Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Baxter keeps getting attacked at the dog park

It is not a good idea to keep a dog on a leash where all other dogs are free. That also sends a wrong message to the other dogs and you really may have to use it to pull him of a bad situation. I use to take Usko to dog parks with no trouble, so I'm all for them. But if he don't fit in don't take him there. Rather try to find a few dogs that have his sweet nature and go on play dates with them.

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

@RiiSi totally agree with you on your leash point. To clarify, curly is chesty in introductions which could be seen as aggression to other dogs so I don't let him run and introduce himself. So instead the leash is loose when he meets other dogs and I have him sit. I agree with you that a tight leash can also be seen as a target to other dogs so when they get into the butt smelling part of intros I let go of the leash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel and Roxy
    Likes (Received)

Yes I am with RIiSi. I would not have him on the leash inside a dog park with other dogs.
    How about a day care? I know they evaluate the dogs first to see in what room they should go. Maybe once a week he could go there to play with other dogs what can handle his sweetness?

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Totally agree with not keeping Baxter on a lead in the dog park. Most even require you not to.

Since you're in Miami, there's probably a few dog meet up groups. You should check them out since they're a safer environment than dog parks, and a good way to socialize Baxter. You can even start your own for Bulldogs.
    If you're not a member of any groups, just google "meetup", go to the first link and search for "miami dogs".

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruthie & Brutus
    Likes (Received)

Ruthie always gets attacked at the dog park, or is the attacker so i just don't take her. She plays much more aggressive than any other dog, so it turns into a vicious sort of mode between her and whoever she is playing with. I let her play with dogs i know she's good with or we play at home.

Real Name
    Samantha
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    June
    Likes (Received)

June doesn't know when to back off either and I learned that this weekend at my parent's house. They have a 13 year old golden retriever who normally couldn't care less about June. They also have 2 rescue puppies (about a year old but don't look like puppies anymore haha) who are much bigger than her that she plays with. Anyways, while the pups were outside I was feeding June and the golden (Sonny) kept going to check out her food because she was getting distracted by my mom. Totally not thinking about the consequences, my mom gave Sonny a milk bone treat so he would leave her food bowl alone and he took it to his bed to eat like normal. June was interested and wanted to check it out and Sonny growled, barked, and then bit her! I had to run over and pull her away because she wanted to go back for more! He's a grumpy old boy now, so she really needs to learn when to back off. She thinks she's a lot bigger and tougher than she is.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I would avoid dog parks as well and do meetups instead, or play dates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bully Bootie Duty Become a 4 Paw Member Brandie37's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Bruno & Louie
    Likes (Received)

My Bella is the same way. She's now once a week attending with me at the KY Humane Society what they call Puppy Socials where a trainer is present to help correct problems but basically it's up to 8 puppies playing with one another and learning basic social skills from one another, it's been great for Bella

Bulldog(s) Names
    Debo
    Likes (Received)

Default Baxter keeps getting attacked at the dog park

Dog parks are too out of control. I never take my puppy to the dog parks because if dogs keep nipping at him, he will become skittish, and eventually he will become dog aggressive. It is not worth it, not saying don't let your dog have fun, but it needs to be in a controlled environment

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kori
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
    Likes (Received)

I took Bocephus to a dog park a couple weeks ago and at first it was great - couple great danes were the only other dogs there and he just started running with them like he was one of the big dogs. Eventually another dane came in that didn't like having him underfoot and laid him down with a paw. Bocephus cried and was scared to go near them again. I worry about taking him back that there is just no way to know anything about the other dogs there.

I really really really wish there was a bully group here in Utah
    My sunshine doesn’t come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog’s eyes.

James Hond, My Sunshine

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I gave up on dog parks years ago ... too many out of control dogs not watched by so called owners. Find yourself a pack of friends and create play dates with dogs you know Baxter can play well with and each can tolerate the other.

On thing I learned with Banks' she is just hit or miss with all dogs in general and we have to watch how she interacts or doesn't interact to know if this is the right place for her to be. However when she was young (under 4), she LOVED playing with American Bulldogs, Pitbulls and Cane Corses were her absolute favorites at park. BUT, when she was in daycare, she could not be in with the larger breeds, she did nothing but start fights, so she was kept in little breeds where she was an absolute angel (hard to believe, I know). She just walked around and sat on a slide watching all that went on but was well behaved and played with some of the pups but not much interaction. My point is, it could just be the environment is not a good match for Baxter.... try to find an alternative that would be more fitting to his play style.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Chris
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have never trusted dog parks because too many people don't have the ability to control their dogs. We have a dog beach here where all dogs are supposed to be leashed, but none of them ever are even remotely watched by their owners. I would be careful and not take him back to the dog park. As one of our old trainers said, aggression toward your dog because he doesn't understand when to back off will awaken something in him that you NEVER want to see.

"Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them and
    filling an emptiness we didn't even know we had."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads