How to get a bulldog to sleep!

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Here's a question you guys don't get often lol:) how can I get Meatball to sleep! Yup you heard me right, just plain sleep. This boy is up at 3:00 a.m. EVERY morning. No, he does not need too pee, he needs to play!!!!! I have tried putting him in a room, not in his crate, to see if maybe he didn't like sleeping in the crate or he was uncomfortable. Well, that didn't work! At his usual 3:00 I heard a constant banging. My only thought is he was actually backing up and running into the door to get free lol :) I let him out or the whole house gets up. He's not exactly calm. I have tried everything, larger crates ( which I'm on my 4th because he eats the damn crate lol!), tried the crate in bedroom, tried giving him his own room with a couch to sleep! I'm serious! It's not like he naps much either, maybe 2 hours a day. AND he goes to camp to burn energy! HELP ;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 151

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
LOl looks like he's alot of fun! ok i take back what i said from your other thread, mine is also energetic but once i ignore him, he goes to sleep lol. i would suggest exercising him but you got that covered lol so no im no help :p.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Do you think he's hungry? What time is his last meal of the day? Maybe you can move it to a later time in the evening. And how old is your sweet boy, Meatball? He sure is handsome!

Oh, the other thought was having him go to bed at a later time. So try to tucker him out in the evening so he's plenty exhausted, have him sleep an hour later than usual and maybe he'll wake you up at 4am (instead of 3am)!? :w00t:

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
He's 2 years old. I don't think he's hungry. He eats around 6 in the morning and around 5 at night. I have put him to bed as late as 1 in the morning ( New Year's Eve) nope he was up at 3:00! I really do think he's just a playful dude. He WANTS to play, doesn't know how to shut off lol. I have tried laying downstairs at 3 to see if he will sleep with me on the couch. Yeah right!!!!!! He literally pulls off my covers and all! If I ignore him, he will run up and down the stairs non stop playing. My kids are still sleeping!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 144

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
What time does he go to bed? Harlea is an early riser as well and is usually up between 5am and 5:30am every day but will just sit quietly in her crate until I get her out. She usually goes to bed between 8:30pm and 9:30pm.

OP
4flowers

4flowers

Mar 21, 2014
NJ
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Meatball Tyler
Meatball goes to bed around 8-8:30.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
We put the kids to bed around 9-9:30pm and they are up at 5:30am with my husband, on the weekends 6:30am. I do everything to wear them out, play, walks, making sure they don't fall asleep until bedtime. That's the only thing that gets them to sleep all night...wear them out. Do you walk him? Maybe he needs some mental stimulation of training to wear him out?

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Maybe he's just fully rested? Aubie goes to be between 10-11, and she's up and good to go every morning between 6-7. She's turned me into a morning person, LOL.

Alouman

Feb 25, 2014
Country
England uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Barney
When you find the answer please share with me. My Barney is 2 next month and his time to play is between 2 and 2.30am then again around 4.30. If I ignore him he just barks and barks and barks. I'm thinking of getting another in the hope that they will tire each other out and maybe he will sleep. ��

B

Baxter Tiberius

Here's a question you guys don't get often lol:) how can I get Meatball to sleep! Yup you heard me right, just plain sleep. This boy is up at 3:00 a.m. EVERY morning. No, he does not need too pee, he needs to play!!!!! I have tried putting him in a room, not in his crate, to see if maybe he didn't like sleeping in the crate or he was uncomfortable. Well, that didn't work! At his usual 3:00 I heard a constant banging. My only thought is he was actually backing up and running into the door to get free lol :) I let him out or the whole house gets up. He's not exactly calm. I have tried everything, larger crates ( which I'm on my 4th because he eats the damn crate lol!), tried the crate in bedroom, tried giving him his own room with a couch to sleep! I'm serious! It's not like he naps much either, maybe 2 hours a day. AND he goes to camp to burn energy! HELP ;)

Find a local park and take him every day. Let him run free like crazy. He will sleep.

Its possible he's not running at the camp. Totally depends on the dynamic of the setup they have, and the dogs.

I now take baxter to a local park that has a football sized field of grass, and there are several other dogs there. He is let off his leash and runs until he falls over :) Works like a charm.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG :faint: he is an hyper-active bully! all you do seems correct... talk to your vet with the next visit, see if they have any suggestions/thoughts

Brianmays71

Mar 8, 2014
This might sound weird but to put buster to sleep I rub his butt like a baby and he goes right to sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
Meatball goes to bed around 8-8:30.
So, you put him in his crate at about 8pm and he wants to get up about 7 hours later at 3am? This doesn't seem all that surprising to me, actually. He may be ready to stretch, have a pee, get some attention, after 7 hours. He can probably be trained to stay in his crate quietly for longer than that, but for starters I'd put him to bed later. Like 10 or 11pm.

Tallulah sleeps on the couch next to me in the evening, mostly. But a couple of hours after she eats, we go out in the yard and walk around a bit (sometimes run back and forth) and then she poops. I take her out again to pee right before I go to bed. And she's a pretty slothful dog. For super energetic Meatball, I'd make sure there's some energy burning around 10 or 11pm. Run around, play chase, go for a walk, something. He may still get antsy after 7 hours, but that'll be at 5am or 6am instead of 3am.

Then work on the training.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
So, you put him in his crate at about 8pm and he wants to get up about 7 hours later at 3am? This doesn't seem all that surprising to me, actually. He may be ready to stretch, have a pee, get some attention, after 7 hours. He can probably be trained to stay in his crate quietly for longer than that, but for starters I'd put him to bed later. Like 10 or 11pm.

Tallulah sleeps on the couch next to me in the evening, mostly. But a couple of hours after she eats, we go out in the yard and walk around a bit (sometimes run back and forth) and then she poops. I take her out again to pee right before I go to bed. And she's a pretty slothful dog. For super energetic Meatball, I'd make sure there's some energy burning around 10 or 11pm. Run around, play chase, go for a walk, something. He may still get antsy after 7 hours, but that'll be at 5am or 6am instead of 3am.

Then work on the training.

Good post!

sent from my droid mini

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Let him go to sleep in the same bed as you. My dogs wake up early too. I can feel them sniffing around my head. When they see I am still asleep they settle down and go back to sleep. Leo will start pawing me if he has to go out to pee, but after that he goes right back to sleep on the covers.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online