Help Needed! Baffled behavior----

bduvallx3

May 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
12 week out little girl, Maggie, HATES her crate. Every single time she is in it, no matter for how long, she poops in it and then proceeds to have it from one end to the other on her and the crate. I have tried the getting up every two hours throughout the night and she does it every single time, plus the barking continues for almost the entire 2 hours between times. Once we are up for the day, she is cleaned up again and she doesn't have to go back into the crate, she is ready to snuggle and sleep. I was exhausted Saturday night after cleaning her up again so I let her out in the living room with me. She went to sleep for the next four hours and then wanted to sleep on me for another hour. The vet said not to give up on the crate because she has to use it and not have free roaming of the house until she is housetrained. I have to work and I have to sleep. What do I do??? Have you had this problem? What happened to the old saying "they won't go potty where they sleep"?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I have seen this problem before and it was caused by very young pups not being kept in a clean environment. As in the people who had mom and pups didn't keep the pees and poops cleamed up so they were in filth all the time. It wasn't bulldogs btw so I won't use the yerm breeder it was just an irresponsible owner.
Is the crate small enough that if she goes she can't get away from the mess?
You may try feeding her in her crate in hopes that she still jas the instinct not to mess where she eats .

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=11754]bduvallx3[/MENTION] I just reread your post. Problem 1 your crate is too big. Get a divider to make it smaller
If she can "drag it from one end to the other" she has too much room. She needs to be im an area where shr can sit and lay comfortably but that's it
Not walk around in her crate . Then she will realize hey if I go here, I'm stuck in it.
2 if she does go in her crate let her sit a minute or two..I'm not suggesting you leave her in it but lwt her understand if she goes she is stuck dealing with it. Then clean it up take her iut to potty . Do this without giving her any positive ot negative attention unless she potties outside then praise her wildly.
3 put her directly back in the crate .so clean it take herniut and then right back in . No feeling sorry for her pr being smushy to her. She needs to understand that if she goes in her crate that doesn't mean ahe can come out or get love and play time. Do not make this a pleasant experience. Mostly ignore her during this entire process again unless she potties outside then lot of positive attention and treats but still after directly back in the crate.
That should help the going potty in the crate to solve the whining issue

Yoy have to understand puppies aren't used to sleeping alone so some of yhis is normal
But what you can do is help her like her crate. Leave the door open during the time she is allowed out amd put a treat in her crate that she can get whenever she likes. Once she has started going in and out to get treats you can get something really high value that she can only have on the crate, a really fun toy or a yummy chew toy ( that's age appropriate) and put it in the crate. Let her go in and play with it. If she tries to take it out take ot away and put it back in the crate. Leave the door open so she can go back in and get it bit she can only have ot in the crate. The point here is to make the crate a positive thing. Do not use it as time out place yet. Just help her realize its a safe fun place for her. realize its

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
I have a 8 wk old pup and she does not mind her crate but would rather be out of crate. I have her on a schedule for now ( feeding and play and sleep). I keep her on it so I know when I should take her out and so she can get to love her crate. I received great advice from a member... When she is out her crate during the day throw a treat in there every once and awhile and she will walk in and find it (so she gets used to walking in her crate instead of me putting her in) it's working. Also at night she does cry cause she wants to be with me so I put a blanket over it. She cries for a little and then goes to sleep. I would put her on a schedule so you can almost manage when she pees and poops. She does not have accidents in her crate she will cry to let me know she has to go outside for potty. Hope some of this helps if not you can pm me on anything you need. Hope you accomplish what you need from your pup.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

OP
bduvallx3

bduvallx3

May 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
The crate is just big enough for her. We made sure we didn't get one to big for just that reason. The only time the crate is used is for night time and while we are at work. Otherwise, she avoids the crate like the plague even if she knows there are treats in it, she won't go in. If we put anything in with her when she has to be in the crate it is covered in it and disgusting. I have tried the whole ignore her thing. She knows it's wrong b/c after she is cleaned up she goes to her blanket in the living room and sits there looking at me with the "I'm sorry" eyes or it could be that she is giving me the eyes b/c I wouldn't pick her up and love on her b/c I was busy cleaning up the mess. Not sure which yet. She is good at the cold shoulder bit already when she knows she was wrong or she doesn't get what she wants.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I don't know how to stop the poo problem but if you wear an old t shirt for a few hours and before bed put it in with her it usually keeps the puppy calm as the scent of the mummy usually settles them ???
Worth a go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I had this exact same problem with Bocephus when he was younger. He even got to a point where I was afraid he'd hurt himself trying to get out of the crate when I was at work. I eventually ended up getting him a playpen that extended his area of confinement. Now he loves his crate and goes in it to relax. I did set it up so that the panels attache to either side of his crate and I leave the side door for the crate open and he can walk in and out and still have his "area" within the pen. 0203141927a.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.