Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a bulldog to sleep!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Default How to get a bulldog to sleep!

Here's a question you guys don't get often lol how can I get Meatball to sleep! Yup you heard me right, just plain sleep. This boy is up at 3:00 a.m. EVERY morning. No, he does not need too pee, he needs to play!!!!! I have tried putting him in a room, not in his crate, to see if maybe he didn't like sleeping in the crate or he was uncomfortable. Well, that didn't work! At his usual 3:00 I heard a constant banging. My only thought is he was actually backing up and running into the door to get free lol I let him out or the whole house gets up. He's not exactly calm. I have tried everything, larger crates ( which I'm on my 4th because he eats the damn crate lol!), tried the crate in bedroom, tried giving him his own room with a couch to sleep! I'm serious! It's not like he naps much either, maybe 2 hours a day. AND he goes to camp to burn energy! HELP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How to get a bulldog to sleep!

LOl looks like he's alot of fun! ok i take back what i said from your other thread, mine is also energetic but once i ignore him, he goes to sleep lol. i would suggest exercising him but you got that covered lol so no im no help .

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Do you think he's hungry? What time is his last meal of the day? Maybe you can move it to a later time in the evening. And how old is your sweet boy, Meatball? He sure is handsome!

Oh, the other thought was having him go to bed at a later time. So try to tucker him out in the evening so he's plenty exhausted, have him sleep an hour later than usual and maybe he'll wake you up at 4am (instead of 3am)!?

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

He's 2 years old. I don't think he's hungry. He eats around 6 in the morning and around 5 at night. I have put him to bed as late as 1 in the morning ( New Year's Eve) nope he was up at 3:00! I really do think he's just a playful dude. He WANTS to play, doesn't know how to shut off lol. I have tried laying downstairs at 3 to see if he will sleep with me on the couch. Yeah right!!!!!! He literally pulls off my covers and all! If I ignore him, he will run up and down the stairs non stop playing. My kids are still sleeping!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What time does he go to bed? Harlea is an early riser as well and is usually up between 5am and 5:30am every day but will just sit quietly in her crate until I get her out. She usually goes to bed between 8:30pm and 9:30pm.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Meatball goes to bed around 8-8:30.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

We put the kids to bed around 9-9:30pm and they are up at 5:30am with my husband, on the weekends 6:30am. I do everything to wear them out, play, walks, making sure they don't fall asleep until bedtime. That's the only thing that gets them to sleep all night...wear them out. Do you walk him? Maybe he needs some mental stimulation of training to wear him out?

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

Maybe he's just fully rested? Aubie goes to be between 10-11, and she's up and good to go every morning between 6-7. She's turned me into a morning person, LOL.

Country
    England uk
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Barney
    Likes (Received)

When you find the answer please share with me. My Barney is 2 next month and his time to play is between 2 and 2.30am then again around 4.30. If I ignore him he just barks and barks and barks. I'm thinking of getting another in the hope that they will tire each other out and maybe he will sleep. ��

Baxter Tiberius

Quote Originally Posted by 4flowers View Post
    Here's a question you guys don't get often lol how can I get Meatball to sleep! Yup you heard me right, just plain sleep. This boy is up at 3:00 a.m. EVERY morning. No, he does not need too pee, he needs to play!!!!! I have tried putting him in a room, not in his crate, to see if maybe he didn't like sleeping in the crate or he was uncomfortable. Well, that didn't work! At his usual 3:00 I heard a constant banging. My only thought is he was actually backing up and running into the door to get free lol I let him out or the whole house gets up. He's not exactly calm. I have tried everything, larger crates ( which I'm on my 4th because he eats the damn crate lol!), tried the crate in bedroom, tried giving him his own room with a couch to sleep! I'm serious! It's not like he naps much either, maybe 2 hours a day. AND he goes to camp to burn energy! HELP
    Find a local park and take him every day. Let him run free like crazy. He will sleep.

Its possible he's not running at the camp. Totally depends on the dynamic of the setup they have, and the dogs.

I now take baxter to a local park that has a football sized field of grass, and there are several other dogs there. He is let off his leash and runs until he falls over Works like a charm.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

OMG he is an hyper-active bully! all you do seems correct... talk to your vet with the next visit, see if they have any suggestions/thoughts
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

This might sound weird but to put buster to sleep I rub his butt like a baby and he goes right to sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads