Thread: Pulling on leash... HARD

Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Otis
    Likes (Received)

Default Pulling on leash... HARD

Otis is about 10 months old now. At first, it was a challenge to get him to walk on his leash for even a block, but now he loves his walks. We regularly go on 2-3 mile walks since it's nice and cool this time of the year. The only problem is he is constantly pulling really, really hard. We bought an Easy Walk harness and that seems to help a little. I also try to walk ahead of him to show him I am the pack leader. However, he still constantly wants to lunge towards cars, or rustling leaves, or a piece of garbage... you name it, he wants to get it on a walk. He is also extremely strong and I'm worried one of these times he's going to slip out of my hands and get hurt.

Any suggestions???

Crazy Bulldog Lady IPickedADaisy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pulling on leash... HARD

Have you tried a martingale collar? That's the only thing that works for us even though Daisy has had lots of training. If i put any kind of regular collar or harness on her she pulls. It releases quickly after a quick correction. Nothing like the old choke collars.
    http://www.petsmart.com/supplies-tra...t=pfm%3Dsearch
    Want to see more of me? Follow me on Instagram @DaisyMaeHambone

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The trick I learned was to bring treats with me when I walk and to get him to focus on you while you walk not everything that's going on around him. If you stick with what you're doing right now though he will get it eventually.

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member tyree213's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert,Scarlet, Tyra, & Kevin
    Likes (Received)

Once he starts trying to pull you keep the leash on him short to the point where he can't go far or just be at you side. If you have to come to a complete stop then do it. Making him sit is even better. Sometimes thats all I have to do and give him a blank stare. Relax the leash give him a little more and continue to walk and every time he tries to pull and go ahead of you shorten the leash and stop as needed. If you stay consistent he will get it.

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

There are alot of training videos in youtube about leash pulling. here is one

and here are the other videos http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ch+not+to+pull.

I just watched videos on youtube to train my boy not pull. hope it helps .

Real Name
    Samantha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    June
    Likes (Received)

I need to watch these videos June does great on walks with her harness and leash but as soon as she sees someone she wants to say hi to, she pulls. It's a nightmare trying to walk around Petco!

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

My Blossom is a real puller too, she yanks my arm all the time. She actually hurt me last night, she pulled and my arm jerked at the elbow, I heard a crack, and the I spun around and she pulled my arm at the shoulder when she bolted. My arm and underarm are sore today.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bronson
    Likes (Received)

I don't really like Ceasar Milan all that much, but he does have great advice on walking dogs. Check out a Ceasar 911 episode and there will be some useful tips.

Real Name
    Holly
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda (Tilly)
    Likes (Received)

This.
    http://www.amazon.com/Pet-corrector-50ml/dp/B005JVANVG

It's called a Pet Corrector. All it is, is compressed air that makes a hissy noise. It's not very loud, you don't spray anything at your baby, but BOY does it get their attention! I don't know what it is, but dogs really respond to the noise.

I got it to teach Matilda not to chase down squirrells on walks (and send me flying). We also have the Easy Walk, which helped a lot, too.

All you do is bring it with you on walks, and once the pulling starts, spray. Your dog will stop in his tracks and look at you, and then you can tell him NO. It works so well that within days Matilda stopped pulling. If she just sees the Pet Corrector can, she'll stop whatever bad behavior immediately. It's awesome!

I ordered takeout today and showed her the can (didn't even use it) before opening the door. She sat quietly while I was able to get my food and pay. Works soooo well!

Remove Ads