brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
My Bulldog puppy is the same. I also have a Bullmastiff that is stubborn as hell. You open the back door and he drops to the floor like a sack of potatoes and plays dead to avoid being put outside. The front door is another matter as it means walkies....

He also does this in the car, when we are going somewhere nice he jumps out of the car like something silly. When we get home he refuses to budge. It is a good job my partner weight lifts as we end up having to carry him in and he is 133lbs....

The treat thing is interesting as he has stopped doing things for his normal treats. It has to be extra special like cheese, meats from the deli counter.....

Having said that, I do love his silly ways and he usually has me in stitches. I had him at the vets as he had banged his leg. The vet said not to walk him and rest it after he had given him anti inflammatory injection, because we tried to put him straight in the car and he associates the car with the beach/lakes he was playing dead in the street and everyone was looking. I just think he is way too clever and has me sussed out 
Mine also need high value treats for certain things. When the are outside and wont come in, I am yelling "Who wants chicken cutlet"?? SMH

Ray Harper

May 11, 2014
I have been looking for a solution to my bulldogs stubbornness. Indoors its not a problem but outside when hes off leash 90% of the time i can control him...Its that 10% part that he totally ignores my commands and does what he wants to do even running off to play /meet with another dog.. Treats in this situation dosent work. Does anyone have any ideas how to get his attention back onto me? I will say this a mechanical whistle he either come or he wont. A person whistles through his teeth and no matter who is doing it he will goto that person...MY problem i cant whistle to save my life.....

hmm thinking about it is there different types of whistles that give different pitch and sound i might have to try and see if i can find one that he will listen too

Last edited:

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
Mine is 14 weeks and is that stubborn he is refusing to do things in the house even for treats 😂

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
Bribe them with food lol, learn to love the stubbornness !!!

it doesn't matter how bad my day is going it love diesel when he's in that zone. Like if it's raining and I grab the lead, he's got that ( and you can sod off look ) on his big mushy face as I am dragging him out the front door

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
I have a Bullmastiff that is the same, he has defo got the Bulldog traits. I like that side of his character so much I thought I would get the real thing. I am a sucker for punishment. The upside is I can actually move Reggie if he refuses. I have no chance with the Bullmastiff haha ;0)

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
I used to have an English mastiff now I have an EBD puppy! They are the same!! My mastiff was the smartest dog I've ever seen however he only did what HE wanted to do when HE wanted to do it. My puppy, Patton, now is following in those footsteps. He does do *most* things for treats at home but oh man when we are at Puppy Kindergarten and there is so many way more intersting things going on than listening to me and Daddy forget it! He'd rather starve! lol It's the breeds. They are the smartest dogs I've ever had. Clearly they train us. I joke now "It's Patton's world and we're all just living in it!" Love my stubborn one to pieces!!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Mine knows that when i tell him "hier" he gets a reward but it takes time for him to come to me. He would first mark then sniff then come or he would just stare at me a good 3 mins. then come lol he makes me laugh so i dont mind.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online