Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discipline problem 13 week old EBD

Looks like you've gotten lots of great advice already. The good thing is that it is just a stage, and they do outgrow it.
    I have 6 kids in my family all under the age of 6, they are all cousins, and the 6 year old is my grandson, who is at my house very often. I didnt want my guys nipping or biting the kids, so I made sure right from the beginning that I handled their ears, I put the heel of my hand in their mouths, I gave them treats and then took them away from them, the same with their food dishes, I would take away their food while they were eating and then put it back, and I would touch their toys and take them away while they were playing with them. I did this because I wanted them to be used to the kids, and if the kids were to touch them while they were eating, or touch their food, they wouldn't bite them. I also wanted them to be used to kids if they touched their toys. I trimmed their nails and brushed them from day one as well so they were used to it, and now they dont mind. I can put my hand in their mouths and take anything out of their mouths, and they never bite me. I also made sure to teach the kids to respect animals, and to be kind to them, I taught them that animals are living creatures and they feel pain just like they do, that you have to be kind and gentle. I also showed them how to give a treat with a flat palm, rather than with their fingers so they couldn't grab their little fingers when they gave a treat, and I would make the dogs sit nice before they got a treat. When my guys were puppies and they would nip and I would take their mouth in my hand and gently push their face to the floor and say NO Bite in a firm voice. It didn't take very long before they stopped nipping.

These are our kids, my Grandson, my nieces, and my nephews. They are all cousins.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  

-image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  

-image-jpg   -image-jpg   -image-jpg  
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 05-22-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Post printed twice
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Yvette
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Looks like you've gotten lots of great advice already. The good thing is that it is just a stage, and they do outgrow it.
    I have 6 kids in my family all under the age of 6, they are all cousins, and the 6 year old is my grandson, who is at my house very often. I didnt want my guys nipping or biting the kids, so I made sure right from the beginning that I handled their ears, I put the heel of my hand in their mouths, I gave them treats and then took them away from them, the same with their food dishes, I would take away their food while they were eating and then put it back, and I would touch their toys and take them away while they were playing with them. I did this because I wanted them to be used to the kids, and if the kids were to touch them while they were eating, or touch their food, they wouldn't bite them. I also wanted them to be used to kids if they touched their toys. I trimmed their nails and brushed them from day one as well so they were used to it, and now they dont mind. I can put my hand in their mouths and take anything out of their mouths, and they never bite me. I also made sure to teach the kids to respect animals, and to be kind to them, I taught them that animals are living creatures and they feel pain just like they do, that you have to be kind and gentle. I also showed them how to give a treat with a flat palm, rather than with their fingers so they couldn't grab their little fingers when they gave a treat, and I would make the dogs sit nice before they got a treat. When my guys were puppies and they would nip and I would take their mouth in my hand and gently push their face to the floor and say NO Bite in a firm voice. It didn't take very long before they stopped nipping.

These are our kids, my Grandson, my nieces, and my nephews. They are all cousins.
    You have such a sweet family. Ya I have searching a lot for new stuff as my girl Mia barks and can and drinks the water from spray bottle. So I think I am going to do the mouth in the hand. So do I take my hand in a C grabbing top of nose and bottom jaw and push to floor? ?? Not sure😕 lol

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Yes, when she nips or bites you, take your hand in a C shape around her mouth and gently but firmly push her face to the floor and in a firm voice say No Bite, Gentle, just repeat it every time, and she will eventually stop. It didn't take very long for our two guys to stop biting.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Real Name
    Yvette
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Yes, when she nips or bites you, take your hand in a C shape around her mouth and gently but firmly push her face to the floor and in a firm voice say No Bite, Gentle, just repeat it every time, and she will eventually stop. It didn't take very long for our two guys to stop biting.
    Thank you I tried right now and she went ballistic. Kicking her back legs and trying to get out of it. I think once she gets the hang of what I'm trying to do she will stop right?

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads