Help Needed! 11 Month Old started Aggressive Chewing Everything!

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Just a week or so ago, Shakespeare started chewing up furniture. When he was little(r), he'd take an occasional nibble at the bottom corner of an Ottoman or chair. Now he is literally destroying everything! He has completely torn up his doghouse that he otherwise ignored and now started in on my furniture. I am home with him during the day and try and redirect him and play with him but he seems to be on a mission to destroy! The bitter spray seemed to work for him when he was little but now I practically soaked his dog house and he went right back to it with the spray dripping off of it. I give him bones and he'll chew for a few minutes before he's right back to the furniture. He likes a Kong frozen with yogurt and a few veggies on occasion but he'll abandon that after 10 minutes or so.
Any great ideas for prevention, distractions, chew toys, ANYTHING?? 20140429_080610.jpg20140429_081607.jpg20140429_080413.jpg

Note: Even though he has wood pieces stuck all over his face, he isn't interested in actually ingesting anything that he's chewing up.

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Hi ya. Is there any chance he is board ? How much exercise is he getting ? Is you baby stressed ?

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
He has constant energy-- we take him for extended walks and outings and give him plenty of room to run. I would say that he gets heavy amounts of exercise daily. He is on a raw diet and is on the more slender side. Even when we are in the middle of playing with him, he will all of a sudden decide to go and chew on something. I'm sure that he starts chewing occasionally out of boredom but he does have people and toys and things around for other options. He just seems to have a one track mind when he gets set on destruction and will immediately go right back to it. We've even taken him out of the house for a good 30 minute walk and he will immediately go right back to the chair he was chewing on before we left.

As for stressed, no new changes or anything that I can think of that would be bothering him. He is not aggressive or trying to bite people, and seems otherwise content and happy... ???

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Oh boy do I know what you are going through..my 3 yr old boy Romeo ate everything walls, woodwork, windowsills, furniture..the spray didn't work for us either and eventually he outgrew it but it seemed like he would chew something whenever we were doing something and not paying attention to him..I did start giving him a kong with frozen peanut butter or a bully braid or an antler when I was trying to work on the computer or shower and dress just to keep him occupied..good luck!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse was the same he absolutely destroyed my chairs from my dinning suite, the rug and walls in the dining room also the foot bars on our bar . I had the sprays would put towels over the bars of the chairs no matter what I did he just chewed and chewed I had never had a pet that ruined stuff like Ftse did.
he is two and half now and he is the perfect little :angelgirl: doesn't chew anything.

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Has anyone tried cayenne pepper and water to spray on furniture? It was recommended online. I'm thinking of trying it on my new outdoor furniture that he already started gnawing on.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
No I've never tried that but we were at the vet on Monday and they suggested we put red pepper seed on areas of our front yard so they don't keep peeing in the same spots..we are getting some large brown areas in our grass because they always go to the same spots..sounds like the same thing..try it..maybe it will work

msericathatcher

Apr 18, 2014
Norfolk, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley
Sour apple, red pepper,cayenne pepper - our my suggestions to stop chewing on items

i would also go grab him a bully stick, deer antler, raw hide, elk bone antler - also try ice.

Maybe be take away all his toys and leave him with one or two and if he goes to chew on anything place him in time out.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sour apple, red pepper,cayenne pepper - our my suggestions to stop chewing on items

i would also go grab him a bully stick, deer antler, raw hide, elk bone antler - also try ice.

Maybe be take away all his toys and leave him with one or two and if he goes to chew on anything place him in time out.

all good suggestions except for the bully stick and raw hide.... they are chocking hazzards for most dogs, but especially for the 'smoochy face' breeds due to the small trachea... the raw hide can cause intestinal damage.

What worked for us with Banks when she is that focused on something was .... water sprayed in her face with a firm NO... took many times to get her to lose focused, but it eventually did work . Note... we are lucky it was never chewing furniture, but when she set her sights on something -- it was hard to stop her (still is at age of 9, but the water spray still gets her attention)

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I also use a spray bottle..usually when they are wrestling and being rough..in fact I only have to say the word spray bottle now and they listen lol Fatso who has never chewed anything has chewed several of them up

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
We've been using the spray bottle as a deterrent from jumping up on the furniture and that has helped some. I haven't done it for the chewing so I'll try that in addition to spraying a little cayenne pepper & water on the furniture legs.
Thanks everyone! :)

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Lol! Don't mean to laugh but Meatball is still tearing my house up!! He has tons of energy and yes he gets plenty of excercise! I have tried everything but he has torn up 3 crates and counting, tons of shoes, basically all my kids toys, pillows, blankets, the kids pacifiers, hangers, laundry hampers, really I don't have enough hours left today to list everything he destroyed so far LOL!

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Lol! Don't mean to laugh but Meatball is still tearing my house up!! He has tons of energy and yes he gets plenty of excercise! I have tried everything but he has torn up 3 crates and counting, tons of shoes, basically all my kids toys, pillows, blankets, the kids pacifiers, hangers, laundry hampers, really I don't have enough hours left today to list everything he destroyed so far LOL!
Oh, no! Don't tell me that! I'm hoping this is a quick phase! :)

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Habanero sauce worked wonders for us. Curly chewed on the molding in our place one time. First we made him smell the sauce and then forced him to taste it by putting a small drop on his nose. We rubbed habanero sauce on every corner in the house and he never chewed any part of the walls or furniture afterwards.

When we take the bottle out he runs away.

We tried cayenne pepper and pepper seeds with my other dogs when they were younger and it didn't work - I think the spice wasn't strong enough to deter them so with Curly we went straight to the strong stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
My younger boy is a chewer and every time I can't keep an eye on him he's been spending in his room, with bones and chew toys. He still has managed to chew up on some moldins and stairs. It's slowly getting better with age, he's almost 18 months now.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.