GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Gunner is such a monster when he plays! Lol
i know he's only playing, but he is WAY too rough. He will bite snap and nip the whole time, no matter what the redirection is. And no matter the scolding he receives, he comes back for more! It's crazy! He breaks the skin a lot! I've outlawed all Tug O War, this really fires him up.
What else should I be doing? I feel like a terrible Bully Mom with him doing this so much, as I can't seem to figure out how to correct it!
He just turned 9 weeks old.
HELP!!! :w00t:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
There is a lot of puppy articles full of help, advice & expert information
under Forums. So much so, you'll be reading many a night, lol

Yes, you want to stop nipping NOW as it's not something you want a big
bully doing!

Keep us informed and please share some pics of your unruly hooligan :)

Welcome to EBN~GOD bless y'all <3

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Hold onto your seat- you're in for a WILD ride! This is very typical of bully behavior, but that does not mean you should tolerate it. You can try to find something to redirect with bad behavior( shake can, yelping, water bottle) but for the most part, you will have to be firm and gentle when he gets out of control. Whatever is causing the psycho mode, stops. If it is rough playing, or a toy that's causing the frenzy, game is over until he calms down. It might even warrant a trip to the crate for some " time out". Bogey was the WORST as a small pup. I did not wear shorts or short sleeved shirts until he was 9 months old( and I live in Florida!) because of all my teeth marks! I have a TON of posts on here as I went thru it all, and I really thought we had the spawn of satan! But, as he grew, those sessions got less frequent. However, he is 18 months old now, the sweetest, gentlest thing on earth, but sometimes that psycho dog emerges, such as last night. I gave him an empty milk container outside in our cul-de-sac- he was in a FRENZY pushing it, biting it, running and having a great time. I went to grab it to toss it and he went NUTS- jumped up to get it and caught my hand- no blood, but it hurt. I tried calming him and talking gently, but he was OBSESSED with getting it. GAME OVER. The bottle went in the trash and he just sat there, panting, looking very sad. These fur balls are quite challenging!! Good luck! Patience, persistence and gentle firmness will win out!

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
My Reggie is the same at 11 weeks. If he is playing, no matter what toys I direct him with, if he catches sight of flesh he pounds in. I am hoping it isn't meant nasty and that he will grow out of it. I have another 2 1/2 week till he can go out so I am hoping that he calms a little when he isn't just stuck in the house :0s

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hold onto your seat- you're in for a WILD ride! This is very typical of bully behavior, but that does not mean you should tolerate it. You can try to find something to redirect with bad behavior( shake can, yelping, water bottle) but for the most part, you will have to be firm and gentle when he gets out of control. Whatever is causing the psycho mode, stops. If it is rough playing, or a toy that's causing the frenzy, game is over until he calms down. It might even warrant a trip to the crate for some " time out". Bogey was the WORST as a small pup. I did not wear shorts or short sleeved shirts until he was 9 months old( and I live in Florida!) because of all my teeth marks! I have a TON of posts on here as I went thru it all, and I really thought we had the spawn of satan! But, as he grew, those sessions got less frequent. However, he is 18 months old now, the sweetest, gentlest thing on earth, but sometimes that psycho dog emerges, such as last night. I gave him an empty milk container outside in our cul-de-sac- he was in a FRENZY pushing it, biting it, running and having a great time. I went to grab it to toss it and he went NUTS- jumped up to get it and caught my hand- no blood, but it hurt. I tried calming him and talking gently, but he was OBSESSED with getting it. GAME OVER. The bottle went in the trash and he just sat there, panting, looking very sad. These fur balls are quite challenging!! Good luck! Patience, persistence and gentle firmness will win out!

Ha!ha! This is exactly what I was going to write!!! It will calm down after they get their adult teeth -but those plastic bottles give them the crazies!! You spend a fortune on toys-and they love the big empty plastic bottles the best!!! It's amazing how high they can jump when you take them away!!!:w00t:

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner

I give Gunner empty 2 liter bottles. He LOVES them. He has a ton of toys, but only a few out at a time. Little turd is such a frootloop at night! Were working on some crate training today. Yesterday I had to buy new dishes!! He kept flipping and or standing in his water bowl, ugh! Lol I rent and we unfortunately have an older house with that gross kitchen carpet. Soaked carpet, yuk!
Im just short of trying a dang air horn LOL
He's getting molars right now, you can see them popping thru. I leave his hard toys out and pick the rest up.
It's like having a newborn all over again, only my kids didn't drool and poop nearly this much!

This is my hooligan sleeping in the breeze by the door.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 159

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Gunner is such a monster when he plays! Lol
i know he's only playing, but he is WAY too rough. He will bite snap and nip the whole time, no matter what the redirection is. And no matter the scolding he receives, he comes back for more! It's crazy! He breaks the skin a lot! I've outlawed all Tug O War, this really fires him up.
What else should I be doing? I feel like a terrible Bully Mom with him doing this so much, as I can't seem to figure out how to correct it!
He just turned 9 weeks old.
HELP!!! :w00t:

:goodpost:

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Tucker is a year old and my guys of the house LOVE to rough him up, then when he comes to me and wants to bite I get to TRY and redirect and calm him down. He is understanding I don't allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Mary has you covered!! It will get better. Sometimes it seems like you won't make it through though, and that's when you come on here and we ALL tell you we have survived, we share a story, or two, or three, and that makes you smile and helps you get through the next crazy day. That's one of the many, many things I love about this site.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball was horrible as a pup! He's still like that with my husband, except he doesn't bit down to break skin or even put pressure but he still plays with his mouth. NEVER with me, kids, cat, just my husband! I think Meatball thinks he's a big nylabone lol

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton

Mary can I please have your phone number?!?! I'm kidding. :) I read your post and am sitting at work cracking up! I have a 13 week old who I tell everyone he is evil and he hates me! That's not even close to true but right now ALL he wants to do is bite and bite hard! He's not doing it maliciously but he doesn't know when it's too hard. We just started our first (of 6) Puppy Kindergarten classes on Sunday and I am hoping that helps however at home he is a terror and gets multiple 5-15 minute time outs a lot. They seem to be helping as he calms himself down immediately (and he loves his crate). I love him to pieces and have already started talking about eventually getting another one because one is just not enough however right now there are some days, okay most days, where I don't know if I am going to survive this puppy stage!! He also is OBSESSED with plastic water bottles. The countless dollars of the high value toys our trainer told us we had to buy, and we did, and my dog goes bananas for his water bottle- every time!

Thanks for your post. It made me laugh. I can't wait to get home to my little guy tonight even though I can guarantee there will be at least one or two time outs tonight!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
As others have stated even though you should do all the recommendations, such as redirect to a proper chew object, a loud ouch when the dog nips on you and a firm no, even so this behavior will lessen as the dog matures. Almost to a person we have all gone through this and it does get much better

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Mary can I please have your phone number?!?! I'm kidding. :) I read your post and am sitting at work cracking up! I have a 13 week old who I tell everyone he is evil and he hates me! That's not even close to true but right now ALL he wants to do is bite and bite hard! He's not doing it maliciously but he doesn't know when it's too hard. We just started our first (of 6) Puppy Kindergarten classes on Sunday and I am hoping that helps however at home he is a terror and gets multiple 5-15 minute time outs a lot. They seem to be helping as he calms himself down immediately (and he loves his crate). I love him to pieces and have already started talking about eventually getting another one because one is just not enough however right now there are some days, okay most days, where I don't know if I am going to survive this puppy stage!! He also is OBSESSED with plastic water bottles. The countless dollars of the high value toys our trainer told us we had to buy, and we did, and my dog goes bananas for his water bottle- every time!

Thanks for your post. It made me laugh. I can't wait to get home to my little guy tonight even though I can guarantee there will be at least one or two time outs tonight!

you are soooo welcome! Sadly, it's all true though! Bully's are very " mouthy"- it will just take ALOT of patience. The only thing that worked for me was crate time. Bogey also loved his crate, but he loved being out with us more. So, when he was " jailed", he usually just sat there moping, and usually took a nap, which I found was exactly what generally caused his frenzy- just like a baby, he was tired and ornery. Napping brought out a different pup- especially in that 12-24 month age. Everyone here got me through those tough stages. Post away- we'll all be here for support!! Good luck!! And I LOVE Gen. Pattons name!!!! He is gorgeous!!

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Thank you! And yes, even though I am new here, the support already has honestly been so helpful and welcoming!

Peter Lynn Westre

May 9, 2014
How old is he?

Lola went trough this for almost 2 years. Biting my feet was her way of saying "i'm hungry I need to play or I need to pee. " All of them represent a basic need.

Have you tried to channel the energy to training activities?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.