All she wants is a rub?

miketoo2

Sep 10, 2013
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
none
I have had a 5 month old female English Bulldog for 2 weeks. She is generally a good girl. The one thing that I am trying to work on is that when ever someone approaches her she will immedately lay on her side anticipating the person to pet and rub her. IF she is standing, she will lay down. If she was sitting she will lay down. All someone has to do is approach and bend over and she goes down on her side. Not the worst problem to have i guess. Her previous family had a toddler and maybe she was used to being rubbed all day. I am constanly cleaning her because she will lay down in the rain or in the mud because someone approaches. How can i start the slow process of teaching her she can be pet while sitting or standing too?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be she is a submissive type too.... Giving belly is a sign of that. You can try training her with treats and commands.... When she does the belly show, ask her to sit, give a treat when she does and lots of praise.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
my female bulldog does that too. She will lay down when she sees other dogs and waits for them to smell her first.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.