Real Name
    Brooke
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

Default Stubbornness!

Bear is awful! Lol I knew bulldogs were stubborn, but I had no idea it could be this bad. He will literally stare at me when I call him and won't move. It's hard because we recently rescued a senior mastiff who does the same thing. I don't know if it's a dominance thing or if they really are just stubborn. Is this a phase? Is it a forever thing? He was doing really good with coming when called but he won't budge now. I have to nudge him in the butt or pick him up to get him to move! Any tips?

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nuts Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Jennifer
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean ; Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Stubbornness!

Treats....and hand feeding them shows your Alpha status it tells them you control everything including when and how much they eat.

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

R.I.P. Duece Man 9-13-14 Gone but not forgotten, always in our hearts! Till we meet again over the Bridge, Mommy misses you.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree with Jennifer, treats are a magical tool! He'll understand eventually.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ava and Spencer
    Likes (Received)

Have u had his hearing tested . If so I totally agree treats will get his attention.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I agree w/ @Jennifer Clark … treats are the way to go… LOL

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

yep... food will motivate the little stinker
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    April
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jovi
    Likes (Received)

jovi does this too. i really should try the treat thing aswell

Real Name
    Brooke
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

He was doing great, I hate regressions! I guess it's back to square one with training

And, I don't thin it's his hearing. He hears me pour dog food into his bowl with no problems lol he knows to wait in his crate patiently

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Arrya
    Likes (Received)

My mastiff , Rufus, wanted to come when called but it took a lot of energy for the big guy to get up and moving. Especially as he aged, it was easier and more for comfortable for him to stay put! My bully will do anything for a treat!!!

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

"Have u had his hearing tested" . If so I totally agree treats will get his attention. English Bulldogs are "selectively deaf" but can hear a treat box being open from the opposite side of a football field!!! Treats work pretty well, unless there is something more interesting elsewhere!!! Have you ever heard that Bulldogs Rule?
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

My Bulldog puppy is the same. I also have a Bullmastiff that is stubborn as hell. You open the back door and he drops to the floor like a sack of potatoes and plays dead to avoid being put outside. The front door is another matter as it means walkies....

He also does this in the car, when we are going somewhere nice he jumps out of the car like something silly. When we get home he refuses to budge. It is a good job my partner weight lifts as we end up having to carry him in and he is 133lbs....

The treat thing is interesting as he has stopped doing things for his normal treats. It has to be extra special like cheese, meats from the deli counter.....

Having said that, I do love his silly ways and he usually has me in stitches. I had him at the vets as he had banged his leg. The vet said not to walk him and rest it after he had given him anti inflammatory injection, because we tried to put him straight in the car and he associates the car with the beach/lakes he was playing dead in the street and everyone was looking. I just think he is way too clever and has me sussed out 👌
    Using Tapatalk

Real Name
    Brooke
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bear
    Likes (Received)

He is comical, the sounds he makes and the way he moves, that's for sure! I just get so frustrated when he ignores me! He's been hurting my mastiff, Finley too. He likes to play really rough and always makes the poor guy cry. I'm afraid it will turn into a violent thing since they are both intact males.

The mastiff, Finley, has been re homed twice in the past year, so I understand that he's having a hard time. He has no manners, he pushes his way out the door, literally walks right over my son, he broke the dining room table because I ran the vacuum, lol, I think I'm just overwhelmed so the smallest things get me upset now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads