Good grief - I need advice

Enjnene

Sep 25, 2013
Ar
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
My boy was really easy to house train :) yeah Sebastian ! But he does have accidents from time time .... Hope ur pup gets it soon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
My boy was really easy to house train :) yeah Sebastian ! But he does have accidents from time time .... Hope ur pup gets it soon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, Enjnene!

Lily doens't have accidents. If we aren't watching her, she just "drops trou" and goes wherever she wants to go. I was sooooo bragging on her the other day because she went to the back door and I saw her. I almost jumped up I was so excited. I took her out and she peed. I praised her to the moon and back, treated her, etc. She came back in, and 10 minutes later, peed in the floor - RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
I wish I had THE answer for you but we had lifelong problems with our girls! Charley would bust before going in the house (unless stress excited, then he pees, but that has happened maybe 4 times in 5 years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
Lily does pee from time to time, just dribbles a little, when she gets excited, but she hasn't done that in a while. We take her out so many times a day, so hopefully that is helping.

She hasn't an accident in a few days, so that's good.

I talked to the breeder we got her from yesterday, and she's having the same trouble with Lily's litter mate. He's not housebroken yet, either.

I told her it's weird -- it's like, she knows when she goes outside that she's supposed to do her business, but it's also like she doesn't know it's not OK to go inside. Does that make sense?

She knows what's right, but she also doesn't know what's wrong.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I never experienced any problems, I guess I was lucky:) Right from the start when we got them as puppies I'd take them out every 2 hours in the night (and increase the time by an hour every week if I thought it world work), I'd take them out straight after food, napping, playtime... when indoors I always checked them and if they showed any sign of wanting to pee or poop I'd carry them outside to their spot. We didn't use any sort of pads or paper on the floor. They got it very quickly, I think by a month time they were housebroken. I had the privilege to live in a house with fenced in garden which helped a lot as the door could always be opened for them. If they had an accident inside I didn't say a word, I just still carried them outside to their spot so that they would maybe connect the dots:) And praise them when they did their business outside.

It is a mission with puppies of any kind, my husband has a habit of finding unwanted puppies... and what can I say when he asks me if I will save it? This method has worked for me on everything from Chihuahuas to Great Danes:)

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
I've heard so many different things, Petra. Some say use the pads, some say don't use the pads. I guess you just have to do what's best for the puppy and hope for the best. :lol: I love that little face, though, so it's hard to get upset at her.

She has this whole toybox full of toys, right? We pick her up a new toy, almost every time we go out. She'll grab all her toys, sometimes two in her mouth at a time, and bring them up on the sofa between Hubs and me. She'll get all excited playing with her toys, and run back and forth between him and me. Then she will like grab my hand (or his hand) with her mouth. She won't bite it, but it could be if she clamped down. I look at her and point my finger and say 'No biting!' and that gets her even more excited. It's cute, and I laugh at her which is counterproductive because I am laughing, so she doesn't take me seriously. I have to get on top of it LOL.

It's like when kids curse. It's funny and you shouldn't laugh (but you do LOL).

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I've heard so many different things, Petra. Some say use the pads, some say don't use the pads. I guess you just have to do what's best for the puppy and hope for the best. :lol: I love that little face, though, so it's hard to get upset at her.

She has this whole toybox full of toys, right? We pick her up a new toy, almost every time we go out. She'll grab all her toys, sometimes two in her mouth at a time, and bring them up on the sofa between Hubs and me. She'll get all excited playing with her toys, and run back and forth between him and me. Then she will like grab my hand (or his hand) with her mouth. She won't bite it, but it could be if she clamped down. I look at her and point my finger and say 'No biting!' and that gets her even more excited. It's cute, and I laugh at her which is counterproductive because I am laughing, so she doesn't take me seriously. I have to get on top of it LOL.

It's like when kids curse. It's funny and you shouldn't laugh (but you do LOL).

Adorable:luv: it is impossible to be mad at them, they are just to awesome and somehow everything they do is cute... even when they fart it's funny:tongue:

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
Ew, I don't know if I agree with it being funny LOL. I just love it when she does it on my husband. I told him, "payback!!"

bduvallx3

May 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rosie
My girl is 12 weeks old and is doing okay with the housetraining. Getting better at knowing when she has to go, but won't tell us in anyway other than sniffing around and pacing at times. What I need help with is crate training her. She keeps pooping in her crate!! Every single time she is in it. Vet said she would stop but it's going on week two and she is still doing it. Any suggestions??? She is in it for the night and while we are at work. Doesn't matter if it's several hours or one hour nor does it matter if she has already gone outside. Help??!!

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
All I know is Lola was almost a year old before she "got it."

Other bulldog owners I have met had similar experiences.

She is now the dog with the iron bladder and I never need to worry about accidents in the house.

Keep working with her. Hang a bell on the door and encourage her to ring it before she goes out.

You could also try click training her for going bathroom on command.

Lets go to the door
pup goes to the door sits
"Click"
treat
take her out
Cue her
"find a spot"

Pup starts to go.

"click"

treat and verbally praise her

OP
GAbeachBum

GAbeachBum

Nov 9, 2012
Coastal Georgia
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily and Elvis
All I know is Lola was almost a year old before she "got it."

Other bulldog owners I have met had similar experiences.

She is now the dog with the iron bladder and I never need to worry about accidents in the house.

Keep working with her. Hang a bell on the door and encourage her to ring it before she goes out.

You could also try click training her for going bathroom on command.

Lets go to the door
pup goes to the door sits
"Click"
treat
take her out
Cue her
"find a spot"

Pup starts to go.

"click"

treat and verbally praise her

thanks Peter!

Most Reactions