New Owner - Crate Questions

alifedrau

Mar 3, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba
Hi everyone!

I will be getting an 8 week old English bulldog on May 9. YAY! Couple of questions though. Where is the best place to put the crate? We have a smaller living room and kitchen upstairs but that is where we spend most of the time, and we have a lower level living room that can be sanctioned off with baby gates but spend less time down there. Where do you suggest?

Also, does anyone have any reviews on the Kong Space Saving Double Door crate, and if you're familiar with it, does it come with a divider?

Any tips on anything general to get my started is also appreciated!!

Thanks!!!!

Ali

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome2:to EBN and congratulations on getting a new pup! I, personally like to have their crate where they are not so isolated. It is good to crate train-make it a good place to be, not an isolation chamber. Some people have them in a different room at bedtime, some have them in their bedroom, and some have the dog in their bed with them. It IS a matter of choice. I would have the crate in an area where you spend most of your time-or at least near it. Make sure you have toys that he can chew on-like Kongs and Nylabones, but not the edible kind. No rawhides. Nothing small enough to swallow. If you give stuffed toys-must watch as he grows because many will pull stuffing and eat it. They will swallow anything that they can!! As far as the crate-I don't know about those kind-but someone here will. Best Wishes with your new baby!! :babysleep::paci:

Kansascitymama

Jan 11, 2014
Northern, VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr. Beefy & Miss. Dutchess McWigglesworth
Welcome to EBN, I have our dogs crates in the Kitchen. I would have them in the sun room, but the wood floors in there can not take the abuse from nails. So the next space left was the kitchen easy access to outside for potty time.

OP
A

alifedrau

Mar 3, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba
Thanks so much! I am trying to find tips / steps on how to properly potty train/crate train the pups. Any advice??

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello and :welcome3: to EBN..... Angie and Lynn got you cover with great info/ advice.

congrats on your new baby.... Looking forward to pictures

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Welcome to the site. The gang has you covered well enough.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Patients,patients and even more patients as what's needed with a bulldog also being very firm and let her know what you expect from her,it's all well and good when they are small and cute but those habits picked up while small and cute tend to be not so cute when they are teenagers and adults lol ,congrats on your puppy

OP
A

alifedrau

Mar 3, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pumba
Thanks so much! One more question lol. I know to put a crate bed and a couple toys
in the crate. however, if he will be sleeping in the crate at night, is
it okay to have the food and water outside of the crate or does he need water in the crate too?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks so much! One more question lol. I know to put a crate bed and a couple toys
it okay to have the food and water outside of the crate or does he need water in the crate too?

I never put water in with them when sleeping.... But some may

Jan 12, 2014
McAllen, TX
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
ACE (The Bathound)
Welcome to EBN, I have our dogs crates in the Kitchen. I would have them in the sun room, but the wood floors in there can not take the abuse from nails. So the next space left was the kitchen easy access to outside for potty time.

Exactly my situation! I have mine in the kitchen. I would have him in my room, but crate does not fit.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess

I wouldnt put put any toys in the crate unsupervised as the she might swallow a piece without you knowing- these pups have jaws of steel. Also as far as bedding I wouldn't put anything in either as a lot of bully pups tend to pee on bedding as they are going through the potty training stage- why I couldn't tell you but both mine did. Duchess grew out of if. Duke will be 1 this month and he still gets no bedding because he chew it. He has finally grew out of the piddling on the bedding though. Potty training can be frustrating be patient! Take them out every 2 hours. Rule of thumb is they can only hold their bladder for 1 hour every month in age they are. Good luck and congrats.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Also as far as wire crates I have always found them cheapest on amazon 36" is sufficient size. I wouldn't get caught up in buying a kong crate you will pay for the name unnecessarily. Amazon has Midwest double door 36" crate for $55.99 with free shipping. This is the crate I have and it's plentiful and it comes with the divider.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online