Puppy Socialization Before Vaccinated

forriverhendrix

Mar 25, 2014
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
FN: River, MN: Hendrix
When I joined I had no idea I'd be posting so many threads. I mean, I knew I had questions but I guess real life experience from other bully owners just about beats a general google search every time doesn't it? So, now I'm curious about socializing River (10 weeks old) before she's fully vaccinated.

The breeder recommended that we be the only ones who handle her and especially keep other pet owners away. But telling our parents that they have to wait to meet their "first grandbaby" because they have fur kids of their own seemed a little ridiculous? We've been reading that it's actually critical to socialize puppies now to as many people, places, and things as possible because at 16 weeks it starts to become seriously difficult and almost guarantees behavioral problems. I don't want to expose her to something dangerous but I also don't want to quarantine her!

We think a good compromise is start with allowing friends and family to come over (regardless of whether or not they own pets) and just have them take off their shoes and leave them outside/ wash their hands before handling her. And Definitely no dog parks yet.

Looking for advice, your experiences, and recommendations for other SAFE early socialization tips...thanks!

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We had friends and family come over to meet Harlea a few days after we brought her home. However, being just as OCD as Harlea is now we did not take her anywhere other dogs would be other than our own and the vet until she had all of her shots at 16 weeks just to be safe. I don’t think there was any drawback to doing tbis and she gets along wonderfully with all sorts of dogs now even the pup we just rescued a few weeks ago she gets along with wonderfully.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Megan, when we first brought our two guys home at 10 weeks, the first thing we did was take them to the vet for a health check over, the papers we got from the breede had a clause in there that said they had to be vet checked within 4 days for the guarantee to be valid. We had them checked out, and made their appointments for puppy checks, stool checks, deworming and their vaccination schedule. Our vet told us to keep them away from parks, grassy areas, leash free parks, and any other places that other dogs may have been, like Petsmart, and other pet stores and places. She also warned us about Leptovirus which is contracted from the urine of wild animals like skunks, raccoons, squirrels, and possums etc. we lived on a trail beside a river, and had lots of wildlife in the area. Leptovirus is a serious virus and it one that can be transmitted to humans and cause kidney failure. We had to be very careful, we let them out just to do their duties, and then wiped their paws with a baby wipe when we brought them back in. Once they had their second vaccinations, the vet said we could socialize them with other dogs, as long as we knew the dogs and the owners, and that the other dogs were up to date on their vaccinations, so we could let them socialize with the other two dogs that lived in our complex. We still didn't take them for long walks, where unfamiliar dogs had been, we didn't go to parks, and we didn't let them walk in stores or go to the groomers until they had their last set of shots, and then we still had to wait for two weeks until the vaccinations reached their full affect. I don't think your puppy is in any danger of contracting anything from friends and family coming over to your house, it's not much different than having a new baby, and friends and family coming over to visit and see the baby, but you wouldn't take your new baby to a mall, or public place and let all kinds of strangers touch and handle your baby, and expose him or her to unnecessary germs, but as long as people remove their shoes in your house, it should be fine.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
I really feel that the rule applies to dogs that you don't know their vaccination history. We have three dogs of various ages and we didn't separate them for weeks before they met each other. I also took my dogs as 7-10wk puppies to meet my sisters dogs. I also know that my sister and her husband keep their pets clean, fecal is checked and vaccinated on a regular basis.

Parks, grassy areas etc should be avoided because this is where your puppy can come in indirect contact with other animals through urine and feces. That is a way for them to get sick.

Now with people just visiting - and if you're really concern, make your guest clean their hands with antibacterial gel and have them take their shoes off when they come in your house. In my opinion it's a bit overboard but I have had friends do this to me before. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Like [MENTION=9956]nubonics[/MENTION] said, it generally applies to dogs you don't know. If you know their vaccination history, and know they're healthy and clean, it's fine to socialize your pup.

I also think it's very important to socialize as young as possible. So we did a puppy class when Blue was 2-3 months. They required proof of at least 2 sets of vaccinations, and he got to play with other puppies in the group.

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
I agree with everyone else. We got Meatball Christmas Eve, so my house was full! However there were no dogs around. Our Vet told us to keep him away from dog parks, doggie camps etc. until second round of shots. So, we did just that. Once that waiting period was up, we immediately put him in doggie camp 3x a week, for playtime. Boy does he need that playtime too! Not sure if you will get a lazy bully, or be blessed with a hyper one like me lol:) either way trust your own judgement when it comes to your friends/family pets.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
IMO it's fine to have family over, and their pets as long as you know they are vaccinated and well kept…

But under NO circumstances any PUBLIC places w/your baby… this would include pet stores, puppy training classes, dog parks, etc…

We had a litter of pups over a year ago, and we stressed to the owners to keep them home until all of their vaccinations were completed. One of the pups got Parvo, and the parents were trying to blame it on us… all the other pups were checked immediately and were fine. Come to find out, they had taken the puppy to PetSmart to buy supplies, and letting him walk in areas where other unknown dogs had pooped. I was BEYOND pissed :pissed:

Luckily he survived treatment because he had several Parvo vaccines before they got him, but it's extremely expensive to treat a dog w/Parvo and you only have a 50% chance at that point. To me it's NOT worth it...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We think a good compromise is start with allowing friends and family to come over (regardless of whether or not they own pets) and just have them take off their shoes and leave them outside/ wash their hands before handling her. And Definitely no dog parks yet.

^^^^ perfect!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
We brought June home at 8 weeks. I can't remember how long after that we took her to my parent's house and she met their dogs, but it was before all of her shots. I know all 3 of my parent's dogs are taken care of and have all their shots so it wasn't a concern. She's happy, healthy, and socialized :)

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
I started really socializing Bella after her second round of shots only because my vet said it would be ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
My good friend is a tv dog trainer who works primarily with puppies (she did this years Budweiser commercial with the Labs and Clydesdales). She has been doing it for 20 years, and due to the nature of the work she has to socialize the puppies before the shot sequences are complete. She has only had 4 puppies catch any of the puppy diseases in that time. She doesn't take them to areas with large quantities of dogs (parks ect), but does try to get the dogs around as many other dogs as possible. Take it for what it's worth, but that was comforting with my little guy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.