Need advice for 9 weeks old Agnes

CaveDiverFL

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
We just picked up little Agnes from the Breeder about 1 week ago and she's been great. There have been a few new issues lately with her behavior that are getting annoying and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what to do about it.

1.) Taking her outside / leash:
She never had an issue with wearing a collar and was never scared of it, we usually take her outside about every 45-60 minutes when we're at home. For the first few days she did pretty well but now she's getting a little rebellious; she just walks where ever she wants to, if I try to pull her gently to get her to walk to a specific spot or if I try to get her away from something on the ground she just starts fighting me. She will pull away from me backwards and fight the leash and collar or just lay down and bite and fight the leash. I'm not sure what I can do to direct her, or how to pull her away from stuff without having to pick her up every time.

2.) Peeing on floor:
The first few days she really did well with the potty training and she was able to make it to the puppy pad on the floor about 75% of the time, now she just walks all over the house and find a spot somewhere and pees without even looking for the puppy pad. I've always rewarded her for peeing in the right spot but now she just ignore it.

3.) Biting / chewing:
She's a chewer which is normal for a puppy, I never let her bite or chew my hands and arms and try to direct her to a chew toy instead. I always use a command (Aus) as a way of saying stop which usually works for a few seconds and then she's chewing on us again. She's especially bad about biting pants legs and ears when we lay down. Any advice for this would be great.

Thanks for your input, I do realize that these things take time to learn for a puppy but I want to approach these issues the right way without punishment for the puppy.

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
1. I never let jovi out on a leash. Ever since day one with getting her I let her out front and she wouldnt leave the yard. However there were some days she would hit that rebelious stage herself and start "wondering" towards the road. After that I would yell at her and point to the ground and say "POTTY HERE" and soon enough she would go right where I pointed and then I would take her back inside. Its all with how firm you are being as well as calm. She will listen to you. Maybe she feels she is the dominant one, and that right there needs to be corrected. When she does this yell firmly but not scary, just dominantly so she knows you mean business.

she is still young. and bullys take a few months to potty train. In my expereince as well as others on here they dont fully understand to go outside until 5 months and by then they will be fully potty trained. at 4 months they will know the term "outside" or to go to the door when they need to. But you have to act quick when you see the warning signs of them needing to go outside until THEY learn to wait. Also 40 mins seems to long to not go potty. At that age it should be every 20-30 mins. Especially 5-10 mins after each mean and water.

3. biting is also common. but it sounds like she is teething. so get her a bunch of chew toys to occupy her. to her she doesnt understand what teething is. it is just painful and she knows bitting things help. so EVERY-TIME she bites something she shouldnt tell her no and give her a chew toy instantly so she knows the difference.

She is just having normal puppy behavior for the most part. these things take time. I was frustrated my first week or two but then i learned i needed to be pateient and she has been great ever since. GOOD LUCK and congrats on your new addition :)

OP
C

CaveDiverFL

Mar 5, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agnes
1. I never let jovi out on a leash. Ever since day one with getting her I let her out front and she wouldnt leave the yard.

Thank you for your answer, I wish I could let her into a yard. I live in an apartment and the lawn outside is downward sloping and goes into a lake. If I were to let her loose the would roll downhill into the water, also if I let her loose some other place in the apartment complex I risk her getting into other dogs poop. She's only 9 Weeks old and missing some shots from 10 and 16 weeks so I don't want to risk her getting into it.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Excellent advice given-have you thought about using a harness for her ?
She is still young she will learn , i used to speak in really funny cheerful voice to get Lilly to walk -now -she walks great on a leash

2) she will have her good and bad days-be patient , keep doing what you doing ,watch for any signs that she wants to go potty -sniffing circling and place her on a puppy pad , if you catch her peeing pick her up straight away and put her on the pad-she will most likely ignore and wont pee ,but give it few minutes and she will x

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Ace has been with us for a little over a month. He is 16 weeks old, and we are still teaching him. One thing he does not do, is notify us that he needs to go. I've seen other's mention that their pups stand by the door, scratch the door, etc. to notify them they need to go. If I don't time myself properly after his meal, he will poo indoors. Same goes with peeing. Last week I took him outside, he did his business, and 30 min later while playing with him indoors, he pees on my carpet. Oh well, he's still a baby. Ace is food driven, so I use his own kibble for reinforcement. I do this EVERY TIME he potties where he should (outside). Good luck, patience and consistency is the key.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
I've always been opposed to potty pads as I'm a firm believer in it confuses the dog. I would say if she's having trouble get rid of the potty pad. As far as biting my trainer told me to use listorine- it worked wonders! It doesn't hurt them but they hate the taste. Well my female hated the taste my male actually like it and tried drinking it lol. Just rub it in her mouth and on what you don't want her to bite- say no and redirect with a toy. Look into harnesses collars can irritate blogs as they grow due to the amount of extra skin and fat they have around there neck. If she won't walk coax her with a treat. I actually tied a jerky treat to the leash so duchess would constantly try to get it- the old carrot in front of the donkey idea. It worked! Good luck!

pattonsmom

Apr 9, 2014
CT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
General Patton
We just picked up little Agnes from the Breeder about 1 week ago and she's been great. There have been a few new issues lately with her behavior that are getting annoying and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips on what to do about it.

1.) Taking her outside / leash:
She never had an issue with wearing a collar and was never scared of it, we usually take her outside about every 45-60 minutes when we're at home. For the first few days she did pretty well but now she's getting a little rebellious; she just walks where ever she wants to, if I try to pull her gently to get her to walk to a specific spot or if I try to get her away from something on the ground she just starts fighting me. She will pull away from me backwards and fight the leash and collar or just lay down and bite and fight the leash. I'm not sure what I can do to direct her, or how to pull her away from stuff without having to pick her up every time.

2.) Peeing on floor:
The first few days she really did well with the potty training and she was able to make it to the puppy pad on the floor about 75% of the time, now she just walks all over the house and find a spot somewhere and pees without even looking for the puppy pad. I've always rewarded her for peeing in the right spot but now she just ignore it.

3.) Biting / chewing:
She's a chewer which is normal for a puppy, I never let her bite or chew my hands and arms and try to direct her to a chew toy instead. I always use a command (Aus) as a way of saying stop which usually works for a few seconds and then she's chewing on us again. She's especially bad about biting pants legs and ears when we lay down. Any advice for this would be great.

Thanks for your input, I do realize that these things take time to learn for a puppy but I want to approach these issues the right way without punishment for the puppy.

Hi!

I just joined this site yesterday and came across your post just now. I am mom to a 10 1/2 week old male puppy and I am currently having issues with numbers 2 and 3 you mentioned in your post. Thankfully my Patton loves walks and is very very well behaved on his leash. Currently that is the only time I can guarantee he will behave. He consistently pees in the house even if he has just gone outside. I hired a trainer last week for a private session and he told me to reward Patton with a treat immediately everytime he goes to the bathroom outside. I have been doing this consistently 100% of the time ever since and he seems to get it when we are outside because now after he goes he comes over to me and sits down and looks up at me so sweetly and waits for his treat. Fast forward 20 minutes later and he is peeing in the house without a care in the world for a treat.

In addition, he is, in my opinion, overly aggressive and bites and growls and jumps; which is why I hired the trainer. The trainer said while he has more agression than a typical puppy he's not abnormal.

Sorry for the rant but since your post is about a month old I was just wondering what techniques you found helpful? Thanks! Have a nice day. :)

GunnersMommy

Apr 4, 2014
Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunner
Gunner is bell training at the front door. He rings jingle bells to go out. He does this most consistently. Impressive because he's been using them less than a week. We know we still have to watch him though just in case. He has one puppy pad out. It's in his crate only because if he's gone in the house, he uses his crate (ugh) so frustrating.
He also chews no hops and growls. He's 8 wks old, and ALL PUPPY for sure.
I reward him with a "cookie" every time he uses his bells and goes out to potty or poop. We come in talking about he's a good baby and let's get a cookie. I talk to him like he's a baby, he eats that up!
Such a silly little fat wrinkle monster!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.