Lab guy soon to be EB guy with training ?

Dawg Pound

May 8, 2014
Chagrin Falls Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
I've always have had Labs. After putting Rudder down at the age of 12 last year we decided to give it some time before getting another pup. Labs as most know have a great deal of energy (something my wife didn't want to deal with while raising our 2 daughters and working a stressful job). I can relate to my wife as I work a lot of hours sometimes and do not have the time to put into all the training I once did. My labs have always been very loving and obedient. Friends and neighbors would always compliment my pups for their obedience and would ask if I could train their dogs. To make a long story short, we decided on a EB for our next family member. His name is Dozer and we pick him up in a few weeks. The wife and I wanted to name him Tater but my daughters didn't like the name. They are 7 and 8 and Tater reminds them of the saying "you got taters in your ears".

My question about training EB's stems from a lot of the research I've done on this site. EB's tend to be bullheaded which seems to be the consensus in a lot of the posts. Labs tend to pick up training quickly and have a drive to learn. Do you all find EB's to be easy to train or do they want to do what they want to do most of the time? I realize that patience is important in training. Will I need to say the serenity prayer a lot:pray:? Can someone point me in the direction of some literature on specifically training a EB?

Thank you
Tim

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Well Tim I don't so much think it's stubbornness as it is them trying to figure out how it benefits them my bully isn't so much food driven as he is praise driven he LOVES hearing he is a good boy but a great deal of bullies ARE food motivated find that much covered treat and use that as a training tool. First and foremost you have to make sure your bully knows where it stands in the pack order a bully that knows his place is a comfy bully. Bullies are very social and love being with family so as a discipline you can put them in another room for a short period as a" time out". Generally though yes patience and perseverance are key in training a bully.

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

OP
Dawg Pound

Dawg Pound

May 8, 2014
Chagrin Falls Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Thank you. I'm sure it will be a learning experience for the whole family. I've never had a pup that was food motivated before and look forward to finding out what Dozer will choose.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
My Harlea was easy to train for most basic commands such as sit, stay, down, high five and walking on a leash. However, come is another story. As [MENTION=8610]Jennifer Clark[/MENTION] stated bullies will think and contemplate what you have asked them to do and how they can benefit from it. Most bullies are very food motivated so identifying his his value treat will help tremendously with training and as you work with him slowly reduce the treats until you eventually aren't giving them at all. Also, keep in mind that some bullies have the attention span of a gnat so frequent short training sessions a day work much better than one long one.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I had/have the same experience as Todd stated above. Dooley was easy to train for the most part. He loves green beans so he knows if he does what I say he gets one. This helped keep him motivated.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You have some great advise above already. Bullies do work for food, and also somethings have to be their idea or on their time. Just keep if fun for them and don't punish too much, because if you loose their respect, they won't do anything for you. Plus remember to monitor them outside, as they can not handle the heat. Plus welcome to the site and looking forward in seeing more pics of your baby.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I have 2 boys and they learned all of their basic commands quickly but have no interest in any type of tricks..even a handshake is a stretch if they don't feel like doing it..however if I get treats out I don't even need to give a command they will automatically go to their spot and lie down and wait..my younger boy Romeo was tough to house train mostly I think because he was almost 5 months and was on a farm where I don't think he even was in the house but when he finally got it he was great..

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
clicker training

Read the book "When pigs fly"

personally I found my lab to be much more food motivated.

Consistency and frequent short training sessions.

The difference between labs and bullies are you have to explain why it is a good idea to carry though on requests. I think you will find positive training works best.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bullheaded is really them deciding if they want to do what you ask, for what you are offering them ;)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yep! They are thinkers, so they really do make decisions and don't just listen to your every command. I love this about them. They remind me of my skin kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyStellaBully

Aug 20, 2013
Geneva, Illinois
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
We had a lab for 13 years before getting our first bulldog. It is definitely a change in lifestyle. Gone are the days of swimming and training and competing in agility! But the couch time has been a welcomed relaxation! Stella will be one next week. We started her in puppy classes at 3 mos of age. Bullies are very motivated by treats. Her trainer was very impressed with her focus during class, but I just attributed it to the treats I kept throwing at her!! Best of luck to you and your new baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online