Potty training a rescue bully

Rmontiel0533

Mar 17, 2014
I recently rescued a 5 yr old bully who had been kept in a crate his entire life. He goes whenever and where ever he gets the urge. Crate training won't work because he's accustomed to going where he ate, slept and lived. I've been walking him every 2 hrs and that keeps him from going in the house, during the day at least. I hope to gradually increase the time between walks. I'm also going to try diapers. Also worth mentioning, he drinks an excessive amount of water. Any thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi there , you done a great thong rescuing unwanted bully x
First off all have you vet checked him-especially when you mentioned hes drinking excessive amount of water -it could be nothing but still is worth checking
With all my rescues i went back to basics with potty training -i gave them a treat and praise every time they went potty where they should-if your bully is food orientated this might help-start from a high value treats (but adjust your bully food accordingly so he wont eat too much) then once he " understood that he gets a treat every time he does potty outside" use his own food as a treats for a while and then gradually reduce it to a praise only -it will take time and patience, but it is all worth the effort x

OP
Rmontiel0533

Rmontiel0533

Mar 17, 2014
Thanks Pati. I'll add that to the plan. His blood work indicated possible kidney issues, but urinalysis came back normal. So we'll keep an eye on that. His tongue is always hanging out of his mouth. I wonder if that can cause dehydration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi and welcome to EBN.... Pati (she rocks) gave you great advice. i am going to move your thread to the training section and tag a few members that also have experience with rescue bullies - they may have more insight for you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.