So another crate training question...

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
After we have him sleeping in his crate and in it when we aren't home, when do I take out the divider to give him more space?
His original humans bought an ENORMOUS crate. We won't ever have to purchase another unless he destroys it. He only has a third of it now with the divider in it.
Do I just move it as he grows or is it okay to take it out since he's in it at night all the time now and has been for awhile?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
When you see he can't easily move around anymore. Is he having accidents in his crate? If he isn't or hasn't for a while you could probably remove it and see what happens. If he cries or messes you could just put it back in.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
You need to make sure he has enough space to stand up, turn around, and change positions. When he can't do that push the divider back. Now as far as removing it? That depends. Does he have any accidents? Sometimes if you remove it too soon, they will do their business in the back of the crate, and sleep in the front, or vise versa. Especially if it's a HUGE crate! Try it and see. I didn't remove Meatballs until around 12 months.

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
He's had no accidents in his crate! Thankfully! Lol, I'd have to literally take the tray to the yard and hose it, UGH
i think I'll just slowly move it a bit at a time until it can be removed. TY!

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I agree with what was said above. That is the way I trained and it worked really well. How old is Gunner?

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Bug net is 12 weeks and doing amazing with potty and crate training. I'm just so surprised! He's bell trained to go outside. If you don't get up Cady enough he will bark at the door.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.