Night Pooper?

pchop13

Mar 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop
Hello everyone. I'm new here.. and having a problem with my male bulldog mix ("Olde English Bulldogge"). He is 1 year old, and has recently began pooping in his crate at night. This happens almost every night (3 times a week minimum), even if I wake up to let him out. I've tried letting him out at 3 and 4 am. He'll return to his crate, only to poop in it sometime later. He never urinates in the crate.. it's only poop. And he doesn't seem to care. He will step in it, sit in it, etc. I'm also becoming concerned about having to bathe him so often. Some basic info:

-His crate is the plastic type, and snug. There isn't too much room.. he can stand, lay and turn around. He enjoys his crate and has always napped in it and slept in it willingly. Crate training was a breeze.

-He's only in his crate at night, or when we leave. I work from home, so most days he's never alone for long periods of time. However, we do go out 1 time a week during the day and he is crated for 5 or 6 hours. He never soils his crate during the day. Seems to only be at night, when we are home.

-He's eating 4 cups of Merrick kibble each day. He's done really well on this food.. healthy coat and eyes and has nice solid stools. He's leaner than your typical purebred bulldog (being an OEB) and is not at all overweight or over-fed.

-Potty training was very difficult for him. I've never had so much trouble potty training a puppy before! Our older dogs (2 and 3 years old) who I also trained were fully housebroken and accident free by 5-6 months of age. He continued to have problems up until 10+ months (pooping in the house).

-Obedience-wise, he is great. He listens well, is extremely smart (knows many tricks and commands), and aside from a little too much excitement at times, is a very pleasant dog. He gets along well with the Boxers and they are all very balanced and happy.

-Our vet recommended feeding him 1x a day to help regulate his bathroom habits. We began doing this at 10 months of age. This helped and he no longer poops in the house (unless left out at night instead of being crated, which I've also tried!). He eats at 6pm (sharp!) every evening.

-I've had him and his stools checked by the vet multiple times. No worms or other health issues.

-As mentioned above, I have tried letting him sleep outside of the crate at night with the other dogs. He will poop on the carpet.

I am terrified to try feeding him multiple times a day again, or to attempt feeding him at any other time than what he's used to, so I figured I would come here and ask first. Perhaps if I feed him at 3pm instead of 6? Should I switch food? Any other suggestions, tricks or tips? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I would cut back on the amount you are feeding him just a bit and see if that helps. I would also take him out right before he goes into his crate at night and first thing when he wakes up in the morning if you aren't already doing that. Welcome to EBN, I love his name.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I would try feeding him earlier in the day-maybe even in the morning, and just save a small amount of it, for about 3p.m. Try that for a few days, and see if it makes any difference. I am assuming that his stools are not loose.

OP
P

pchop13

Mar 14, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop
Thank you guys.. we can definitely try feeding earlier. I guess I'm just scared he'll go back to pooing in the house at all hours of the day. He's never been good at signaling his need to go outside. We manage by letting them all out every 4 hours or so when we're home, and he does poop before bed.. usually at 10 or 11 pm. But then he'll go again in his crate, almost like he does it on purpose. He actually goes almost twice as much as the other dogs. They poop 2-3 x a day. He will poop 4 or 5+ times, round the clock. They're all on the same schedule.. it just doesn't make sense to me.

Would it be common for it to take awhile for him to adjust to a completely new schedule? Should I expect immediate results or might it take a few weeks? I feel so clueless because I've never had this problem before, even though I've had dogs all my life. It's embarrassing, especially typing the word "poop" so much! Anyway I can handle the crate accidents, but back when he was having much more trouble going outside the crate, it was getting out of hand. We have white carpet... yes, we are crazy haha!! :blush2:

I would only worry about him becoming too lean if we were to cut back on the amount of food.. he's extremely active and already on the leaner side of lean. I'll upload some photos soon, but he basically has the body of a pit bull with the big wrinkly, smush-faced, pouty-lipped underbite head of an EB. He runs with the older dogs for hours, tugs on and hangs from his tree rope for hours, loves walks, swims in our pool, etc. He's more athletic than any Boxer or other breed I've ever had. He weighs 55 lbs and stands 19" tall.

His stools are solid, yes. Once in a great while they would be on the softer side, but I found out that was because someone would slip him some table scraps here and there. Have since cut out all people food, treats, etc.

One thing I forgot to ask.. His food is grain free. Would feeding a food made with rice or a healthier grain (is there such a thing?) help any? I asked my vet this but they seem to think Science Diet is the best thing since sliced bread and I don't often trust vets when it comes to nutrition. I'm very picky about what the dogs eat. We are actually considering switching all the dogs to RAW, but would like to get his poop problems under control first. His current kibble has 38% protein and 18% fat.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Giving him a pro biotic supplement, or maybe some plain yogurt ( a tablesp. or two) on his food may help him get more benefit from the food he eats, and help his digestive system. Usually the more benefit out of the food, the less they will poop. Start with a tsp, then increase it,if he hasn't had yogurt.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I also have a night pooper, it's not fun:ashamed: but he wakes me up so I can take him out, and after that he doesn't go again... My boy has developed a "fear" of the lawn in front of the house, but if I just take him to the grass in the back garden he's fine, Bulldogs:facepalm2: It seems to me Pork Chop (awesome name:w00t:) poops a lot... mine only go 1 or 2 times a day. I don't know much about the dog foods you guys have in America but RAW is very nice for them and healthy too:)

Maybe changing the time he eats will change his habits to poop... but if he poops 4-5 times a day it sound like it would be better to find a way to make him poop less. I hope you can find a "cure", it must be frustrating for you to deal with the poop and the baths all the time. Hugs to you both:hug:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Would love to see pics of him. You are right about vets and Science Diet, they get kickbacks from them to recommend and sell their food. So wrong.

Brianmays71

Mar 8, 2014
I agree with pdolphin27 that way your put him on a schedule

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:welcome3: to EBN ..... the gang has you covered..... good luck and would love to see some pictures of your PorkChop!

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
I'm still in the process of adopting a recently adopted adult to a new schedule. One thing that's really helped for us is that I take her out at specific times and walk her around until she poops. Sometimes she wants to go right back inside after she pees, but I don't let her. And I get her to walk around (she'll follow me around the yard) to encourage things to, er, get moving. It took me a few days to figure out when she might go, compared to when she ate, but once I figured that out, I make sure she goes when she's outside at those times.

Also, get a really good enzymatic cleaner and clean the crate. Make it not smell like he's done his business in there before.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Eating 4 cups if food at 6pm at night would certainly make him meed to relieve himself in the middle if the night. The pressure would be unbearable!

We do 6 am and 6 pm and that way they poop after each meal and maybe one more between each meal if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.