Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get a bulldog to sleep!

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tallulah
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How to get a bulldog to sleep!

Quote Originally Posted by 4flowers View Post
    Meatball goes to bed around 8-8:30.
    So, you put him in his crate at about 8pm and he wants to get up about 7 hours later at 3am? This doesn't seem all that surprising to me, actually. He may be ready to stretch, have a pee, get some attention, after 7 hours. He can probably be trained to stay in his crate quietly for longer than that, but for starters I'd put him to bed later. Like 10 or 11pm.

Tallulah sleeps on the couch next to me in the evening, mostly. But a couple of hours after she eats, we go out in the yard and walk around a bit (sometimes run back and forth) and then she poops. I take her out again to pee right before I go to bed. And she's a pretty slothful dog. For super energetic Meatball, I'd make sure there's some energy burning around 10 or 11pm. Run around, play chase, go for a walk, something. He may still get antsy after 7 hours, but that'll be at 5am or 6am instead of 3am.

Then work on the training.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZuleikaD View Post
    So, you put him in his crate at about 8pm and he wants to get up about 7 hours later at 3am? This doesn't seem all that surprising to me, actually. He may be ready to stretch, have a pee, get some attention, after 7 hours. He can probably be trained to stay in his crate quietly for longer than that, but for starters I'd put him to bed later. Like 10 or 11pm.

Tallulah sleeps on the couch next to me in the evening, mostly. But a couple of hours after she eats, we go out in the yard and walk around a bit (sometimes run back and forth) and then she poops. I take her out again to pee right before I go to bed. And she's a pretty slothful dog. For super energetic Meatball, I'd make sure there's some energy burning around 10 or 11pm. Run around, play chase, go for a walk, something. He may still get antsy after 7 hours, but that'll be at 5am or 6am instead of 3am.

Then work on the training.
    Good post!

sent from my droid mini

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Leo & Lola
    Likes (Received)

Let him go to sleep in the same bed as you. My dogs wake up early too. I can feel them sniffing around my head. When they see I am still asleep they settle down and go back to sleep. Leo will start pawing me if he has to go out to pee, but after that he goes right back to sleep on the covers.

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Meatball Tyler
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I'm going to have to put him to bed later, and give him a good run right before that. Will try all this tonight and see what time he's ready to tango!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads