Crate Training. How, his crying kills me...lol

spacekace

Apr 8, 2014
Im having a horrible time crate training Levi who is 7months we hav onky.had him on month...he wants to sleep.with us and Buster our three year old.EBD. How do I stop him.from barking every time he goe in no matter what treat he gets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
So I found a weekend training routine to try. Hopefully it will help. I'm not doing it on the weekend, starting it tomorrow, it's just a weekend LENGTH thing. I'm wanting to try the first day for 2 days since he's almost never been in his crate, and then will go to the next step.
Wish me luck!

OP
G

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
UPDATE!!!!!
Guess who decided last night that his crate wasn't so bad after all? Even if just for the get, I got 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep, I'll take it!
He was worn out, full belly, pooped and peed outside and I covered his crate with a sheet. He tapped about 5 minutes if that and out like a light!
FABULOUS!
I hadn't slept that long without him butting in for almost a month :)
hopefully this repeats itself, LOL

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I was always told why you go out leave a top behind the door, then the dog sniffs it can smell your scent and it calms the dog down
He slept in your clothes basket full of your family's scent.
Have you tryed to put in a few worn jumpers.
Also crate him for a bit during the day so he gets into his routine. If he Crys during the day it's no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

ArJay84

Jul 22, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Little late to this thread, but we've only had our 7.5 week bully pup for a few days, and we took some things from the weekend training guide there too. We went a little faster, but Millie seems to have taken to the crate pretty well. At night, she will go a solid four hours before we have to get up to let her out with no accidents. During the day, if she fell asleep, I would gently pick her up and place her in there, but not shut the door, so she could come out when she woke up. We also serve her meals in the crate, and put her in there for a half hour at a time, enticing her to willingly go in there with a treat and praise. She will whine for a bit when we leave the room, but usually calms down or just falls asleep within minutes. The whimper she makes breaks my heart, but I had to be strong! She's got to learn to work with our schedule and we will all be happier!

Today was my first day back to work and I crated her after her morning potty break, got ready upstairs and made my lunch in the kitchen where she could see me. She looked at me with sad eyes, but didn't whine at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Little late to this thread, but we've only had our 7.5 week bully pup for a few days, and we took some things from the weekend training guide there too. We went a little faster, but Millie seems to have taken to the crate pretty well. At night, she will go a solid four hours before we have to get up to let her out with no accidents. During the day, if she fell asleep, I would gently pick her up and place her in there, but not shut the door, so she could come out when she woke up. We also serve her meals in the crate, and put her in there for a half hour at a time, enticing her to willingly go in there with a treat and praise. She will whine for a bit when we leave the room, but usually calms down or just falls asleep within minutes. The whimper she makes breaks my heart, but I had to be strong! She's got to learn to work with our schedule and we will all be happier!

Today was my first day back to work and I crated her after her morning potty break, got ready upstairs and made my lunch in the kitchen where she could see me. She looked at me with sad eyes, but didn't whine at all!

That's great!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Hope something here helps.

My husband build Goob a pretty large crate (5'X5' and 3' tall). We put pillows, blankets, toys, a puppy pad, and his licks-it-bottle in there with him. I went inside the crate ALL THE TIME to play with him and lay with him so he knew that it was a good place.

We put Goob in the crate whenever we left the house. He cried the first day in the crate and never again. We covered it with a sheet so he could see us. He could hear our voices if we were home but he still didn't cry beyond the first day. We always gave him treats to go in, telling him "crate." He never fought us or ran away. It quickly became his little oasis. I would put Goob in the crate when a lot of company came over and they couldn't believe there was a dog in the house because it was so quiet.

We put him in the crate while I was at work (3-4 hours) and at night to sleep. Before he went in, we made sure he peed and had a bowl movement. But there was a puppy pad in there just in case.

Sorry if this post is all over the place. Just trying to think of all the things we did with Mr. Goob.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.