Real Name
    erica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Question Any service bulls out there?!?

I am very interested in getting bentley into service dog training- I keep getting lost in information or a scam.

Is there anyones baby a service pup? Can anyone help with recommendations on where to start?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Any service bulls out there?!?

Hi Erica.... there are two i can think of and I will tag them for you
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bully Bootie Duty msericathatcher's Avatar
    Real Name
    erica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Christine!! I appreciate it : )

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there! Yes, Matilda is actually my service dog but training is completely different based on the service they will provide.

I have a heart problem and Matilda alerts me to fainting. What kind of training are you looking for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Name
    erica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Hiya!

I am am looking to get bentley trained as a psychiatric service dog, one to help children with special needs in and out of hospitals, and in some way participate in the wounded warrior program.

I have him currently set up to start the AKC good citizen program to become certified over summer.

Thank you for your help

Country
    U.S.A
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tucker
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by msericathatcher View Post
    Hiya!

I am am looking to get bentley trained as a psychiatric service dog, one to help children with special needs in and out of hospitals, and in some way participate in the wounded warrior program.

I have him currently set up to start the AKC good citizen program to become certified over summer.

Thank you for your help
    I believe this is actually a therapy dog rather than service dog. Service dogs go through extensive training to help or alert their owners with issues. A Therapy dog is able to go around to various places and used for different reasons. The training is less extensive.

Tucker is currently in training (albeit at home) to pass his therapy dog test with a local group certified to administer the test. I have similar goals with him. As a teacher, I want to be able to utilize Tucker as a reading buddy for students who find it difficult to read aloud to people. I was told at Tuckers Canine Good Citizen test yesterday that if they can pass that test then they are more than likely prepared to pass the Therapy Dog Test (I still feel more training is needed though). I would look into some of the various therapy dog organizations and find one that suits you best in your area. Therapy Dogs International is one that I was recommended to check out - http://www.tdi-dog.org.

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SMeyer13 View Post
    I believe this is actually a therapy dog rather than service dog. Service dogs go through extensive training to help or alert their owners with issues. A Therapy dog is able to go around to various places and used for different reasons. The training is less extensive.

Tucker is currently in training (albeit at home) to pass his therapy dog test with a local group certified to administer the test. I have similar goals with him. As a teacher, I want to be able to utilize Tucker as a reading buddy for students who find it difficult to read aloud to people. I was told at Tuckers Canine Good Citizen test yesterday that if they can pass that test then they are more than likely prepared to pass the Therapy Dog Test (I still feel more training is needed though). I would look into some of the various therapy dog organizations and find one that suits you best in your area. Therapy Dogs International is one that I was recommended to check out - http://www.tdi-dog.org.
    Hit the nail on the head! Unless the dog is performing a specific task - ie, alerting, guiding, picking up objects if you're in a wheelchair, etc., it sounds like your dog will be a therapy dog.

They do use service dogs to assist with PTSD, but they live with their patients (meaning you would be giving your dog to them permanently). They are trained to recognize when their owner goes into flashbacks and alert them out of the thought pattern. Pretty amazing stuff!

Good luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Been on the farm too long.This is what I thought of when I read the title post thinking it should be under Other Animals..........-bull-jpgMy Bad!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Real Name
    erica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley
    Likes (Received)

@s meyer31 thank you! I originally thought that was what I was looking to do- then a gentleman at a pet store told me I was looking for service dog training. Too many circles

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Mary
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bogey
    Likes (Received)

I joined an organization called Paws for Friendship. They do "therapy" with the dogs. It had no special training, just an evaluation to see if the dog has a good temperment. Once accepted, you just go to nursing homes, schools. hospitals etc. Bogey stopped having fun doing this. The buildings were hot ( we did nursing homes) and the smells... well, lets just say it got his digestive system working on overtime. He never had an accident, but we would have to take frequent trips outside! I saw it was starting to stress him and decided he was not a good candidate. He loved the belly rubs, but even that got old when he got overheated, which happened quickly. The Humane Society offers a therapy training session. Honestly, I am not sure a bulldog could pass the test. It's pretty intense. Good luck! BTW, Paws For Friendship is a national organization. google them- they might be in your area.
    "We never really own a dog as much as they own us!"

We met a lady with a Bulldog right before we picked up Lola who was a therapy dog. Super well behaved dog! She said the training was intense and her pup (3-years old) works super hard!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

agingermom's minion and cabana boy Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    jimmy
    Country
    Scotland .
    Bulldog(s) Names
    diesel - paisley & nula
    Likes (Received)

Lol, a bully's a bully 🙈

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads