My EB is kind of vacant

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
New bully owner, we rescued a 2-3 year old EB about 2 weeks ago. She's very enthusiastic first thing in the morning - snuffling and snorting and she goes running through the house then she mellows out. For the rest of the day she spends it watching me make her food, eating her food or sleeping. She'll get up every once and a while and will just sit and stare into nothingness for a long period. I have never heard her bark, growl or whine. The only noise she makes is her snorting and snuffling. She's very mellow and submissive, she'll patiently let me poke and prod her for all her daily maintenance of wrinkle cleaning, eye treatments, skin treatments, foot soaking, etc. We have another dog who was not at all pleased when Daisy joined our family and she would growl and snap at her. Daisy would just crawl on her belly and be as inoffensive as possible. The other dog is coming around finally and sniffing her and let Daisy sniff her back (big progress, she never lets anyone sniff her). Daisy was checked out at the vet, no sickness or parasites but definitely under-fed, she was very skinny for a bulldog.

I am wondering what kind of toys might interest her or how I can draw her into play. I worry about her being bored. I tried a Nylabone but she was not interested in it at all. She got a big rawhide bone that she'll chew on a little but will otherwise ignore. She's a rather careful eater - chews her food and carefully chews up any bones in her meal instead of attempting to wolf it down. She likes pets and cuddles, she'll come find me to get pets through out the day. She doesn't like to go outside, she will go into the yard to do her business then run directly back to the door.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Welcome to the world of bulldogs! Hard to believe, but Daisy sounds like many bullies here. Since she's a little bit older, she will be mellow and will spend most of the day sleeping. Expect up to 18 hours! Seeing she just joined the family, let her get familiar with your routines and other dogs. Eventually she'll be comfortable enough and realize that it is fun to play. The type of toy depends on each pup …. one of my guys can only have indestructible toys such as antlers and jolly eggs, the other loves stuffies (and won't destroy them).

Try to include her when you play with your other pup, and be as enthusiastic and have joyful energy as you can … she'll sense that. Playing tug-o-war works for my guys. Go for as much walks together, etc, etc. G'luck! Daisy sounds like a doll!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Ftse does much the same as Daisy does he sleeps most of the day having little plays here and there but mostly sleeps, he likes nylabones, stuffiness and anything that squeaks.
Daisy sounds normal to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have never had a rescue that has stayed at the house, and I will tag some members that have more experience. Sounds to me like a normal bully though, and I would give her more time to adjust to her new home… there is NO telling what she came from before. Good luck, and Thanks for giving her a new home!!! :D

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Sounds like she still needs some time to adjust. If she watches you prepare her food and enjoys eating she may like the kong wobbler - you can put her favourite treats in it and she can play and work to get them out. My bully is food driven and he loves it. Best of luck!

Wobbler-700x700.jpg

Last edited:

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
She sounds like "the perfect dog' to me. Wanna' swap for the "wild bunch?!":rundog::rundog::rundog::rundog:Some dogs never had a home where they had toys and even a place to play. She has only been with you 2 weeks, and it sounds like it is going pretty well. I had a rescue,though it wasn't a bulldog-who was 2 years old, and didn't know a thing about toys. He would duck his head and flinch and close his eyes if I moved my arm to fast. It took him awhile to learn about toys, and it was so great when every once in awhile, he started to play. She just sounds very mellow, and she may always be that way-or after awhile, she may open up a little!

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Thank you for rescuing Daisy:) In October 2010 me and my husband rescued a female bulldog named Joey who had just turned 3 years old. Joey has always been pretty laid back, she gets her moments where she takes a toy and goes mad with it for a few minutes but then she's done. In the mornings when I get up she sometimes don't even recognizes that I'm up, she just keeps sleeping until I start cutting the "morning apple" up, lol. Basically the only thing apart from the occasional 2 minute toy madness the one thing that can get her going is food:tongue: and if someone swim in the pool... she goes absolutely MAD. Where we live now we don't have a pool though, but I think it's about finding the things that excites her:) She's not been with you for very long, I think she'll probably get more comfortable in time. And also if this is your very first bulldog you will wonder what is up:) Bulldogs are different from any other breed I've had, and I've been around a few. My parents had a x-breed of hunting dogs when I grew up and my grandparents had a dachshund, when I moved to my own place I had a Jack Russel and right now besides the bulldogs we have a Pug, a Shar Pei mix, a Chihuahua mix and a Jack Russel mix. And when I met my husband he had pitbulls... Bulldogs seems the happiest when they can just be with you, they don't need things to happen ALL the time like many other breeds. As long as she's gotten an OK on her health check up I don't think you have anything to worry about:) Her personality will show more and more in time but I doubt she'll ever be the crazy hyper Labrador type of person;)

One only thing I can think of that made Joey less active is the fact that she had hip dysplasia, so if Daisy hasn't had an x-ray to check her hips that might be a good idea. With Joey we noticed she lost her patience with our other dogs as she probably hurt playing, also she couldn't go for long walks. But that doesn't have to be the case with Daisy, not at all:)

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
She sounds absolutely wonderful welcome to the wonderful world of EB's. The love we receive from these gentle giants is immeasurable. Thank you for your selfless act and rescuing a fur baby. Their snorts and snuffles and snores soon become our lullaby's and can't sleep or function properly without them. She sounds like she has wonderful manners. Watch the rawhide closely if she swallows too large a piece it can cause an obstruction so please be very careful when she is chewing on it watch her closely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thanks folks. She's really quite adorable, but definitely not like any dog I've known. She hanging out on the front lanai of her own accord this morning getting some sunshine. Maybe she'd like a smaller chew toy, she was picking up bits of sticks out there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Ace loves empty water bottles, especially on tile floor cause they go all over the place. I always take the wrapper off and the plastic ring that is left from the cap when you open it. I had 3 toys when we first got Ace. He wouldn't care much for them. Slowly, I've been adding to the collection and I think I'm up to about 10. He will grab whatever he feels like and plays with it for a few minutes, then goes grabs the other and repeats until I have a living room full of dog toys. LOL

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
My dogs love laser pointers and chase the little red dot around until they are dead tired. They get more exercise doing than anything else they do. She sounds like a love though. Congrats!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Bless you for rescuing her. It takes some time for them to come out of their shell. So just give her some time to get used to every thing. She sounds wonderful, and so sweet. Kongs are good toys and Nylabones are good chew toys. Rawhides are bad for bullies and can be deadly, also pigs ears and bully sticks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with the others... give her some time. I tagged Chris, she has a rescue, Mabel that is starting to come out of her shell and may be able to help you understand or give some pointers.

Good luck and thanks for rescuing this sweet girl!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
New bully owner, we rescued a 2-3 year old EB about 2 weeks ago. She's very enthusiastic first thing in the morning - snuffling and snorting and she goes running through the house then she mellows out. For the rest of the day she spends it watching me make her food, eating her food or sleeping. She'll get up every once and a while and will just sit and stare into nothingness for a long period. I have never heard her bark, growl or whine. The only noise she makes is her snorting and snuffling. She's very mellow and submissive, she'll patiently let me poke and prod her for all her daily maintenance of wrinkle cleaning, eye treatments, skin treatments, foot soaking, etc. We have another dog who was not at all pleased when Daisy joined our family and she would growl and snap at her. Daisy would just crawl on her belly and be as inoffensive as possible. The other dog is coming around finally and sniffing her and let Daisy sniff her back (big progress, she never lets anyone sniff her). Daisy was checked out at the vet, no sickness or parasites but definitely under-fed, she was very skinny for a bulldog.

I am wondering what kind of toys might interest her or how I can draw her into play. I worry about her being bored. I tried a Nylabone but she was not interested in it at all. She got a big rawhide bone that she'll chew on a little but will otherwise ignore. She's a rather careful eater - chews her food and carefully chews up any bones in her meal instead of attempting to wolf it down. She likes pets and cuddles, she'll come find me to get pets through out the day. She doesn't like to go outside, she will go into the yard to do her business then run directly back to the door.

Thank you, Christine, for tagging me (sending you LOVE)...

Hello and welcome to EBN...GOD bless you for rescuing Daisy and giving her a
loving home. As a new EB owner, there is a big learning curve but you have EBN
to help you learn fast :) I have rehomed two bullies by now, Cami has been here
a year at the end of this month. Both of them took some time to adjust, trust and
show their true selves to me. Both were just as sweet as could be and both minded
well but it was a revelation how much MORE they had to give once they finally gave
me their heart...it made me tear up as I wrote this, remembering! Since Daisy is a
rescue, you have no idea what her background is or how she's been treated. It's to
her credit how very sweet/loving she is AND...she may be older, like 4 or 5 yrs old.
Brutus had been rehomed many times & didn't know how to play, with people or toys.
He was learning tho and was a great bully in every way, such a gentleman and such a
big goofball. Once he opened up to us, he made us laugh so often and was very gentle
to Mother who has Alzheimer's and would drag him across the room to lay beside her,
thinking he was her Pug and fat with puppies and scold him, it was hilarious!

Cami was a former breeder/bitch for a kind & reputable Breeder and then adopted out
when retired. Sadly, they got divorced and neither could keep her so I took her. She's 6
now and is much like Daisy, very lazy and when her business is done, she too, scampers
indoors immediately. She will not walk or even stay outdoors, she hates outdoors! It took
Cami even longer than Brutus to open up, we really bonded deeply just 3 or 4 months back.
That doesn't mean we weren't close or she wasn't loving, she was but more reserved longer.

Like I said, wait until Daisy adjusts a bit more, your other dog has fully accepted her and she
knows that your home IS really her home, she'll steal your heart with her love & loyalty.
Read the great articles under Forums and learn about this awesome breed, they are so very
different. Please continue to share your journey & how Daisy grows with your love. GOD bless!

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thank you. It really still blows my mind that someone would dump her like they did. Just left in the middle of the road, in the pitch black, no concept of the danger of cars and starved. She's so incredibly sweet. Some of that bully stubbornness is coming out regards to going outside but even so, you can't help but look at her and laugh.

I know I have a kong around somewhere - we got it for my other dog but she wasn't interested. Maybe Daisy will like it. They are getting along better and better now. Daisy pretty much sleeps all day, alternating spots from sunny patch, to bed, to tile.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.