Help Needed! 6 Month old, Littermate, Male and Female Bulldogs have begun to fight very aggressively (they are not playing)

cottaviano

May 15, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tony and Bella
I am looking for help with my two 6 month old, 15-20 lb, English Bulldogs. They are littermates, one male and one female. In the past few months they have begun aggressively fighting (not play fighting but actual fighting). It happens instantly and can be over a piece of food or toy. They have left marks on each other. The frequency of this fighting is increasing and I fear that one of them will get seriously hurt.

The thought of getting rid of Tony or Bella breaks my heart to pieces. I am in tears as I write this post.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas on what to do?

Feeling completely helpless!
Christina

Last edited:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would remove all toys and feed them separately. Maybe take them for long walks and tire them out a little? I don't know where you are located but it has been a long cold winter for alot of us and more than a few bullies are getting cabin fever. Keep an eye on body language. Any staring, or rigid body language is no good and you must immediately redirect them. Have they had complete physicals? Maybe one of them isn't feeling well and is cranky?? Start out trying these changes, if nothing works, I would call in a behaviorist. Good luck. Don't make any decisions about rehoming anyone until we have tried everything. We are all here for you. Good luck keep us posted.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi
I have 2 pups as well as a 17 month old. The play fight at the min.
I hope when they get older they don't start fighting for real, I have ( tonight ) contacted
a behavioural class and after that there's a puppy ring class, have you done any obedience training ?
Also a long walk to tire them should help

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I don't have experience w/this, but I will tag some members who do...

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Good advice given above! definitely do some basic obedience training at the very least, and bring in good trainer for more individual behavioral training for the two of them if at all possible. Is the little boy neutered yet? not always going to tame the aggression but that may help. Like Rosalie said, i would feed them separately and give treats separately as well. Mine fought quite a bit when they were younger...at least once a week but now they are 3yo and it's much less. Definitely make sure they are walked regularly, and walked together...this will help them focus on other things besides each other, while in neutral territory.

Good luck and please do not give up! it WILL GET BETTER!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello Christina..... :welcome3: to EBN.

Nothing in Life is free is a training technique that will help you... make them work for everything they get and remember, if they sense your are tense or nervous it will add to their behavior. As cute and squeezable as they are, they need to know you are boss and your do not agree with the behavior.... as Rosalie stated, what for stare, body language and triggers.

stay with us, we can help you through, but it will be some work to get them settled in

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have a male and female siblings, and litter mates, they are 27 months old now. I don't have any experience with the fighting or aggression you are seeing with your guys, but mine did go through a period when they were young, around the same age as yours, where they would sometimes play a little too rough, they would fight over the same toy, and would bite on each others ears a lot, or on each others legs. Mine would do what I called ramming each other, they would crouch down on the ground and bum would be up in the air, and they would sit still for a minute, and then WHAM, all of a sudden one would ram the other and send him flying. They did outgrow it, and they still play rough sometimes, but they don't hurt each other. I agree with above comments regarding trying to separate them when they get rough, feed them separately, and try talking to a trainer, they may be able to give you some suggestions. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online