Whats your Potty Schedule?

B

Baxter Tiberius

Decided to give up on the "Train Baxter to go on the Balcony grass patch through the doggy door I bought him" method. After 11 months it wasn't working. So we go out now. Suit up. Get the bags. Down 22 floors in the elevator. Out to the lobby. Down 2 flights of stairs. Out the front door. To the end of the block. Cross the street. AND FINALLY TO THE GRASS. :whew::whew::whew:

For those of you who take your pup out for walks to potty (versus letting them go out in the back yard randomly throughout the day)
Those of you who have a schedule with feeding and potty walks ... what is the schedule?

I am trying this:

8AM - FIRST THING IN THE MORNING: POTTY WALK
8:30 - EAT
9:30 - I HOUR AFTER EATING: POTTY WALK
4:30 - POTTY
6:00 - EAT
10:00 - BEFORE BED POTTY WALK

I would like to reduce the number of walks, but I keep hearing Dog Whisperer in my head saying you should always walk 30 minutes to 1 hour after feeding.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well Kevin I wish you luck. You will certainly be able to have a bowl of Ice cream at night with all of that exercise!! I hope this finally works for you.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Mine have a yard, but the schedule you have sounds about right. Only going out 4 times a day doesn't sound like alot. It's not Baxter's fault that you live "in the sky"! ha!ha! I don't think it would be good for him, mentally, or physically to go out any less.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am tired just reading it :babysleep:

Thinking, just my opinion, the 9:30 walk can get tossed... just a potty beak should be fine

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Oh, I thought they were all "potty walks" what's the difference-don't you have to walk to the "potty":whistle: area?

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We live on the 4th floor so it's just down the elevator and around the corner for us so like 1/10th of the distance i'm sure haha but for us it's...

7am - does her business (both)
7:30- eat (used to take her out about half hour later but she doesn't do anything so we stopped)
(goes in her crate while we go to work)
5pm - take her out (usually does both)
6pm - eat
8pm - just out to pee
10-11pm - out to pee before bed (sometimes she goes sometimes not)

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Potty walk - only named that because there's so much damn walking involved just to get to the potty area.

:)

Thanks [MENTION=9325]Samantha Orts[/MENTION] - sounds about right.

I guess I could have simplified my question:

How many times do you all take your pup out, and at what time?

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
So now I see the downfall to having that balcony view you have. I guess Ill stick to my 10' walk to the back yard. :sarcastic:

I have a yard so its a little different but here goes:
6:00 breakfast first then outside to do business (1&2)
work all day
5:00 dinner and then outside to do business (1&2)
9 ish back out to pee

How all you people get your dogs to go outside before eating is beyond me. Congrats! Mine stays in a 3' radius of his food bowl till he eats.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I walk all 3 dogs on the following schedule:

Somewhere between 8:30 - 9 AM: Walk 1
Somewhere between 12:30 - 2:00 PM: Walk 2
Somewhere between 6:30 - 7:00 PM: Walk 3
Somewhere after 9:30 PM: Walk 4

Essentially, I take them out every 4 hours although all three can hold it for up to 8 hours during the day and 12 hours through the night. The Bugg #2 on all walks, Curly usually goes #2 on two-three walks, the Frenchton goes #2 on one - two walks. If one goes out they all have to go out and they always #1 on all walks. I think Curls will lessen his #2 amount as he gets older, it's already seems to be starting.

For the most part our walks consist of walking around the block (about 15 mins with all three dogs, so much stopping and going and look it's the neighbor's dog) but if I'm in the mood my 7 PM walk becomes a long walk (1 hour+) and I nix the final walk of the day.

Some times I can get the dogs to sleep in but they are on such a schedule now that they know when it's around 12:30 and they start staring at me to go out.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Kevin when I was training my two guys, this is the schedule I used

Re: Potty training help?

Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.

It took us 5 months to fully potty train. The general rule is that they should be able to hold 1 hour for every month of age, so that by the time they are 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a pretty strict schedule for training our guys, until they were trained. Here is the schedule that worked for us.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The schedule we use now that they are older is:

6:00 am Go out for Potty, they usually do both

6:30 am Eat Breakfast

10:00 am Go for a walk, and potty breaks

2:00 pm Go out for potty breaks

6:00 pm Eat dinner

6:30 pm Go out for a walk, and potty breaks

10:00 or 11:00 pm out for last walk and potty breaks

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
How is Baxter doing on his potty routine? Any more accidents in the house?

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Most weekdays, Castor's routines look something like this.

Out 8:30 am
Eat 9 am
Out sometime between 1 and 2 pm
Out sometime between 5 and 7 pm
Eat around 6 pm
Out 11 pm

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.