Help Needed! Pooping & Peeing in crate

Bruiser11214

Apr 21, 2014
Portland, Maine
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruiser
I have a 3 month old and I realize I've only had him two days, but I wanted to make sure I am doing everything I can. He sleeps through the night with no crying or barking, but he pooped and peed the first night in the crate and second night, pooped (maybe peed)...but for sure pooped. I stop all water 5hrs before he goes to bed and food. I take him out to potty right before he goes into his crate. He pees right before bedtime outside, but doesn't poop. He goes into his crate @ 10:30/11PM and poops last couple of nights at 8:30PM for last time of night. Should I be making him poop outside when I take him out last time of the night at 10;30/11PM? Sometimes I am outside with him for at least 15-20 mins and he still hasn't pooped when it's right before he goes into his crate for the night. He's approx 15-18 lbs and I've been feeding him 1/3/4 cups am and pm. He eats at 5:00PM. He pooped throughout the day every 2-3 hours, so I didn't think it was important that he pooped AGAIN right before he goes into his crate, but maybe....yes? Do you think I am feeding him too much? I also, will be switching him over to a grain free good food, hopefully that helps, too. He's a great puppy and is going outside potty, it's just the crate pooping at night, that sucks right now and makes mornings, a bit stressful. Oh, btw...his crate isn't too big..just enough room for him to stand up and turn around. Please Help, any advice and support would be great. I am stressing right now and have NO SLEEP---I feel like I am doing something wrong???
:(

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Whenever I have had pups-I have always gotten up about twice during the night to take them out. Is his poop firm, or too soft? That could be a clue......
I never stopped the water. I think he is too young to expect him to last all night.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I also used to get up throughout the night to give potty breaks. I did every 3-4 hours to start. Eventually increased it to every 5,6,7 etc. until I trained him to hold it all night. It's like having a newborn. Eventually you get a full night sleep Lol

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Welcome to the site Bruiser

I am raising two EBD pups and you absolutely need two get them out at least once in the middle of the night.

My guys go into there crates around 10:00 pm, I then get up at 1:00 am to let them out and again at 4:30 am. I do remove there water bowl around 8:30/9:00 pm.

Bella is five and half months and Dozer is three and half months old.

HTH

OP
B

Bruiser11214

Apr 21, 2014
Portland, Maine
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruiser
Bruiser update: He is no longer pooping in crate (he's almost 4 months) and I removed the blanket in crate, so now he has nothing and he stopped peeing in there, too. He goes into his crate at 11:00 at night and I get up at 6:30 am. He does great and is on a great routine, too. I stop all water early, too..so that helps a lot and if he really needs water later then usually, I give it to him in small doses and that is when he usually pees a bit in crate, but not a lot. I'd say, he is doing great for not even 4 months old! Very easy Bulldog to potty train, caught on extremely quickly with structured routine and keeping him in a pen when I can't watch him, which he loves and has toys in there with a bed...that he LOVES :)

4WHLN

"Hit me baby one more time!"
Dec 4, 2011
Baton Rouge, La
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Dooley Bulldogs
I did 10:30 at night, before bed. Then again at 2am and finally around 5 am when I woke up. This worked great for me. I also didnt pick up the water either, but he really did not drink much in the evenings. But if he did I would make sure he went outside and extra time before bed.

Members online

No members online now.