General Question sudden aggression toward other pet!

DixieKooper09

Aug 8, 2013
Oceanside, California, United States ( Native Sout
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dixie and Kooper
Hey everyone!! Its been a long time since I have posted about my babies Dixie and Kooper! They are doing great! Both are 1 year old now and it seems as if Dixie is dealing with some inner demons! :evil:
Lately Dixie will be terribly aggressive to Kooper! At first I thought it was over dominating the food container which is out in plain view all the time, but more times than I can count, Dixie will walk up to Kooper and snarl at him then will attack him! he defends himself, but Dixie will pretty much tear him up. The last couple of times, tonight being one of them, she has made him bleed. His face is all chewed up and she actually hurt him bad enough one day that caused him to limp! He is NOT aggressive or needs to show dominance EVER. He is very laid back and chill, where as Dixie is high strung all the time and is an attention hog! I've looked at every thing that may be causing her to become angry with him. During feedings I have to stay with them because she will walk up to him and attack him while he is eating, I've not shown either one of them attention while I'm present and the assaults continue. Kooper can be across the yard laying down in the shade and she will come up to him, snarl then attack! this has gotten bad enough that I have to keep them separated while im away. Is this normal for bulldogs? Will it stop? should I get her fixed? will that help? :unsure::pray:

Thanks!
Ashley

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ashley, I'm so sorry! I've had dogs & cats too that fought, it's horrible!
I'd keep them separated when you're home also until it's resolved. It
may be hormonal & dominance issues or could be a medical issue like
thyroid out of whack, etc. She needs blood labs drawn, could be done
as part of her spay *be sure to discuss all w/vet so all can be checked
and ruled out. Separate rooms (gated off) or one out & one crated, do
not wait until a serious injury & permanet damage. Also, the longer it
continues the harder to stop it and it will escalate. Will pray for y'all <3

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Is she coming into heat?

That can bring the demon out. Definitely get her spayed and neuter your guy. I had Lola spayed at 6 months of age.

Are they in dog school? Training can give you the resources to help develop interventions. Lola had demons for awhile but training helped her move beyond them in her relationships with other dogs.

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/program.cfm

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i had the same exactly issue begin with Banks and Nitschke around the same age.... Banks, my girl is just a very, very dominate girl and we ended up having her and us in training classes for a good year to get to learn her body language and triggers. Nitshcke was boy boy, a year older than her and he was very docile and just LOVED everything and everyone.

A big technique that helped us is using the 'Noting in Life is Free' training... Banks even now at the age of 8.5 has to work for anything she gets, meals, treats, attention, and she has to wait for command to get in bed at night and she walks behind us... everything to keep her dominance in check.

Getting her spay may help some as I would think that is just like us with PMS at times. i would also check to make sure your boy is not sick or injured in anyway as she may be doing it because she sees him as a weak link in the pack

Pitahamm

Jan 14, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Hamm
I can relate to what you are saying. I have an 8month old bullie who has suddently become aggressive toward my golden who is 3. It is happening more and more frequently. Sometimes it is over food, sometimes a toy and sometimes it is completely random. They both play pretty rough with one another, so sometimes that will get something started. I am trying to pay less attention to Mr. Hamm (the bulldog, who I must admit has got all of our attention ...he is too dang cute!) and reinforce my position as pack leader. If he starts the fight i will put him in a sit stay for awhile. Not sure if that is the right thing to do. I am also trying to pay closer attention to them and reward both of them when I see them playing nicely or giving each other kisses. I am not sure how to teach them to play more gently. I'll be watching to see what kind of advice you get, and hope to hear what is working for you.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.