ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Thanks folks. She's really quite adorable, but definitely not like any dog I've known. She hanging out on the front lanai of her own accord this morning getting some sunshine. Maybe she'd like a smaller chew toy, she was picking up bits of sticks out there.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Welcome! Daisy sounds very much like our Mabel. When you are used to "play machines" like we were, this was a rough transition.:eek: I seemed to think Mabel was missing something because she never played or barked. [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] is right, after a while she may warm up to your routine and undergo a change, but she may never be what you expected from a dog. That said, you will also warm up to her routine and love her even more! :heart:

Not knowing about Daisy's past I think her behavior may indicate she never had an opportunity to play with toys. Mabel is completely disinterested too. When I put treats in a Kong, she ignores it--unless it's peanut butter. We had to stop that because when she licks anything like that for too long, the stuffing comes out of her nose--a huge mess. :hmm:We took her to Petco and let her walk the toy aisle and bought anything she seemed to like. Nope. That didn't work either. :idea2: What we found is a large section of elk antler. It is the only thing she likes. She plays keep-away for about 3 minutes, then retreats to a quiet place and chews for about 20 minutes--and not every day. Her extreme facial features, while part of her charm, don't give her much stamina for any kind of activity. :(

This has been an adjustment for us (having had boxers and bullmastiffs) but she has never met a stranger on two legs--and has a legion of followers here in town--including the pizza delivery guy who asks for her every time he makes a delivery.

Daisy has an advantage in that she has a fur sister who might demonstrate how to play. Give her time. Keep us updated on her progress. We don't regret for a minute adopting Mabel. Thanks for giving Daisy a home where she will be loved and cared for. As you all get to know each other you will find there is nothing being owned by a bulldog!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, like everyone has said welcome to the world of bullies, she sounds like a typical normal bully to me. I have two EBs, a male and a female, they are siblings and litter mates. My male Bulldozer is the most laid back, quiet, sweet guy. He doesn't like to walk, he loves to sleep, and cuddle beside me, and he will play a little bit, but prefers to play quietly by himself on the floor, he eats slowly, and waits so patiently for me to put his food dish on the floor. His sister Blossom is the total opposite, she's the Taz, eats like its her last meal, and inhales it, she would walk for hours if I let her, and she is in play mode all the time. She will cuddle too, but not until she's been crazy for a while first. Maybe daisy is just more laid back, or she just needs more time to get used to her new home. Thank you for rescuing her, and giving her a loving forever home.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Hi, like everyone has said welcome to the world of bullies, she sounds like a typical normal bully to me. I have two EBs, a male and a female, they are siblings and litter mates. My male Bulldozer is the most laid back, quiet, sweet guy. He doesn't like to walk, he loves to sleep, and cuddle beside me, and he will play a little bit, but prefers to play quietly by himself on the floor, he eats slowly, and waits so patiently for me to put his food dish on the floor. His sister Blossom is the total opposite, she's the Taz, eats like its her last meal, and inhales it, she would walk for hours if I let her, and she is in play mode all the time. She will cuddle too, but not until she's been crazy for a while first. Maybe daisy is just more laid back, or she just needs more time to get used to her new home. Thank you for rescuing her, and giving her a loving forever home.

I guess my Izzy is Blossom's twin sister!!!!

KarenP

May 3, 2013
PEI
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
She sounds like a wonderful dog! Maybe go outside and try to around with her and engage her a bit? But she does sound pretty perfect already :)

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I wish I could get her to step more than 3 feet from any of the doors willingly! She really doesn't like outside. I don't know if maybe it's because it all smells like my other dog and Daisy is trying to respect boundaries?

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
[MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] lol I was thinking the same thing. My Rambo is like a kid goes goes and goes more makes my other Jack Russell's even go we had enough lol then he will just drop😳

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

ZuleikaD

Mar 3, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tallulah
I just recently adopted a rescue, too! I'm still trying to figure her out.

The first couple of days we went on some good walks then she refused to go. She was better after I got a block or so from the house, but then she refused to even budge. I tried luring her with treats or pets & scratches. Turns out she had a minor injury on the bottom of her foot and walking had aggravated it. The rescue hadn't said anything about it. And those first couple of days, maybe she was just following along even though it hurt her foot and once she got a little settle she said "No way."

The new situation has also caused a big allergy flare up. Again, the rescue didn't think she needed any food restrictions. She was doing well on a certain type of kibble, so I continued that. But they said whatever treats were fine. So maybe the allergy flare up is stress or maybe different kinds of treats. The vet told me to stick to no grain everything and only one animal protein source.

Basically, everything that we thought might be one thing is possibly different. And I think it takes several weeks to learn all about your new pup and get into a routine with her. She's probably really overwhelmed with another new home (even if she was in foster care for a while after coming in off the street), just like my girl.

I'd take her to the vet soon, just on general principle. Both because the vet may notice some things you don't and because if she's fine, then the vet has a chance to get to know her when she's healthy.

For now, we've discovered that she likes to run a bit in the back yard, so she's getting a little exercise. I think she really needs it to stop her from turning into antsy, obnoxious dog. For toys, when I introduce something new she ignores it. But smear a tiny bit of peanut butter on it, and it's her new BFF. Even days later, she'll still be chomping on it.

And now I'm going to go wrestle a 50 lb. bully to give her some ear drops.

OP
alohadaisy

alohadaisy

Feb 23, 2014
Hawaii
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
[MENTION=11310]ZuleikaD[/MENTION] I think we have a lot in common! I'm dealing with allergies for Daisy too. Our vet also advised limited ingredient food. After reading and reading I decided to try raw since it's hard and expensive to get the good kibble here. Overall we are having good results - the skin on her body has healed and her fur is growing back. I think I am dealing with a yeast problem that may be the root of her allergies. Externally it's her ears and feet. The detox phase sucks. I wonder if her feet are sensitive to the feel of the grass? She chews her paws and legs raw on top if I let her, drying and powdering stop her.

I tried taking her food dish out to the yard and could only get her to come 3 feet onto the grass. Trying to lure her further results in her turning tail and running back to the door. No treat has been enough to entice her away from the door, it's the craziest thing. The first few days we had her she had no issue about going for a short walk or going into the yard. Now, nope, not doing it.

We are going to the vet again next week for a checkup and help trimming her nails.

Staff online

Members online