Baxter keeps getting attacked at the dog park

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Totally agree with not keeping Baxter on a lead in the dog park. Most even require you not to.

Since you're in Miami, there's probably a few dog meet up groups. You should check them out since they're a safer environment than dog parks, and a good way to socialize Baxter. You can even start your own for Bulldogs.
If you're not a member of any groups, just google "meetup", go to the first link and search for "miami dogs".

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Ruthie always gets attacked at the dog park, or is the attacker so i just don't take her. She plays much more aggressive than any other dog, so it turns into a vicious sort of mode between her and whoever she is playing with. I let her play with dogs i know she's good with or we play at home.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June doesn't know when to back off either and I learned that this weekend at my parent's house. They have a 13 year old golden retriever who normally couldn't care less about June. They also have 2 rescue puppies (about a year old but don't look like puppies anymore haha) who are much bigger than her that she plays with. Anyways, while the pups were outside I was feeding June and the golden (Sonny) kept going to check out her food because she was getting distracted by my mom. Totally not thinking about the consequences, my mom gave Sonny a milk bone treat so he would leave her food bowl alone and he took it to his bed to eat like normal. June was interested and wanted to check it out and Sonny growled, barked, and then bit her! I had to run over and pull her away because she wanted to go back for more! He's a grumpy old boy now, so she really needs to learn when to back off. She thinks she's a lot bigger and tougher than she is.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would avoid dog parks as well and do meetups instead, or play dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
My Bella is the same way. She's now once a week attending with me at the KY Humane Society what they call Puppy Socials where a trainer is present to help correct problems but basically it's up to 8 puppies playing with one another and learning basic social skills from one another, it's been great for Bella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
Dog parks are too out of control. I never take my puppy to the dog parks because if dogs keep nipping at him, he will become skittish, and eventually he will become dog aggressive. It is not worth it, not saying don't let your dog have fun, but it needs to be in a controlled environment

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I took Bocephus to a dog park a couple weeks ago and at first it was great - couple great danes were the only other dogs there and he just started running with them like he was one of the big dogs. Eventually another dane came in that didn't like having him underfoot and laid him down with a paw. Bocephus cried and was scared to go near them again. I worry about taking him back that there is just no way to know anything about the other dogs there.

I really really really wish there was a bully group here in Utah

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I gave up on dog parks years ago ... too many out of control dogs not watched by so called owners. Find yourself a pack of friends and create play dates with dogs you know Baxter can play well with and each can tolerate the other.

On thing I learned with Banks' she is just hit or miss with all dogs in general and we have to watch how she interacts or doesn't interact to know if this is the right place for her to be. However when she was young (under 4), she LOVED playing with American Bulldogs, Pitbulls and Cane Corses were her absolute favorites at park. BUT, when she was in daycare, she could not be in with the larger breeds, she did nothing but start fights, so she was kept in little breeds where she was an absolute angel (hard to believe, I know). She just walked around and sat on a slide watching all that went on but was well behaved and played with some of the pups but not much interaction. My point is, it could just be the environment is not a good match for Baxter.... try to find an alternative that would be more fitting to his play style.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I have never trusted dog parks because too many people don't have the ability to control their dogs. We have a dog beach here where all dogs are supposed to be leashed, but none of them ever are even remotely watched by their owners. I would be careful and not take him back to the dog park. As one of our old trainers said, aggression toward your dog because he doesn't understand when to back off will awaken something in him that you NEVER want to see.

Emily

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Debo
I'm in Utah too [MENTION=5523]Bulldozersma[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.