Crate Training. How, his crying kills me...lol

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
So Gunner is sleeping in a clothes basket beside my side of our bed. Spoiled little brat! LOL
My hubby thinks I've lost my mind and thinks I'm being ridiculous. Gunners crying just rips my heart out! I can't stand it!
He really does need to be crate trained. We have his crate in our kitchen, which is right off the open doorway from the living room where we spend all of our time. He can see that the lights are on and he can most definitely hear us with a normal tone of voice.
In the 2 weeks we've had him, he is bell training to go potty outside and doing VERY well. We somehow hot him to pick ringing it up literally in a day:w00t: He's so smart.
He can also sit and stay for a treat, very cookie motivated!

Now how do I get him to stay in the crate at night or eventually when were gone for a short amount of time?

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Love this face!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 168

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe wook at dat wittle face! I would give Shelly Bean a treat after he went into his crate so he associated it with good also put one or two of his chew toys in there you van also try putting a stuffie in there that has your scent. Good luck!!!

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well, why don't you put him in his crate next to your bed at night?. He will be close to you, and he is already used to sleeping in that area at night.

mo77511

Jan 23, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sukie and Tucker
When we got Sukie I put her crate right next to my side of the bed and she would not have any part of that. We slept with the small travel kennel between us on the bed until we were able to get her in the crate without screaming bloody murder all night. When we got Tucker no problem with him sleeping in it but would start crying around 5 am every morning. He will be 3 this year and they both sleep in the bed now and he is still an early riser.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
When we got Harlea we put her crate at the end of our bed on my wife's side. The first night we covered it and she screamed and cried for about an hour before settling down and going to sleep. By the third night she didn't make a peep when she would go in there. However, we are also feeding her in the crate as well so it is always associated with something good. When we would leave we would just use a treat and she would go in willingly, but normally we will put her in the large play pen we got her to keep her safe and out walls intact and she now goes in and out of both of them all the time on her own. It just takes time and patience.

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
I seriously don't thinking our room is big enough to accommodate his kennel. We got him from someone who had an allergic reaction to him after only having him 4 days, they bought a HUGE crate! He won't ever outgrow it. I think I may move it into the living room, it's closer to our room and he can nap there during the day if he wants too.
Last night was the second neatly sleepless night in a row. Apparently playing all night is fun. NOT. I'm going yo have to go completely full speed at tiring him out today to get him on a more normal schedule lol!
I love this little turd!
We haven't had a puppy in 15 yrs tho!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well let's face it, you have been bitten by the bully bug. You are hopelessly in love. One thing I have found with my two guys is A TIRED BULLY IS A GOOD BULLY!! It will get better once he settles in. We rescued Frankie in December and it took a while to acclimate him to our house and routine. Good luck and keep us posted. It is always fun and reassuring to read posts of insanity just so we know we aren't the only ones insane.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
We covered Meatballs crate with a blanket. The crying eventually got less and less. Completely done by 2 weeks. Don't cave in, the process will take longer Lol

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
But he crieeeeeeesssssssss! Lol
OMG.
Bitten with the bully bug is such an understatement. He goes everywhere with me. I literally take him anywhere and everywhere that he can go inside! He follows me all over the house. He's such a spoiled turd!
If it keeps up, the vet will recommend surgical removal!! Lol ;)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
But he crieeeeeeesssssssss! Lol
OMG.
Bitten with the bully bug is such an understatement. He goes everywhere with me. I literally take him anywhere and everywhere that he can go inside! He follows me all over the house. He's such a spoiled turd!
If it keeps up, the vet will recommend surgical removal!! Lol ;)

That is the bully trait.... shadow, velco,,, go where you go - it is what they do. :giggle:

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
aww. ya im a bad mommy when it comes to crate training. I only crate her when im gone so i cant hear her whine lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
aww. ya im a bad mommy when it comes to crate training. I only crate her when im gone so i cant hear her whine lol

Our babies are always crated when we are not at home, but they sleep with us and have run of the house when we are home. They live her, we pay the bills :D

I love my shadow! Lol

Awesome aren't they :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.