Help Needed! What are the best treats for Bulldogs when training them????

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
So I just got my 8wk old baby girl Mia (Mia Amor) english bulldog. I want her to learn early on training (basics for now) and I was wondering is there any treats to stay away from? Is there any that bullies love? Also would love some advice on techniques that worked for you in help train your fur babies. Thank you in advance for any advice given. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 164

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3:Hi Yvette, and welcome to you and Mia to EBN, so glad that you joined us. Looking forward to seeing more of you on here, and lots of pictures of your new baby Mia. You have a young one, the best advice I can give you is to find a good quality dog food and to use a puppy formula until she is about 6 or 7 months old. Puppy food provides the best nutrition for the rapid growth and development needed for a puppy. You can go on the Dog Food Ratings Forum on the Home page and read all the ratings. You want to choose a food that is a 4 Star or higher rating. We feed our huys Fromms Beef Frittata. You can switch to an adult formula when she is 6 or 7 months old. It is best to feed her 1 cup of kibble 3 times a day as a puppy, and then reduce her feelings to 1 cup twice a day feelings when she switches to adult food. She is a little young for treats, but when you are training her to go potty, or wanting to teach her things, I find the best treat is a piece of her own kibble. When she is a little older maybe around 12 weeks, you can give her an occasional treat, we stay away from the store bought treats with lots of additives, or preservative, and you want to stay away from the chicken jerky treats and other treats from China, and milkbones, they have had a lot of recalls on these products, and they have caused many illnesses and deaths due to kidney failure in dogs. We give our guys Wellness soft chews, and the Wellness yogurt and fruit cookies, Fruitables, , and their own kibble. We also give our guys supplements such as we add 1 Tbsp. of plain yogurt to their morning kibble, for the probiotics, which aids in digestion, and boosts the immune system, it is also a very good source of vitamin D, which protects the heart, we also add 1 Tbsp. of salmon oil to the evening kibble, for the Omega oils, which is good for the skin, fur, and brain, and we add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday. There are a lot of benefits to ACV, such as its a natural anti inflammatory, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so boosts the immune system, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood. Your bully can also have what we call toppers, or extras occasionally. We give our guys 1/2 a banana each once or twice a week, you don't want to give too much because its high in sugar, we give them cut up apples, watermelon, blueberries, cooked carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, peanut butter, and the occasional hard boiled egg cut up. Our guys also like frozen yogurt as a treat once in a while. You can also home bake many natural treats with simple ingredients like peanut butter and rolled oats, cinnamon, and other natural ingredients. There are many good recipes in the recipes forum for healthy and natural treats, and when you make them yourself, you know what's in them without all the added ingredients and preservatives found in store bought treats that are toxic and dangerous.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Your baby is a little doll!! We've used frozen green beans broken up into pieces for training and they worked real well.

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
Thank you so much
Vikinggirl it was so helpful and such good information. I am going to try and make my own once she is old enough. So I have to wait till she is 12 wks till I give her any real food? Was a little unsure of that. Thank you again keeping a book and everything is getting written down in there. Thank you for the help in raising my baby girl. :)

Thanks again pdolphin27 for the advice. Do you buy a bag of frozen green beans? What age can I start to give them to her? I cant wait to give her actual real fruit and veggies. From what I read seems like everything in the stores are so bad for them. Thank you again for all the help in raising my baby girl. :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Not necessarily 12 weeks, 10 weeks is okay too, but I recommend that you start one new treat or supplement, or added fruits or veggies one at a time, so that if she has an allergy or reaction to a new food, you will know right away which one caused it. It's easier to do it this way, rather than try to eliminate which foods she doesn't tolerate.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a cutie!! When we were training Banks, since she was BEYOND stubborn and dominate, we used dried beef liver as it was a HIGH value to her. But the other items suggested are great too

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
AKC STAR PUPPY! It is the foundation for Canine Good Citizen classes.
[h=3]Welcome to the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program![/h]
At the American Kennel Club[SUP]®[/SUP], we’re not just champion dogs. We’re the dogs’ champion—all dogs. We believe that all dogs deserve training and a responsible owner and our goal is to reward responsible dog ownership.
The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy is an exciting new program designed to get dog owners and their puppies off to a good start. The AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program is an incentive program for loving dog owners who have taken the time to take their puppies through a basic training class.
The Benefits of Training

Training classes teach you how to best communicate with your puppy. Organized training classes also provide an opportunity for your dog to socialize with other dogs. In classes aimed at earning the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy distinction, you’ll be able to get information on all of your puppy-raising questions including housetraining, chewing, and the most effective way to teach practical skills such as coming when called. AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy training is a natural lead in to the AKC[SUP]®[/SUP] Canine Good Citizen® Program.
puppy.jpg
How It Works
When you complete a basic training class (taught by an AKC Approved CGC Evaluator) with your puppy (up to 1 year old) your puppy is eligible to be enrolled in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program.
You'll attend any puppy or basic training class at least 6 weeks. Your instructor will administer the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy test at the end of the course. Upon passing the test, you'll get an application to send to AKC[SUP]®[/SUP] for enrollment in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program. All dogs are welcome to participate in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program including purebreds and mixed breeds.

Your puppy will receive the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Medal (for display or memento purposes; not suitable as a collar tag). You and your puppy will be listed in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records. In addition, so that you can continue learning, you’ll receive our AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy package that includes:

• A beautiful, frameable certificate designating your puppy is in the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy records at AKC
  • AKC Puppy Handbook, a valuable resource
  • Discount to enroll in AKC Reunite, a 24-hour recovery service
  • Ongoing Monthly Email Newsletter: Your AKC. This includes training tips and up-to-date information every dog owner needs to know. We want you and your puppy to continue learning beyond puppy classes

http://www.akc.org/starpuppy/about_the_program.cfm
Any treats you give should count towards her daily ration.

Mix the treats up to avoid boredom. (Liver treats are good, small pieces of cheese, kibble can be good.)

I often get kibble samples and use that for training treats.

Make training fun. Clicker training is absolutely awesome.

Always quit on a success. (Don't take it personally if pup is having an off day. Like us they sometimes just are not in ood toork.)
Take her through a puppy kindergarten class.

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
Also grain free dog foods. (No corn, wheat or rye)

DON'T BUY THE CHEAP DOG FOOD.

Grain in dog food results in allergies, and ear infections.

I look for the very high end kibbles and buy them when they are near expiration.

The other thing I like to do is feed her rations in Kongs. she has to work for her food and It mentally stimulates her.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.