Help. At our wits end.

2BulldogsandaBoxer

Feb 8, 2014
NC
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy & Holly
Buddy and Holly are now 5 months old. He is doing great! He is finally getting it and rarely has an accident in the house anymore.....Holly not so much. :( For example: it's raining tonight and she flat out refused to go potty outside. Stood there for 20 minutes trying to get back to the deck to lick water. Today alone she peed twice in the kitchen and once in the crate & pooped once in the kitchen. We literally walk them every 2 hrs. And they go 7-8hrs at bedtime with no accidents. We've tried praise and treats and are out of ideas. What gives?????? Help!!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400211519.397458.jpg

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ok try this it was our fall back recommended method from daycare when regular training doesn't work. It requires a little extra effort but worth it
The potty gods!!
Make a shake can a pop can with a few coins or metal screws inside. Secure the top by taping over it very well with duct tape.
Watch her ALL the time when she is out of the crate but don't let her know you are watching
This may mean less out of the crate time for a bit btw.
Keep a shake can close by any time she is out. As soon as she starts to squat, throw the can at her. ( don't hit her or at least not hard) it makes a very loud sound. The important part is that she doesn't know YOU did this if you have to hide behind a conrer , so be it. Then walk in take her right out amd prais and treat outside immediately after she goes. If s he won't gp while you are out, come back in and repeat the process.
The main reason you want her to think " the gods " did this os that she won't get in the habit of just doing it when no one is around. Also otnis VERY important that this os consistently used. Try not to let her have accidents while you aren't watching
You want her to NOT Want to go in the house because everyone time she tries, thisncrazy thing happens out of nowhere
It works very quickly if you are consistant

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
My two caught on slow duchess was like 7-8 months old before she was 100% accident free- duke was like 10-11 months

B

Baxter Tiberius

I'm going to tell you what I wish someone had told me the first 11 months of potty training (yes I said 11 months)

1) English bulldogs don't always potty train in 11 weeks like most dogs. Sometimes (often?) it can take 11 months.
2) English bulldogs will eventually get it. Its moreso about you putting all your energy into being patient and waiting it out.
3) Expect the failures to continue for up to 1 year. Then you wont be so disappointed or frustrated.
4) Expect the improvement to be gradual. Base the success on a monthly basis. Not a daily basis. Not a weekly basis. Compare them to how they were a full month ago.

At about 6-8 months, something seems to switch in their heads, and they really start to get it (among my friends who have pups Baxters age local here in Miami).

Just try to repeat to yourself: "This is normal, and it might even last another 6 months. That's normal too"

Buy stock in a paper towel company like I did. Get the Natures Secret spray by the gallon, and give it time

-B-

PS: As for the can idea - this is actually a technique suggested by the Dog Whisperer so its not a bad one at all. You dont have to hit them lol ... even lightly. But here's the problem: I could never use that technique. Because I would actually catch Baxter maybe 1% of the time. He had a talent for pissing and pooping when I would leave the room for 20 seconds. There is no way I'd ever have the time to hide behind corners and wait for him to do it. He never would. It was totally random and always unexpected.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
The other less intense option we used to recommend is to simply teether her to you anytime she is out ams you can't watch her intensely like when you are cooking dinner Just attach a leash through your belt loop. That way she isn't far from you amd you can see her all the time. Same procedure ifnshe starys to squat , tell her no take her out . If she doesn't go . repeat
Of shw does lots of praise and treat right away. It's even better if you can catch her before she squats in the sniffing phase

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
It takes a long time to potty train. Meatball still has accidents! He's 2. Not often but they do happen, always pee, never poo. I just think english bulldogs. It seems more people own one with potty issues here and there than people who own a completely housebroken for life bulldog. Hang in there.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
The other less intense option we used to recommend is to simply teether her to you anytime she is out ams you can't watch her intensely like when you are cooking dinner Just attach a leash through your belt loop. That way she isn't far from you amd you can see her all the time. Same procedure ifnshe starys to squat , tell her no take her out . If she doesn't go . repeat
Of shw does lots of praise and treat right away. It's even better if you can catch her before she squats in the sniffing phase

good tip! :yes:

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
It took a long time for Izzy too.... then once she stopped peeing in the house she would still pee in her crate. She would also do #2 step on it and even lay on it... my little PIGGY!

Then one day she stopped... no more accidents.... Alleluia!

Then recently she had a major accident at home because she ate the food of 4 other dogs :hangover:and when I got home... I saw her first in the corner... super upset! Then I walked into my living room and there it was! Of course I didnt reprimend her... it was an accident... but just by looking at her I knew she knows that potty is only outside! Izzy is 19 months old.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I've lucked out with my 10 month EB and he has not had a mistake in the house since he was 4.5 months. My other two non-EBs were house broken by 10 weeks and 12 weeks.

One thing I noticed on your post is that it was raining Holly refused to go out on the deck. My female Bugg has to literally be force out when it rains, snows etc (esp. when we were on the east coast). She hates getting wet. The only way she would go out is if I went out with her and took her on a walk. I couldn't let her out back because she would do just like Holly - essentially say "eff this" and stand at the door. I also got her a rain coat. I would then walk her until she went. This meant a lot of stopping and going. She was fully house broken by 10 wks. It sucks walking them in the rain, but when they are young and can't hold it as long, you just got to establish that is where you go rain, shine, snow - so on and so forth, even if it means you're out in the rain with them walking around for 30 minutes.

You've got some great suggestion above and I wish you all the best of luck.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online