Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why is she so scared?

@hnhammond thank you for your comments and I think you might be right. I did take Izzy to puppy training school and have watched all Caesar Milan's videos on how to be the pack leader but I think sometimes she will try to take on the role and maybe that's why she gets scared. I bet I am not providing her with the energy that I am there to protect her.... or she thinks she needs to protect me.

I recently had some changes to our household and I am now living by myself and I did notice that she is being more of a guard dog than ever to me. I thought it was cute but I guess I need to step it up and reinforce my role on this pack, even though now it is only the two of us.

Izzy is very well behaved, I can take her anywhere. She will not jump on the couch or bed and she obeys to almost all my commands. Our walks are something we can work on because sometimes she pull on the leash or doesnt pay attention to me and walks in zig zig...

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by hnhammond View Post
    We don't have this issue, so I don't know how helpful I'll be, but I've heard that nervousness (unless they've been abused) is a result of being unsure of where they stand in the "pack". In example, if they're unsure who the alpha is, they put all that pressure on themselves to keep the pack safe and happy - and most dogs just flat out don't have it in them to be an alpha.

My mom has four (non-bullie) dogs, none of which she trained in any way, and they are ALL extremely anxious and nervous, so I always believed this to be true. Matilda and I went through very strict obedience training and she very much respects me as the alpha. She is the most comfortable, non-anxious dog ever!

Have you done a lot of obedience training with Izzy? If not, I would look into it, especially exercises that establish you as the pack leader. Even if she isn't having behavioral problems, it seems to really factor into their comfort level if they understand you are the alpha and they can trust you to handle the pack on your own.

The only time Matilda had anxiety was when we first moved. She started tearing up the house and basically reverting to a puppy! Her vet put her on low-dose doggie xanax for about a month - just to calm her a bit until she adjusted to the house. It worked so well! She stopped all her anxious behavior immediately and when we stopped the xanax, it never came back. Maybe something to look into as well? If she's calm for a while she may forget that she ever thought the world was so scary!

Poor Izzy, I'm so sorry you guys are going through this! She and Matilda are the same age, I remember seeing all her baby pics on here.

My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

Hi there... My Si is exactly the same. We have had him since he was 10 weeks old and he is scared of some of the strangest things. If I take out the trash and get out a new trash bag he gets scared. If I pull out a baking pan from the cupboard he gets scared. He is not afraid to go bye bye and take baths... Just small things will scare him. I guess this is normal as I see a lot of other
    bulldogs have the same issue.
    Just love Izzy and reassure her that she will be ok... That's what we do with Si.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

@4flowers - definetly don't want the fear turning into aggression but I can see how that can happen. They don't know how to cope with the fear so they will attack. I will start taking treats with me again and training her as if she was a puppy... The good old days!
    @Vikinggirl - I also believe that is part of her personality to be scared.... but she is just getting worse. She used to love to ride elevators.... she would stick her nose on the door and storm in once the elevator door opened (rude!) but since this guy came out carrying this large piece of furniture and scared the crap out of her was enough to traumatize her! Since then (about a year ago) her attitude towards the elevator door is very different. She will stare at the door in an anxious way and once it opens she will jump back... take a second to look inside the elevator and then come inside! She cracks me up but I dont want her fear to overcome her joy of doing things.

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@Izzy's Mom Blue has similar issues. Garbage cans are the devil, strange noises have him running for his crate, boxes are evil, and the maintenance guys that work in my building? OMG, I think one of these days he just might bite one. When they come up to the apartment, I have to lock him in our bedroom. I think their uniforms send him into some strange panic mode.
    We've had him since he was about 8 weeks old, and like Izzy, he has never been abused. Spoiled yes, but abused? HA! I'd sooner abuse my husband.

So, I also think part of it is personality. Most bullies are scared of many things, so Izzys issue is not unique. Have your read Mer55 's thread? Bogey is now scared of ducks. Yes ducks! In fact, there are so many threads on bullies being frightened of so many things that when I read about one that's not, I'm impressed. So know you're not alone.

Training may help, and showing you're the pack leader definitely makes them feel more secure. But I think at the end of the day, it's just one of the many neurotic behaviors most bulldogs seem to have. Some are just worse than others.

Doggie Boutique Owner Izzy's Mom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Michelle
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Izzy
    Likes (Received)

@Blueberrys Mom - Thanks for the reply! I will check @mer55 thread on her bulldog and ducks! I just came back from lunch break and carried a few treats with em while taking Izzy to go potty. I made sure she focused on me the entire time, made her sit before the elevator door open, gave her a treat, made her sit inside and once the door opened i gave her a treat again. I guess I will just work with her and try to help with whatever I can. But just like everybody here.... Izzy is a scared bully! Happy one for the most part but also scared of many tings!

Just took a pic of her during lunch... going to share!

-img_20140515_115109-jpg-img_20140515_115047-jpg

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post

Such a SWEETY!!

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy's Mom View Post
    @Blueberrys Mom - Thanks for the reply! I will check @mer55 thread on her bulldog and ducks! I just came back from lunch break and carried a few treats with em while taking Izzy to go potty. I made sure she focused on me the entire time, made her sit before the elevator door open, gave her a treat, made her sit inside and once the door opened i gave her a treat again. I guess I will just work with her and try to help with whatever I can. But just like everybody here.... Izzy is a scared bully! Happy one for the most part but also scared of many tings!

Just took a pic of her during lunch... going to share!

She's such a cutie. Making her focus on you is definitely a good idea. We try to do that as well.

Oh, here's the thread with Bogey and the ducks..lol
    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...ighlight=ducks

Real Name
    Liz
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bocephus
    Likes (Received)

Bo is really scared too... Of lots of stuff. Especially plastic bags, garbage bags, moved furniture, new furniture, and vacuum.
    He always gets used to the new furniture but it involves a lot of crying and moaning and pawing at it. I hope she starts getting better. Poor baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ~Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about Bulldogs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads