Pulling on leash... HARD

choleramsey

Feb 5, 2014
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis
Otis is about 10 months old now. At first, it was a challenge to get him to walk on his leash for even a block, but now he loves his walks. We regularly go on 2-3 mile walks since it's nice and cool this time of the year. The only problem is he is constantly pulling really, really hard. We bought an Easy Walk harness and that seems to help a little. I also try to walk ahead of him to show him I am the pack leader. However, he still constantly wants to lunge towards cars, or rustling leaves, or a piece of garbage... you name it, he wants to get it on a walk. He is also extremely strong and I'm worried one of these times he's going to slip out of my hands and get hurt.

Any suggestions???

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The trick I learned was to bring treats with me when I walk and to get him to focus on you while you walk not everything that's going on around him. If you stick with what you're doing right now though he will get it eventually.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Once he starts trying to pull you keep the leash on him short to the point where he can't go far or just be at you side. If you have to come to a complete stop then do it. Making him sit is even better. Sometimes thats all I have to do and give him a blank stare. Relax the leash give him a little more and continue to walk and every time he tries to pull and go ahead of you shorten the leash and stop as needed. If you stay consistent he will get it.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I need to watch these videos :blink: June does great on walks with her harness and leash but as soon as she sees someone she wants to say hi to, she pulls. It's a nightmare trying to walk around Petco!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
My Blossom is a real puller too, she yanks my arm all the time. She actually hurt me last night, she pulled and my arm jerked at the elbow, I heard a crack, and the I spun around and she pulled my arm at the shoulder when she bolted. My arm and underarm are sore today.

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
I don't really like Ceasar Milan all that much, but he does have great advice on walking dogs. Check out a Ceasar 911 episode and there will be some useful tips.

hnhammond

Aug 20, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda (Tilly)
This.
http://www.amazon.com/Pet-corrector-50ml/dp/B005JVANVG

It's called a Pet Corrector. All it is, is compressed air that makes a hissy noise. It's not very loud, you don't spray anything at your baby, but BOY does it get their attention! I don't know what it is, but dogs really respond to the noise.

I got it to teach Matilda not to chase down squirrells on walks (and send me flying). We also have the Easy Walk, which helped a lot, too.

All you do is bring it with you on walks, and once the pulling starts, spray. Your dog will stop in his tracks and look at you, and then you can tell him NO. It works so well that within days Matilda stopped pulling. If she just sees the Pet Corrector can, she'll stop whatever bad behavior immediately. It's awesome!

I ordered takeout today and showed her the can (didn't even use it) before opening the door. She sat quietly while I was able to get my food and pay. Works soooo well!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.