Baxter keeps getting attacked at the dog park

B

Baxter Tiberius

Every single time we go.

He seems incapable of understanding when dogs are warning him to back off. He just goes right in anyways, sticks his face right between their teeth, while doing the "bully wave" with his paw right onto their forehead.

Everyone thinks its cute, but inevitably, he will get fully attacked. Pitbulls are notorious for not putting up with it and also the most dangerous. No offense but after 3 weeks of this, there's a marked difference between the behavior of every dog there, and the pitbulls. I am constantly worried for his safety.

Yesterday he upset another dog so much by just being so "in their face" (friendly) that it was viciously growling and biting him, while he was screaming in pain. He had Baxter on his back and was ripping at him viciously. Everyone came running.

10 seconds later Baxter walked right over to the still-angry dog and put his paw on the dogs face while trying to lick him. He wont walk away. He wont get the hint / warning to leave. He focuses on the one dog that is about to destroy him, and keeps going back to it.

Any suggestions?

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe poor Baby!!! He is just so friendly those other meanies need to learn manners!!! It's ok Baxter we wubbie you!! I really have no advice other than keeping him leashed so you can eagle eye him.

Mommy says I'm not suppose to play with her phone ha ha Mommy signed The Shelly Bean

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think Baxter is just too innocent, and doesn't realize about "anyone" being unfriendly. It would worry me, especially with pitbulls. I would put him on a long line(like 16ft.) so that if he doesn't know when to back off,you could pull him back. I have never been to-or seen a dog park, but have seen several court cases about pitbull types getting aggressive to other dogs at dog parks. It would scare me-with Baxter not being "street wise." With a long line, he could still play at a distance. It's nice that he gets toplay with other dogs, but not worth him getting torn up. Don't Know what would be a solution. Sure hoping he doesn't get hurt.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree. Keep him on a tether. Frankie is an in your face kinda bully also. I just pull him back and tell him enough and keep moving along. Dog parks aren't my favorite place anyway. Do you have friends with dogs that Baxter can play with so you can be certain of his playmates temperment?

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I learned to just take them to the small dog park (our local dog park has a section for small dogs and a section for large). As a matter of fact, everyone seems to converge in the small dog park whenever a pit bull who is not a regular comes in.
My vet says that bulldogs make weird noises with all their grunting that other dogs don't know what to make of. Someone else on hear made a good point about bulldogs being too "chesty" and getting too close to other dogs' personal space because of their short snout. Whatever it it, I always remove them when another dog they are trying to play with obviously wants nothing to do with them.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We have a lot of members here who have pitties so lets try to be careful about pitbulls. I think more the point here is letting any dog have personal space if they are asking for it. Keeping Baxter on a leash until he gets personal space is the best course of action regardless of the breed of dog.

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
We have a lot of members here who have pitties so lets try to be careful about pitbulls. I think more the point here is letting any dog have personal space if they are asking for it. Keeping Baxter on a leash until he gets personal space is the best course of action regardless of the breed of dog.

I apologize. I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but I was just stating a fact about how people react in my area. It was not an opinion about pit bulls. If we are not allowed to talk about pit bulls though I will be happy to oblige.

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I apologize. I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but I was just stating a fact about how people react in my area. It was not an opinion about pit bulls. If we are not allowed to talk about pit bulls though I will be happy to oblige.

Absolutely not. I just don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt. I get being on guard around unfamiliar pitbulls. I really didn't mean it to any one person in particular. This is the best site for discussion. I would never want anyone to feel censored. I apologize if you thought i meant you. Common sense applies to all breeds. Unfortunately our crazy bullys think everyone and everything is there for their entertainment!

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Absolutely not. I just don't want anyone to have their feelings hurt. I get being on guard around unfamiliar pitbulls. I really didn't mean it to any one person in particular. This is the best site for discussion. I would never want anyone to feel censored. I apologize if you thought i meant you. Common sense applies to all breeds. Unfortunately our crazy bullys think everyone and everything is there for their entertainment!

Got it! :facepalm2:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Agreed with everyone -either keep him leased and when you see him getting "in their face" -simply call him back to you (if his not good at the recall bring him back)
After the incident i would keep Baxter away from the other dog rather than allow him to go back-this is accident waiting to happen -the fault would be on both sides
Pit-bull or not -tbh! I always got annoyed when i was walking with my rescues or foster dogs on the leash ( especially those that were new to my house hood ) and some strange dogs in all shapes and sizes came running in at full speed into my american bulldogs, pits ,amstaffs -whats worse -after asking the owner to recall their dog and while walking away they done it again - if anything would happen -one of mine dogs would be to blame -even to they were leased -but they were bull breeds .

In the case if dog parks where they all running around playing etc -it is the owner responsibility to make sure their dog is behaving ,and playing right -we all know Baxter is a softie but this attitude of going back to a dog that do not want to play with him got to be changed-to avoid problems for both of the owners-and if it cant be changed simply take him away when you spot hes getting too much

Im sorry but off all the years if owning pits i know one thing -those dogs have a lot of patience -but like with any breed they all have their
Limits!
(Ps i dont mean to come across as harsh here xx)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well if you know other dogs are going to attack him and bite him, then Do not take him there. By you doing this you will eventually make him mean. That is no way to socialize him. Take him where he and other dogs are on leashes, so they can not attack him. Sorry if I sound rude, but it's not good to take him places where he will get attacked. This is why I do not take my bullies to off leash parks. That is a good way to get your boy hurt bad or even killed if some pits attack him.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Great advice above. One thing I've started training curly to do is sit whenever a dog walks up to him and stay seated while the other dog smells him. I keep him on a leash and I don't let him walk up and introduce himself to other dogs because he is chesty too.

But I agree with [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] maybe instead you look into a EB meetup to bring Baxter to. You have had so much bad luck with dog parks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
It is not a good idea to keep a dog on a leash where all other dogs are free. That also sends a wrong message to the other dogs and you really may have to use it to pull him of a bad situation. I use to take Usko to dog parks with no trouble, so I'm all for them. But if he don't fit in don't take him there. Rather try to find a few dogs that have his sweet nature and go on play dates with them.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
[MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] totally agree with you on your leash point. To clarify, curly is chesty in introductions which could be seen as aggression to other dogs so I don't let him run and introduce himself. So instead the leash is loose when he meets other dogs and I have him sit. I agree with you that a tight leash can also be seen as a target to other dogs so when they get into the butt smelling part of intros I let go of the leash.

chaygirl79

Mar 12, 2014
GA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diesel and Roxy
Yes I am with RIiSi. I would not have him on the leash inside a dog park with other dogs.
How about a day care? I know they evaluate the dogs first to see in what room they should go. Maybe once a week he could go there to play with other dogs what can handle his sweetness?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online