Behavior Problems with my puppy...is this normal?

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Hello,

I have a 10 week old EBD named General Patton. I got him at 8 weeks old. His name is beyond fitting for him as he is so stubborn! He is just the cutest thing in the world and I have changed my entire life to accomodate my new addition. I love him more than I even thought I would.

With that said, Patton is very aggressive. He bites and he bites hard. He jumps up at you and growls and latches on to your skin or your clothes, depending on what you are wearing. He does not let go. I have tried every technique I can think of. I even hired a private trainer to come to my house last Friday to teach me the correct techniques. I have tried positive reinforcement with treats, yelling owe, ignorning him and walking away, an air can...the list goes on. The only thing that seems to help is when he is being very aggressive he goes in his crate. He loves his crate and has since almost day one. I make his crate as comfortable as I can. He has a bed, a soft blanket and always has a mixture of soft and hard toys to chew on. I never tell him he is bad and then put him in his create. He is signed up for Puppy Kindergarten starting April 27th but I don't know what to do now.

I guess I am just asking- is this normal puppy behavior? Will he grow out of this? Are there any techniques, outside of the standard ones, that people have found to be helpful? Thank you for reading. :)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Oh the bullshark stage. I remember those days. What worked for us when my Sheldon started the aggressive stuff was we would just stop playing put his toy up and ignore him he got the picture. Bullies are very smart and very social. He is still a baby learning also you can try kenneling him when he gets like that.

Bulldogs rule...cats drool..."the Shelly Bean"

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
This is very very normal. They are insane biters when they are little. I equate bulldogs to toddlers/infants. When my Brutus would get out of control I would simply scoop him up, give him a stern no biting and put him in his crate for a time out. If he did not fall asleep (which most of the time he did) he was sprung in a few minutes. By doing this, Brutus learned that biting us was going to remove him from our company and he learned real quick not to do it. Most of the time he was overtired like a baby and this was how he expressed himself. He would wake up from his nap refreshed and ready to go. They do grow out of this stage but it is hard to live through with your fingers and toes intact. Good luck. We can sympathize with you, we have all been there.

AC2115

Apr 1, 2014
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxie
I am there now too!! Roxie is not as aggressive but more playfull but OMG those little needles for teeth hurt like H3LL! I do similar to Rosalie - scoop her up put my face to hers and say sternly - NO Biting! She seems to get it more. Hope it gets better for the both of us! :pray:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with everyone, he's just in that stage and will get over it. The trick is patience and persistence he'll understand eventually. :welcome: to EBN! Would love to see pics of the little General :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep puppy world.... Gang gave great advice. Patience is a big one... Consistency next.

OP
pattonsmom

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
Thank you all so much! It's nice to know I'm not alone. :)

OP
pattonsmom

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
IMG_2456.2014-04-05_185505.jpgHere is pictures from last Sunday!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Persistence and consistency is key with these guys. The bullyshark phase can and most likely will be very painful. When they bite or chew on something they are not supposed to you have to redirect their attention to an acceptable alternative or as others have done you have to put them in time out for a bit. However, either method you try it will take time for them to get the hint and even then they will still like to taste your fingers and toes from time to time. lol

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
yes everybody gave some great advise. It is normal so not to worry. But def try to avoid it from becoming a normal behavior rather than a phase. He will get over it just have a bunch of chew toys on hand! teach him what he can and cannot chew and say "ow" when he bites you so he knows you are hurting. Good luck and keep up posted :D

TRubble1

Mar 5, 2014
Oh yes, I feel your pain. Our 14 week old rubble is a real Bullyshark. I work away a week and am home a week so my wife gets a week of it by herself and it about drives her nuts. He is sweet when he wants to be but will bite your legs, pants, socks or anything he can grab while you try to walk. Be so glad when he grows out if it.
e7yvyhed.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G Reese87

Apr 17, 2014
New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I am going through the same thing it is horrible. He has put little holes in both me and my girlfriends lips latched on to her ear once too. We have tried the toy thing and it seems to work sometimes and then other he is very very persistent. We will sit on the couch and he will just launch at us from the floor. I had a pitbull an he wasn't nearly as bad as this little guy. He just turned 10 weeks old yesterday so hopefully this won't last too long lol. We also have him enrolled in puppy training April 30 I really hope that helps a little.

LifeWithLulu

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Princes Lulu (RIP 4/2/14) & Lucinda Mahoney aka Lucy
He's beautiful! I love the little heart shape on the top of his head.
My Lucy does the same thing. She growls and bites when she plays. We play along with her until she is tired and my husband actually (playfully) bites her back sometimes. We use some toys to have her pull and bite instead of our hands and feet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online