Stubbornness!

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Bear is awful! Lol I knew bulldogs were stubborn, but I had no idea it could be this bad. He will literally stare at me when I call him and won't move. It's hard because we recently rescued a senior mastiff who does the same thing. I don't know if it's a dominance thing or if they really are just stubborn. Is this a phase? Is it a forever thing? He was doing really good with coming when called but he won't budge now. I have to nudge him in the butt or pick him up to get him to move! Any tips?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Treats....and hand feeding them shows your Alpha status it tells them you control everything including when and how much they eat.

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Totally agree with Jennifer, treats are a magical tool! He'll understand eventually.

kspencer

Feb 22, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Ava and Spencer
Have u had his hearing tested . If so I totally agree treats will get his attention.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/ [MENTION=8610]Jennifer Clark[/MENTION] … treats are the way to go… LOL

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yep... food will motivate the little stinker

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
jovi does this too. i really should try the treat thing aswell

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
He was doing great, I hate regressions! I guess it's back to square one with training :ohmy:

And, I don't thin it's his hearing. He hears me pour dog food into his bowl with no problems lol he knows to wait in his crate patiently :)

Sminshall

Jan 4, 2014
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Arrya
My mastiff , Rufus, wanted to come when called but it took a lot of energy for the big guy to get up and moving. Especially as he aged, it was easier and more for comfortable for him to stay put!:) My bully will do anything for a treat!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
"Have u had his hearing tested" . If so I totally agree treats will get his attention. :ROFL::lmaogirl:English Bulldogs are "selectively deaf" but can hear a treat box being open from the opposite side of a football field!!! Treats work pretty well, unless there is something more interesting elsewhere!!! Have you ever heard that Bulldogs Rule?

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
My Bulldog puppy is the same. I also have a Bullmastiff that is stubborn as hell. You open the back door and he drops to the floor like a sack of potatoes and plays dead to avoid being put outside. The front door is another matter as it means walkies....

He also does this in the car, when we are going somewhere nice he jumps out of the car like something silly. When we get home he refuses to budge. It is a good job my partner weight lifts as we end up having to carry him in and he is 133lbs....

The treat thing is interesting as he has stopped doing things for his normal treats. It has to be extra special like cheese, meats from the deli counter.....

Having said that, I do love his silly ways and he usually has me in stitches. I had him at the vets as he had banged his leg. The vet said not to walk him and rest it after he had given him anti inflammatory injection, because we tried to put him straight in the car and he associates the car with the beach/lakes he was playing dead in the street and everyone was looking. I just think he is way too clever and has me sussed out 👌

OP
monkey10262

monkey10262

Jan 23, 2014
Pittsburgh
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
He is comical, the sounds he makes and the way he moves, that's for sure! I just get so frustrated when he ignores me! He's been hurting my mastiff, Finley too. He likes to play really rough and always makes the poor guy cry. I'm afraid it will turn into a violent thing since they are both intact males.

The mastiff, Finley, has been re homed twice in the past year, so I understand that he's having a hard time. He has no manners, he pushes his way out the door, literally walks right over my son, he broke the dining room table because I ran the vacuum, lol, I think I'm just overwhelmed so the smallest things get me upset now.

EyeLoveOurBully

Apr 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Worf
Ours is stubborn, too! He is 10 months old. If he just stares at me without coming when called, I turn my back and wait or run away like something is interesting elsewhere. Eventually, curiosity will get the better of him and he will come and see what I am up to. Then I give him lots of praise and a treat (I hide the treats as I don't like to bribe, only reward). He now comes when called because we did this so many times.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.