Help Needed! The pack leader

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
How are you guys teaching your bulldog his/her role? You watch Ceaser he goes ack and the dog pees and does what he wants. I see a lot of people say put them on their backs. My Jacks never challenged me they just knew. Rambo has mot either but I read a lot and know that they will test you. So I want to be ready and use the correct way.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I don't believe in a pack leader thing -dogs and wolfs now share only about 1% dna now ,besides when a young wolf done something bad he wasn't put in his place using force etc (book called inside of a dog is a great read -it shows how different dogs are from
Wolves and how wolves act in their pack vs dogs)
I use positive reinforcement training , it is nit that dogs challenge you -they just hit their "teenage rebellious " stage -what i do then is go back to basics ;-)

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
How are you guys teaching your bulldog his/her role? You watch Ceaser he goes ack and the dog pees and does what he wants. I see a lot of people say put them on their backs. My Jacks never challenged me they just knew. Rambo has mot either but I read a lot and know that they will test you. So I want to be ready and use the correct way.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

I believe in setting very clear Rules, Boundaries and Limitations and above all Consistency Consistency Consistency ... if your dog knows what you expect from them they are comfortable and confident family members. Submitting a dog is something you really need to know how to do correctly before you ever attempt it but with consistent rules within the home submission should not be needed.

bulldogs4me

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Community Veteran
Sep 25, 2012
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Klava
I don't believe in a pack leader thing -dogs and wolfs now share only about 1% dna now ,besides when a young wolf done something bad he wasn't put in his place using force etc (book called inside of a dog is a great read -it shows how different dogs are from
Wolves and how wolves act in their pack vs dogs)
I use positive reinforcement training , it is nit that dogs challenge you -they just hit their "teenage rebellious " stage -what i do then is go back to basics ;-)

the modern dog and the wolf dna may be far separated but that doesn't change the fact the dogs still have a pack mentality and within a modern dog pack there will still be the leader and the followers and taking that "leader" role makes for a more confident family dog ... if there is no leader a dog will try to assume that role even if by nature it is a follower.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I also agree that pinning them should not be done unless you know how to do it correctly. Positive reinforcement is always a good way to train, plus setting rules for them is good. They need to know when they are doing something you do not want them to do, and you can do this without yelling and never ever hit them. A little bump on the rump to redirect their attention works just as well. A little "ack" gets their attention too, whatever you choose to use. I use the "ack" or "NO" for mine. Even a stern "bad dog" and they will know you are not pleased with what they did. Plus timing is very important. If you didn't catch them in the act, then don't reprimand them for it. You must catch them in the act and correct it immediately. Other people have great success with making them earn everything. Make them sit before they eat, or get attention. Make them sit and wait at the door before they go out, and you always go out first and come back in first. When you walk them they walk beside you and not in front of you. If they are in front of you or are pulling on the leash. Make them stop and sit. Then start the walk again. Keep this up until they get the idea to walk with you and not ahead of you. It all takes time and patience, and most of all, be consistent. Most dogs naturally want to please their owners and be a part of the family. Good luck with your training, relax, and have fun, they will learn, it just takes time.

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
I believe in setting very clear Rules, Boundaries and Limitations and above all Consistency Consistency Consistency ... if your dog knows what you expect from them they are comfortable and confident family members. Submitting a dog is something you really need to know how to do correctly before you ever attempt it but with consistent rules within the home submission should not be needed.

Excellent answer, I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I also agree that pinning them should not be done unless you know how to do it correctly. Positive reinforcement is always a good way to train, plus setting rules for them is good. They need to know when they are doing something you do not want them to do, and you can do this without yelling and never ever hit them. A little bump on the rump to redirect their attention works just as well. A little "ack" gets their attention too, whatever you choose to use. I use the "ack" or "NO" for mine. Even a stern "bad dog" and they will know you are not pleased with what they did. Plus timing is very important. If you didn't catch them in the act, then don't reprimand them for it. You must catch them in the act and correct it immediately. Other people have great success with making them earn everything. Make them sit before they eat, or get attention. Make them sit and wait at the door before they go out, and you always go out first and come back in first. When you walk them they walk beside you and not in front of you. If they are in front of you or are pulling on the leash. Make them stop and sit. Then start the walk again. Keep this up until they get the idea to walk with you and not ahead of you. It all takes time and patience, and most of all, be consistent. Most dogs naturally want to please their owners and be a part of the family. Good luck with your training, relax, and have fun, they will learn, it just takes time.
I like the walking helpful tip. I will practice her walking by my side not in front of me. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online