for all the helpful advice! We will be sure to try it and let everyone know how its going. :)

Most Reactions