Playing too rough

Smushface

May 26, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Abrams
When Abrams wants to play, he goes straight for hands and arms and bites HARD. I know he doesnt realize what hes doing but Ive had many times where I cant move my fingers or close my hand for a few minutes because he clamps down so hard. He could care less about his toys or chewies so we resort to putting him in his room which is just the dining room gated off, so he can still see us. Even tonight he started right after coming in from a walk and being outside all day so I wouldnt think its excess energy? Yelling no and ouch doesnt phase him. Hes about a year and half and we've only had him since March, would that make a difference in the approach we should take with him? Just keep up with gating him off? Are there toys you have found that your dogs dont loose interest in?:begging:

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Oh I'm going through this now. Good luck and I hear you we just mat have to stick out the phase. I have used can n coins, spray bottle, time out, redirect, just patience and time I guess. I try and train her when she gets like that so her mind will be on me but not want to attack. Lol good luck

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

chatz

Apr 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
dexter
Few suggestions:

-Exercise the crap out of him. Get him exhausted. Also, grab a basketball. Roll it around and play keep away. Works wonders with my Bully.

-When he bites, yell ouch, say no. Put his butt outside.

-Sometimes you do have to establish dominance (assert yourself as the pack leader). If you don't, your Bulldog may think he needs to be the pack leader as opposed to you. My bulldog will play rough and sometimes I just have to grab him (in a pretty tough fashion), say no, and put him outside. When he comes back in, he knows what he did and he stops. If he continues, he goes back outside. I never hit him, but I do grab him and say "No."

-Diverting attention to a toy of some sort is also a good strategy. We use a basketball. Works wonders.

-My bulldog is 6 months old and his nipping/biting, growling, and rough play has decreased tremendously. Also, when I let him back inside and he's a good boy, I show him plenty of love.

Good luck.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Few suggestions:

-Exercise the crap out of him. Get him exhausted. Also, grab a basketball. Roll it around and play keep away. Works wonders with my Bully.

-When he bites, yell ouch, say no. Put his butt outside.

-Sometimes you do have to establish dominance (assert yourself as the pack leader). If you don't, your Bulldog may think he needs to be the pack leader as opposed to you. My bulldog will play rough and sometimes I just have to grab him (in a pretty tough fashion), say no, and put him outside. When he comes back in, he knows what he did and he stops. If he continues, he goes back outside. I never hit him, but I do grab him and say "No."

-Diverting attention to a toy of some sort is also a good strategy. We use a basketball. Works wonders.

-My bulldog is 6 months old and his nipping/biting, growling, and rough play has decreased tremendously. Also, when I let him back inside and he's a good boy, I show him plenty of love.

Good luck.

Excellent advice for all of the little Bullsharks on here!!

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
My dog loves playing with a squeaky ball. He picks it up, squeaks it, tosses it, bats it around, runs after it. He entertains himself for quite a while with this one toy. Good luck.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
He may not have been socialized enough when he was a pup, so he doesn't know any better. They have to learn at an early age about biting, and how hard they can bite. They will learn this from other pups and their owners when they are very young, but if he was taken away from his litter mates too soon, and his owners didn't teach him, then he doesn't know any better. They all chew and play hard, but must be taught not to bite hard. Every time he comes after your hand, try to keep it out of hid mouth. Put you palm toward his mouth and he can't bite. Then say "no bite". If he does get your hand, then say "OUCH" loudly and then tell him "no bite" and offer him a chew toy. Keep this up and be persistent. If you do exercise him outside, be very careful with the heat, as they will over heat quickly and can die from heat stroke.

Members online

No members online now.