General Question Any service bulls out there?!?

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
I am very interested in getting bentley into service dog training- I keep getting lost in information or a scam.

Is there anyones baby a service pup? Can anyone help with recommendations on where to start?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Erica.... there are two i can think of and I will tag them for you

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Hi there! Yes, Matilda is actually my service dog but training is completely different based on the service they will provide.

I have a heart problem and Matilda alerts me to fainting. What kind of training are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
msericathatcher

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Hiya!

I am am looking to get bentley trained as a psychiatric service dog, one to help children with special needs in and out of hospitals, and in some way participate in the wounded warrior program.

I have him currently set up to start the AKC good citizen program to become certified over summer.

Thank you for your help

SMeyer13

Jun 13, 2013
South Carolina
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Hiya!

I am am looking to get bentley trained as a psychiatric service dog, one to help children with special needs in and out of hospitals, and in some way participate in the wounded warrior program.

I have him currently set up to start the AKC good citizen program to become certified over summer.

Thank you for your help

I believe this is actually a therapy dog rather than service dog. Service dogs go through extensive training to help or alert their owners with issues. A Therapy dog is able to go around to various places and used for different reasons. The training is less extensive.

Tucker is currently in training (albeit at home) to pass his therapy dog test with a local group certified to administer the test. I have similar goals with him. As a teacher, I want to be able to utilize Tucker as a reading buddy for students who find it difficult to read aloud to people. I was told at Tuckers Canine Good Citizen test yesterday that if they can pass that test then they are more than likely prepared to pass the Therapy Dog Test (I still feel more training is needed though). I would look into some of the various therapy dog organizations and find one that suits you best in your area. Therapy Dogs International is one that I was recommended to check out - http://www.tdi-dog.org.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
I believe this is actually a therapy dog rather than service dog. Service dogs go through extensive training to help or alert their owners with issues. A Therapy dog is able to go around to various places and used for different reasons. The training is less extensive.

Tucker is currently in training (albeit at home) to pass his therapy dog test with a local group certified to administer the test. I have similar goals with him. As a teacher, I want to be able to utilize Tucker as a reading buddy for students who find it difficult to read aloud to people. I was told at Tuckers Canine Good Citizen test yesterday that if they can pass that test then they are more than likely prepared to pass the Therapy Dog Test (I still feel more training is needed though). I would look into some of the various therapy dog organizations and find one that suits you best in your area. Therapy Dogs International is one that I was recommended to check out - http://www.tdi-dog.org.

Hit the nail on the head! Unless the dog is performing a specific task - ie, alerting, guiding, picking up objects if you're in a wheelchair, etc., it sounds like your dog will be a therapy dog.

They do use service dogs to assist with PTSD, but they live with their patients (meaning you would be giving your dog to them permanently). They are trained to recognize when their owner goes into flashbacks and alert them out of the thought pattern. Pretty amazing stuff!

Good luck to you! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Been on the farm too long.This is what I thought of when I read the title post thinking it should be under Other Animals.......... bull.jpgMy Bad!

OP
msericathatcher

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
@s meyer31 thank you! I originally thought that was what I was looking to do- then a gentleman at a pet store told me I was looking for service dog training. Too many circles :)

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I joined an organization called Paws for Friendship. They do "therapy" with the dogs. It had no special training, just an evaluation to see if the dog has a good temperment. Once accepted, you just go to nursing homes, schools. hospitals etc. Bogey stopped having fun doing this. The buildings were hot ( we did nursing homes) and the smells... well, lets just say it got his digestive system working on overtime. He never had an accident, but we would have to take frequent trips outside! I saw it was starting to stress him and decided he was not a good candidate. He loved the belly rubs, but even that got old when he got overheated, which happened quickly. The Humane Society offers a therapy training session. Honestly, I am not sure a bulldog could pass the test. It's pretty intense. Good luck! BTW, Paws For Friendship is a national organization. google them- they might be in your area.

foxy131

Feb 15, 2014
We met a lady with a Bulldog right before we picked up Lola who was a therapy dog. Super well behaved dog! She said the training was intense and her pup (3-years old) works super hard!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

schak

Oct 14, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Margie

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
Honestly, I am not sure a bulldog could pass the test. It's pretty intense.

This is a stereotype. My bulldog graduated from service dog school (which is way more intense any therapy dog program) and they told me she was a genius compared to any breed. Don't judge bullies as incapable or dumb, it's just flat out not true. Just like any species, intelligence and ability to learn depends on the individual. ;)

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Lola is certified through Therapy Dogs Incorporated. http://www.therapydogs.com/

CGC is the basic requirement for the big 3 Therapy Dog organizations. (Pet Partners, TD Intl and TD Inc).

Pet partners (Delta Society) has a very good discussion about Service Dog training on their website.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.