Disciplining Your Dog, Do They Know They've Done Wrong?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Despite the Guilty Look, Animal Behaviorists Insist Dogs Feel no Shame

by VETDEPOT on FEBRUARY 27, 2014

The next time you come home to an expensive pair of chewed up shoes, you may want to think twice about yelling “bad dog” and lecturing your puppy. Recent scientific findings suggest that dogs are actually incapable of feeling shame.

So what about that guilty expression, the tail between the legs, and the cowering head? Animal behaviorists attribute these “guilty” behaviors to the owner’s anger. Dogs are simply responding to their owners’ reactions and are unable to connect that anger with the damage they did earlier in the day.

This isn’t to say that dogs are incapable of learning from their behavior. If a reward or punishment is handed out immediately after the good/bad behavior, dogs are more likely to connect their actions with the consequences. They still may not feel shame, but they will realize that something bad happens when they behave a certain way. (It’s important to remember that punishment should never be physical, a firm “bad dog” will do.)

So, what is an owner supposed to do when they come home to the insides of their trashcan strewn all over the floor? According to Dr. Bonnie Beaver, executive director of the American College of Veterinary Behaviorists, “just get over it and remind yourself not to put temptation in the way next time.”

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I actually watched a show about this last weekend. It was pretty interesting for sure.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I think we all know not to put temptation in the way. Lol. But then when Sheldon does something he knows is wrong I don't even have to say anything he looks so ashamed of himself. He rarely ever does anything wrong if ever, but he has done it since he was a puppy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My doggies will always know immediately that the've done something wrong, before I even say a word… but they would still do it anyway… LMAO!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep.... I totally believe, correction any other time than when it is taking place, the pup has no idea why you are angry, they just no you are

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My doggies will always know immediately that the've done something wrong, before I even say a word… but they would still do it anyway… LMAO!!!

Ditto to that!:yes:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm skeptical about this "scientific research" by "animal behaviorists". I believe that dogs do know when they've done something wrong and they express this "guilt" or "shame" by looking away or avoiding eye contact with me. I don't even have to say anything to them to make them do this, all I need to do is walk into the room and when Finn is rummaging thru the trash for instance and sees me, he runs away and lays on his tummy 'cuz he know he did a "no-no".

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
My Bullmastiff definitely knows. He will look sheepish and act weird even if it is not obvious what he has done. Sometimes it has taken me a while to find the damage and I have deliberately looked for something because of his body language haha :0)

Jocha25

Feb 28, 2014
I never scold him cause usually it's my fault, the main thing he chews is Sky remote controls, but I should learn to leave them out of reach!!!

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I'm skeptical about this "scientific research" by "animal behaviorists". I believe that dogs do know when they've done something wrong and they express this "guilt" or "shame" by looking away or avoiding eye contact with me. I don't even have to say anything to them to make them do this, all I need to do is walk into the room and when Finn is rummaging thru the trash for instance and sees me, he runs away and lays on his tummy 'cuz he know he did a "no-no".

I have to agree with Henny...experts or no! If Dudley has done something naughty, he KNOWS. I haven't said a word and he's looking up at me with THAT look -- from behind the chair, where he has gone to hide!

Members online

No members online now.