Discipline problem 13 week old EBD

TRubble1

Mar 5, 2014
Ok, I know this is probably an old question but we have a 13 week old pup. At times he is sweet as can be but at other times he bites and growls and tends to get even worse when we try to correct him. He will break the skin when he bites and is worse biting with my wife than me. We have tried shaker bottles, yelling no and ouch, even holding him on his back as the vet suggested until he quit fighting. He just growls and barks at the shaker cup and goes back to the same behavior after holding him on his back until he gives up. My wife is truly at her wits end. We had a four year old male, Spanky, that passed away on us almost a month an a half ago now. We got from friends when he was two and loved him with all our hearts. This is our first go round with a bully puppy. He does well on a leash, loves to take rides and go for walks he just goes crazy with the biting sometimes. He starts puppy class on Tuesday the 25th and I hope it helps but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well pups will be pups and he will out grow this in time, but for now just keep giving him a chew toy every time he tries to bite you. When he gets tired he will get worse, just like a tired child. That is when it is time for a time out in his crate or pin. Don't svold him and then put him in his crate, make it an enjoyable thing and offer him a treat when you put him in there for a little nap.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
often pups will "act out" like this if they are not taking their energy out somewhere else. For instance outside. Maybe take him for a walk, let him outside longer, or just play with him until he is tired out. A lot of dogs feel restless and when their owners are just relaxing and they have all this energy they dont know what to do with it. Especially puppies. So just try some things like that and see how it goes :]. It will be a lot of work but it should help a lot. Just seems to be over anxious to me.

lcordero24

Mar 29, 2014
I used bitter apple in my hands and now he thinks twice before bitting my hand. If your puppy is way too energetic for you, use a laser point on the floor and make him chase the red spot all over. He'll get tired and is fun for him but most important, it's something you can do with little effort. Also a correcting tool can be an air duster. My puppy stops doing whatever I want him to stop when I use the air can.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Puppies are adorable but frustrating & aggravating too. He will outgrow this
but train him now, puppy class will help a lot. As others have said above, redirect
his attention, tire him out and crate when tired or being bad. Bullies may not show
it but are really very sensitive so always stay kind & calm but firm, consistent and
patient, try not to yell, I have a quick temper AND impatient so had to train myself
to deal with my bullies. Yelling or anger towards them does not work, just makes
them worse, use positive reinforcement, they'll do ANYTHING for food, lol Always
praise & reward effusively when he's doing what you want him to do.

Treasure this time with him, they grow soooo fast. Good luck & GOD bless!

B

Baxter Tiberius

Ok, I know this is probably an old question but we have a 13 week old pup. At times he is sweet as can be but at other times he bites and growls and tends to get even worse when we try to correct him. He will break the skin when he bites and is worse biting with my wife than me. We have tried shaker bottles, yelling no and ouch, even holding him on his back as the vet suggested until he quit fighting. He just growls and barks at the shaker cup and goes back to the same behavior after holding him on his back until he gives up. My wife is truly at her wits end. We had a four year old male, Spanky, that passed away on us almost a month an a half ago now. We got from friends when he was two and loved him with all our hearts. This is our first go round with a bully puppy. He does well on a leash, loves to take rides and go for walks he just goes crazy with the biting sometimes. He starts puppy class on Tuesday the 25th and I hope it helps but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Thank you.

What worked with Baxter was literally sitting there on the couch together and playing with him while watching TV / Movies, with my hand, and saying "ouch!" really loud, over ... and over ... and over ... and over.
I am talking like hundreds of times. And having to do it every day for weeks and weeks.

One thing I learned is that they have no desire to hurt you. They simply don't know they're hurting you. They don't know the leve of pressure when biting, that causes pain. And yes - they're rambunxious. But once Baxter got it, he is incredible now at never biting hard on skin or hands or faces or anything. Once he got it, he would clamp down hard on fabric but instantly "gum" my hand. Fully knowing the difference. The ouch technique works. But you have to create the situation manually, until they get the idea. And say it Loud! I took the advice of [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] who told me she would watch movies and just use that technique for hours on end.

-B-

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
What worked with Baxter was literally sitting there on the couch together and playing with him while watching TV / Movies, with my hand, and saying "ouch!" really loud, over ... and over ... and over ... and over.
I am talking like hundreds of times. And having to do it every day for weeks and weeks.

One thing I learned is that they have no desire to hurt you. They simply don't know they're hurting you. They don't know the leve of pressure when biting, that causes pain. And yes - they're rambunxious. But once Baxter got it, he is incredible now at never biting hard on skin or hands or faces or anything. Once he got it, he would clamp down hard on fabric but instantly "gum" my hand. Fully knowing the difference. The ouch technique works. But you have to create the situation manually, until they get the idea. And say it Loud! I took the advice of [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] who told me she would watch movies and just use that technique for hours on end.

-B-

When you say create the situation manually is it putting my hand in her mouth and let her gum it? Some people have said not to let them do that at all. I have tried the can she barks at it. The water she now drinks it.lol my skin can only take so much.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think he means tempt, and when they do bite, you need to yelp and I mean YELP!!!! Loud!

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
I think he means tempt, and when they do bite, you need to yelp and I mean YELP!!!! Loud!

Oh OK ya I have been trying that as well and she still bites just lite biting. What am I doing wrong?

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
We did 2 things with Henry. My husband said to redirect him with a chew toy. We couldn't just give it to him, we had to hold it while he chews. The other one was when he would chew I would put a finger in his mouth and say kiss kiss. And he learned to do a real soft nibble. I don't know why I did this. I guess one day I said "you don't bite, you kiss mommy" it worked so I continued. Henry doesn't like to get in trouble. I think it keeps him from being a terror. Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

We did 2 things with Henry. My husband said to redirect him with a chew toy. We couldn't just give it to him, we had to hold it while he chews. The other one was when he would chew I would put a finger in his mouth and say kiss kiss. And he learned to do a real soft nibble. I don't know why I did this. I guess one day I said "you don't bite, you kiss mommy" it worked so I continued. Henry doesn't like to get in trouble. I think it keeps him from being a terror. Good luck.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names

- - - Updated - - -

Wow OK ya I am up for trying anything at this point she is still really young but her teeth are like getting caught it barb wire.

B

Baxter Tiberius

When you say create the situation manually is it putting my hand in her mouth and let her gum it? Some people have said not to let them do that at all. I have tried the can she barks at it. The water she now drinks it.lol my skin can only take so much.

I wouldn't have to do anything. He'd eventually bite me. One technique I suppose would be to sit there and let him play with something while you hold it. Inevitably they'll bite you. Then you yell "ouch!" and pull away really quickly. This is a good technique because they can then bite the "rope" immediately, and they notice no "ouch". So rope = okay. Mommy's hand = not okay. And they start to form an awareness of the different textures between skin and rope / toy. But I ddn't need to do anything to set the scenario up usually. It happened nonstop :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Looks like you've gotten lots of great advice already. The good thing is that it is just a stage, and they do outgrow it.
I have 6 kids in my family all under the age of 6, they are all cousins, and the 6 year old is my grandson, who is at my house very often. I didnt want my guys nipping or biting the kids, so I made sure right from the beginning that I handled their ears, I put the heel of my hand in their mouths, I gave them treats and then took them away from them, the same with their food dishes, I would take away their food while they were eating and then put it back, and I would touch their toys and take them away while they were playing with them. I did this because I wanted them to be used to the kids, and if the kids were to touch them while they were eating, or touch their food, they wouldn't bite them. I also wanted them to be used to kids if they touched their toys. I trimmed their nails and brushed them from day one as well so they were used to it, and now they dont mind. I can put my hand in their mouths and take anything out of their mouths, and they never bite me. I also made sure to teach the kids to respect animals, and to be kind to them, I taught them that animals are living creatures and they feel pain just like they do, that you have to be kind and gentle. I also showed them how to give a treat with a flat palm, rather than with their fingers so they couldn't grab their little fingers when they gave a treat, and I would make the dogs sit nice before they got a treat. When my guys were puppies and they would nip and I would take their mouth in my hand and gently push their face to the floor and say NO Bite in a firm voice. It didn't take very long before they stopped nipping.

These are our kids, my Grandson, my nieces, and my nephews. They are all cousins.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 125
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 128
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 115
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 122
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 105
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 114
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235.9 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Looks like you've gotten lots of great advice already. The good thing is that it is just a stage, and they do outgrow it.
I have 6 kids in my family all under the age of 6, they are all cousins, and the 6 year old is my grandson, who is at my house very often. I didnt want my guys nipping or biting the kids, so I made sure right from the beginning that I handled their ears, I put the heel of my hand in their mouths, I gave them treats and then took them away from them, the same with their food dishes, I would take away their food while they were eating and then put it back, and I would touch their toys and take them away while they were playing with them. I did this because I wanted them to be used to the kids, and if the kids were to touch them while they were eating, or touch their food, they wouldn't bite them. I also wanted them to be used to kids if they touched their toys. I trimmed their nails and brushed them from day one as well so they were used to it, and now they dont mind. I can put my hand in their mouths and take anything out of their mouths, and they never bite me. I also made sure to teach the kids to respect animals, and to be kind to them, I taught them that animals are living creatures and they feel pain just like they do, that you have to be kind and gentle. I also showed them how to give a treat with a flat palm, rather than with their fingers so they couldn't grab their little fingers when they gave a treat, and I would make the dogs sit nice before they got a treat. When my guys were puppies and they would nip and I would take their mouth in my hand and gently push their face to the floor and say NO Bite in a firm voice. It didn't take very long before they stopped nipping.

These are our kids, my Grandson, my nieces, and my nephews. They are all cousins.

You have such a sweet family. Ya I have searching a lot for new stuff as my girl Mia barks and can and drinks the water from spray bottle. So I think I am going to do the mouth in the hand. So do I take my hand in a C grabbing top of nose and bottom jaw and push to floor? ?? Not sure😕 lol

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, when she nips or bites you, take your hand in a C shape around her mouth and gently but firmly push her face to the floor and in a firm voice say No Bite, Gentle, just repeat it every time, and she will eventually stop. It didn't take very long for our two guys to stop biting.

Members online

No members online now.