Housetraining

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
I've got my 3 month old EB puppy that I'm working on housetraining; he's doing good but not where we thought we'd be. I take him to work everyday and he has accidents at work; I have made him an area in my office with a metal play pen; have his dog bed and crate and toys; still urinates on the carpet in his area and today he urinated in his crate; please help me with any feedback or suggestions? I feel bad keeping him confined to a crate; at home he's out or in his playpen; never just in a crate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
At his age, he needs to go out about every 20 minutes! The boy can't last all day at work without going out. He's just a little baby.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Hi Alicia!

While he is still so young, I would take him out on a strict schedule. About five minutes after eating or drinking, then every 20 to 30 minutes while he is awake in between. We didn't do this with our first bully, and it took forever to train her. On the other hand, we put Aubie on a strict schedule and she had it down in no time. We also used some of that spray you can get at pet stores that shows them where to pee and that helped her go quickly outside.

Also, the crate did help too. We put her in when she was cranky or needed a nap or we couldn't watch her like a hawk, and we gave her just enough room to turn around in. As they say, most dogs do not go where they sleep, especially if they can't get away from it when they do. It does suck to lock them in it, but I honestly believe it helps in house training. Since your pup comes to work with you, you can alternate times much easier so he can get quality play time and "quiet" time. I know when Aubie was a pup she was usually ready for a nap after about an hour of play.

BodiesMom

Feb 18, 2014
Eastern NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bodie
Hi Alicia!
With Bodie, we brought him home just over 6wks old, (whole other conversation!), but he was 75% potty trained within a week! I say 75% because the other 25% would be because no one saw him go to the door and within 1minute he'd say,"screw u, I'm peeing on the floor"! He never poo'd in the house until he was older and we'd let him go upstairs, where there's carpet and I guess that was confusing to him:/
But the way we got him trained...follow him everywhere! I mean every time he gets up to walk anywhere, follow! After food or water, take outside to the same area, make sure to repeatedly say what your going outside for, (we say "peepee potty outside"), always stress the word "OUTSIDE", reward for going w/either treats or just lots of loving praise(we used praise!) NEVER wait, he has a very small bladder that isn't strong enough to "hold it", so waiting even 30 seconds can mean pee in the house! If he does have an accident, if its within 30 seconds after he did it, then take him to it, point and show him and tell him"no no, we peepee potty outside". If its any amount of time over 30 seconds, it's useless to try to discipline, he won't know what he's being disciplined for cause he won't remember doing it. That 30 second rule goes for anything that he does wrong!
Hope some or any of this info helps!! Good Luck:)

BullyLove!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It does take time, and he is still pretty young. Just remember that when he wakes up, take him out, before and after eating take him out, after he plays, take him out and about every 30 minutes to an hour, take him out. Their little bladder are still small so they can only hold it for about an hour per month of age, so he is 3 months old so he will only hold it for 3 hours. But usually it's not that long, especially if they are playing, then it's like every 10 minutes. :) Good luck with the training, it will get better the older he gets.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
It's not unusual for a bulldog to take anywhere from 6-10 months before they finally get the potty training down 100%. Stay focused and positive and don't get upset at him as it will confuse him.

OP
Alicia Del Rosario

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
Thanks for all the great replies! We are still working on it but I'm sure he will get it down; the vet said at our visit this week that while at the office I should keep him solely confined to his crate and take him out every three hours; then when I bring him in take him back out in 15 minutes; she said to that for a week or so and gradually give him more freedom and extend the time to 4 hours; honestly kind of confusing but I will give it a try; that's where he's having his accidents is at the office; I get busy with something and miss his cue to go out :(

satch1151

Dec 18, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rambo
I know this is a little old but when I was training Rambo every time he went outside or stood by the door to go out we would over praise him. And he is 5 months old and has been doing great for about 2 months. He has accidents sometimes , but its mostly our fault not seeing him. We have to do our part to and watch for signs. He stands by the door but if we take to long he will bark. If we still do not get the hint for some reason he will start sniffing around. And well we all know what's next.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

OP
Alicia Del Rosario

Alicia Del Rosario

Mar 1, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yogi
Thanks for the feedback; I'm giving him treats when he goes out. He's very food driven so I hope this helps.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.